Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Florida v California

Options
  • 17-09-2012 6:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭

Looking for recommendations from anyone with experience of the following cities. Which would be money well spent in terms of fun and sightseeing for a solo traveller.

Miami/Ft. Lauderdale, Everglades etc. or LA to San Fran Yosemite etc. Time of year would be January/February.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Beibheann84

I would pick L.A. and San Fran, hands down anyday. I would also suggest renting a car and driving along the coast from San Fran to L.A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 177 ✭✭Birdster

I would pick L.A. and San Fran, hands down anyday. I would also suggest renting a car and driving along the coast from San Fran to L.A.

Cool, just did a quick scan on pricing, Miami is nuts expensive! I can do a camping & bus tour for 14days on the west coast for nearly the same price as a week in Miami. That's madness! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭SpatialPlanning

I just got back from LA/San Fran. I'd definitely recommend it! Beautiful spot, especially along the coast - Monterrey, Big Sur etc.

It's an expensive place... Check out airbnb.com - cheapish rooms available...

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭Enright

Been in both, San Fran win hand down, would have loved to stay longer, didnt like LA though, great theme parks if you are into that

Shopping in Florida was better, weather on west coast more suitable to irish people

Enright wrote: »
    Been in both, San Fran win hand down, would have loved to stay longer, didnt like LA though, great theme parks if you are into that

Shopping in Florida was better, weather on west coast more suitable to irish people

I thought it would be warmer in LA in January/February than in Florida? 25C would be fabulous. I'm swaying towards the west coast now.......and I don't like shopping, it's the adventure that matters :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭steve-o

If you are looking for warm weather, bear in mind that while Southern California will be warm in the winter, the east and north of the state will be cooler. Yosemite (and Grand Canyon if you head that way) will be very cold with snow likely. Access to Yosemite will be limited - only one road stays open in the winter. But if you are into skiing then it's a great time to go!

steve-o wrote: »
    If you are looking for warm weather, bear in mind that while Southern California will be warm in the winter, the east and north of the state will be cooler. Yosemite (and Grand Canyon if you head that way) will be very cold with snow likely. Access to Yosemite will be limited - only one road stays open in the winter. But if you are into skiing then it's a great time to go!

Oooh yes I never thought of that Steve :eek: It's probably better to visit Yosemite in Spring....hmmm. Feckit. South Coast of California then so...San Diego, Santa Barbara etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

best time to visit yosemite is june when the rivers, waterfalls etc are in full force after the icemelt, spectacular sight, weather is warmer in southern florida in jan/feb than in LA for sure, parts of the LA valley get snow that time of year and nights are quite cold, you should be able to get decent priced accommodation in fort lauderdale, miami beach especially south beach is expensive for hotels, then again LA and san franc aren't exactly cheap either in that regard, try http://www.trivago.com

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

If you want beaches and sun then go to Florida. The winter is when everyone goes to Florida. Thats what its for really, the only people who go there in the summer are people from the UK, Ireland and Scandinavia.

But California will be beautiful weather too. Just not beach weather. And it can rain and be chilly as well.

But for varied and stunning scenery then it has to be California.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

Birdster wrote: »
    Oooh yes I never thought of that Steve :eek: It's probably better to visit Yosemite in Spring....hmmm. Feckit. South Coast of California then so...San Diego, Santa Barbara etc.

It's been very very dry, and supposedly will continue to be, so Yosemite may still be a nice place to visit. Also, the log cabins may be very affordable if you are the type that enjoys lovely winter forest break.

• Advertisement

I'm even more confused now, everyone has good arguments for both places! If I won the Lottery I wouldn't have to make this decision! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

California gets my vote - beautiful scenery, friendly people, the high desert:D. Of all the places I've been, Miami is the only one I hope to never see again. Hell on earth.

planetX wrote: »
    Of all the places I've been, Miami is the only one I hope to never see again. Hell on earth.

Really? What makes you say that?

Birdster wrote: »
    Really? What makes you say that?

I'll help answer. Miami is a huge, HUGE metro area. If you like bustle, noise, miami vice, humidity, mosquitoes, more humidity, cubans, and some humidity, it may work out well for you ;)

It's just a very different feel from the west coast.

When folks abroad ask me where to visit in the US, I always, always tell them the first place to visit is San Francisco. It is almost designed to be a tourist destination. Salsalito, Napa, Berkeley, even Santa Cruz are within driving distance. The Bay Area has light rail that almost works ;) SF itself has decent public transport and excellent, affordable cabs. The last time I was in SF and needed a cab, I turned toward the street, noticed one up mebbe 40 yards away, waved my hand at him, and was in a cab in seconds and paid half what I last paid for one in Dublin.

I went to high school and college in California. More specifically, San Jose and near Yosemite. I have visited yosemite dozens and dozens of times. The last time there I rented a log cabin in the Wawona area during a very cold and snowy winter and absolutely loved it. Very quiet, very tranquil. They have snow plows going, and require chains(I had a 4X4, tho), but the roads were open because they usually only get snow and no sleet or rain when ti freezes.

So, if I were you, I would go:

SF - Santa Cruz - Yosemite(if ya like beach) or
    SF - Sausalito - napa - Yosemite(If ya like wine and countryside)

Bear in mind that the leg from the bay area to yosemite is gonna take some time and go across some relatively boring terrain. But it is worth it once you hit yosemite. There's nothing really like Yosemite in Europe. Bring warm clothes.

Here's one of several sites that rent cabins:
    http://www.redwoodsinyosemite.com/cabins.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Thanks Reindeer - you hit the nail on the head there:D

The everglades are lovely, but not a lot of variety. I don't know how long you could spend there... if it's an outdoor holiday then California has so much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,358 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Reindeer wrote: »
    I'll help answer. Miami is a huge, HUGE metro area. If you like bustle, noise, miami vice, humidity, mosquitoes, more humidity, cubans, and some humidity, it may work out well for you ;)

metro area, but miami itself is only 35sq miles making it one of the smallest "big cities" in the states and even then how much of miami do tourists really visit, south beach, downtown for maybe a game, miami is one if not the cleanest big city in the states, southbeach is great, i have been to miami in november, march and april and there was no humidity, i was in LA in late june 12 years ago and the humidity was unbearable and to be fair the op talked about visiting in january when there is no chance of mosquitoes or humidity in miami

Advertisement