Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Supporting or follow more than one team?

• 17-09-2012 6:55pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭

I'd like to enquire with y'all, do any of you out there support or follow more than one football team?

I support Liverpool in the EPL and Bohemians in the LOI. I follow Everton, Crystal Palace and Celtic. When Liverpool come up against Everton, I always want the 'Pool to prevail but other than that, I like Everton a lot. It doesn't matter to me that they are supposed Merseyside rivals, they're great clubs.

How about ye?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,169 ✭✭✭shanec1928

no

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭Savage Tyrant

I'm Celtic all the way. And other than buying the odd Barcelona jersey, Celtic is the only club I'd spend money on.

I do like Barca though and like to see them win in Spain and the Champions League.... And if asked the question which team I'd like to win the EPL I'd say Man Utd though in truth I'm not really bothered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

People can like lots of teams, but you can only support one. Anything else is ridiculous.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Support just Manchester United but also have a real interest in Inter.
    Plenty of other clubs I like,too many to mention.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

CSF wrote: »
    People can like lots of teams, but you can only support one. Anything else is ridiculous.

I support Chelsea but have always liked Real Madrid wouldn't buy their jersey or anything though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Liverpool. AFC Wimbledon, and Sligo Rovers.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,393 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I don't agree with that, I'd always support my local club but I continue to support them even after I leave.

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I support Shels.

I like lots of other teams in loads of other leagues to do well, and watch out for them.

Mostly because I've been to see them.

Sydney FC
    Carmarthen Town
    Hertha Berlin
    Man U
    Real Madrid
    Inter Milan
    Stenhousemuir

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Longford Town and that is it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

Des wrote: »
    Carmarthen Town

DIE!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Support Liverpool but have ended up with a little group of other clubs who I semi follow now due to them being clubs that I used for my live footy fix when I lived in the countries they are based in.

My main "other" clubs would be

Stuttgart
    Dortmund
    Standard Liege
    Limerick FC
    Toulouse
    Rosenborg

Other than Limerick FC I don't currently get to go to more than one or two games a season involving my other clubs though.:( I get to somewhere between 20 and 25 LFC games each season, more when there are a few good cup runs, and that really eats into my non LFC match going time as I try to catch a number of ressie games each season as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

My number 1 is Manchester United. I keep an eye on Watford results but wouldn't consider myself as a supporter.

I can see my likeness of Galway United grow as I'm now involved with the club on a voluntary basis. I always kept an eye out for results but never really went to Terryland as such. I'll be at every home game the U19's play this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

I don't see the problem when one is your local 'Sunday league' team and the other is a massive team abroad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

I support Liverpool. But I also like to see Celtic, Barcelona and Coventry winning. My son plays for Creeves Celtic so they are my no1. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 431 ✭✭1967

I suport Liverpool and Hibernian and travel over to watch both of them

Owen_S wrote: »
    I don't see the problem when one is your local 'Sunday league' team and the other is a massive team abroad.
    Its not a problem, it just can't be done. What happens if the 2 clubs play each other somehow? You can't support a team and not hope they win every game at least 20-0.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,379 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Its not a problem, it just can't be done. What happens if the 2 clubs play each other somehow? You can't support a team and not hope they win every game at least 20-0.

It depends what level the two teams you support are at. If you support a LOI team and a EPL/La Liga/BL team or whatever, then what are the chances of them ever meeting? I'll take that chance.

I know someone who supports Man U, Celtic and Barcelona to death (bit of a success whore). Now that is something I can't understand. They could easily meet any season, and have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

My main focus is, and will always be, on Borussia Dortmund, because it's my home town. From the cradle to the grave, so to speak.

But I also support (even to a lower extent), Liverpool (I admired Kenny Dalglish as a child), Celtic (friendly bonds to Borussia Dortmund since Murdo McLeod came to Dortmund) and Shels (Tolka is round the corner from me, and Shels have very decent supporters)

There's also soft spots for St.Pauli and Athletic Bilbao.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

I only really care about Shels' results.

The rest don't affect me in any way.

Oh, Inter won today - cool. They lost? Meh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Chelsea.

Then I watch AC Milan and Real Madrid. Used to go to Cork City matches with buddies but havent been in years. No interest in anyone else really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

Support Newcastle and Bohemians. Only recently have I gained an emotional involvement with Bohs as the club president lives near me and always end up on the bus with him after games. Sound lad and his passion for the club is fantastic. Rubbed off on me a little bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Support Ajax and Liverpool. If they ever meet I'd want Ajax to win, but I can pretty much enjoy both completely separately as they very rarely even play at the same time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭Where To

I support soccer, cried my heart out when Mahindra United in the Indian league went bust.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

I've been supporting Liverpool since 95 and Dortmund since 06.

Follow quite a few teams across the world, a lot of them I've seen play live too.

Oatesy23 wrote: »
    It depends what level the two teams you support are at. If you support a LOI team and a EPL/La Liga/BL team or whatever, then what are the chances of them ever meeting? I'll take that chance.

I know someone who supports Man U, Celtic and Barcelona to death (bit of a success whore). Now that is something I can't understand. They could easily meet any season, and have.
    Its not a conscious chance to take. Its just one of those things. If theres a game where you'd be hoping a team loses, you don't really support them. You might like them, but supporting a football club is one of the biggest commitments you'll make in life. Up there with marriage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Don't find it difficult to support 2 teams, had a season ticket from the age of about 7 until 13 or 14 at Chelsea so went most home games then and a lot away with my dad and 2 brothers, times when I couldn't go to see them I would go to Northampton Town as thats where I lived.

When I got older and had to buy my own tickets (!) I couldn't afford to go to Chelsea that often, train, ticket, pint etc. so I went Northampton's games home and away and went to Chels a couple of times a season.

There has never been a clash of loyalty, nor is there likely to be as they move in VERY different circles. Would probably support Northampton over Chelsea now though.

If there was still a LOI team nearby I would still go, but there isnt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,465 ✭✭✭kitakyushu

Out of interest what is the difference between "support" and "follow"?

kitakyushu wrote: »

I would say, 'support' has something to do with visiting matches.

But what is the difference between 'fans' and 'supporters'?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

I like to see United and Arsenal do well, I guess I'm a United fan but I have alot of respect for Arsene Wenger

I was happy Chelsea won the CL aswell, mainly because I felt players like Lampard and Drogba deserved it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,337 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Supporting Leeds is hard enough going without throwing another team into the mix.

Zaph wrote: »
    Supporting Leeds is hard enough going without throwing another team into the mix.

What about Borussia Dortmund, since Leeds and Dortmund are twin cities and one of the main squares in Dortmund's city centre being called 'Square of Leeds' (Platz von Leeds)?

;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭G.K.

I follow BVB's (Among others) results but Leeds are the only team I 'support'.

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 47,337 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Lars1916 wrote: »
    What about Borussia Dortmund, since Leeds and Dortmund are twin cities and one of the main squares in Dortmund's city centre being called 'Square of Leeds' (Platz von Leeds)?

;)

Didn't know that, but I'm currently managing them in Football Manager. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Lars1916 wrote: »
    My main focus is, and will always be, on Borussia Dortmund, because it's my home town. From the cradle to the grave, so to speak.

But I also support (even to a lower extent), Liverpool (I admired Kenny Dalglish as a child), Celtic (friendly bonds to Borussia Dortmund since Murdo McLeod came to Dortmund) and Shels (Tolka is round the corner from me, and Shels have very decent supporters)

There's also soft spots for St.Pauli and Athletic Bilbao.

Which one of them are you referring to? I think they're both sound.

Zaph wrote: »
    Didn't know that, but I'm currently managing them in Football Manager. :)

Since 1969, as mentioned here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dortmund

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

nuxxx wrote: »
    I like to see United and Arsenal do well, I guess I'm a United fan but I have alot of respect for Arsene Wenger

I was happy Chelsea won the CL aswell, mainly because I felt players like Lampard and Drogba deserved it
    C4T9YXv+_original.jpg

Omackeral wrote: »
    Which one of them are you referring to? I think they're both sound.

I think, they are called 'Briogaid' and 'Dearg'

:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

I support Man Utd, Hibs and Cork City since 1989.

Dont give 2 ****s what anyone else of my support to them. Thankfully only gotten odd remark in here about it, but between the 3 I have been to over 300+ games..about 200 games Cork City; 90 Man Utd and 60 Hibs games.(rough estimates)

Funny enough this weekend im off to see all 3 of my teams as they play on 3 separate days and lucky to have got ticket for Anfield. Rarely do it.

Also support Ireland and been to quite number games home and away also.

I support Man Utd, Hibs and Cork City since 1989.

Dont give 2 ****s what anyone else of my support to them. Thankfully only gotten odd remark in here about it, but between the 3 I have been to over 300+ games..about 200 games Cork City; 90 Man Utd and 60 Hibs games.(rough estimates)

Funny enough this weekend im off to see all 3 of my teams as they play on 3 separate days and lucky to have got ticket for Anfield. Rarely do it.

Also support Ireland and been to quite number games home and away also.

That's pretty damn impressive it must he said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Madworld

Its not a conscious chance to take. Its just one of those things. If theres a game where you'd be hoping a team loses, you don't really support them. You might like them, but supporting a football club is one of the biggest commitments you'll make in life. Up there with marriage.

Thats bollox. I'v a mate who is a member of Bohs and gets to 15+ Liverpool games a year.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I actively support Manchester City, Shelbourne and Perth Glory.

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

kitakyushu wrote: »

Speaking for myself of course. When I say that I follow a team. I mean that I look out for their results and I want to them to do well mainly. If they are on TV, I might watch them whereas with Liverpool and Dortmund I will try my damnedest to watch them both unless the timing of their matches clash. In this case hopefully one is on the box, and the other one I can stream :)

I'll probably be adding NY Red Bulls to the teams I support soon enough I should add, once I move out there next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,625 ✭✭✭✭Johner

I support Chelsea but I do like to see St Pats do well as I used to play for them at underage level and had a season ticket. Also when I was over for a Chelsea game away at Birmingham I went to see Burton Albion as they were at home on the Friday night so look out for their results now, would watch the football league show just to see the goals.

Madworld wrote: »
    Thats bollox. I'v a mate who is a member of Bohs and gets to 15+ Liverpool games a year.
    Grand so what does he do if Bohs get Liverpool in a Europa League qualifier. Suddenly he ain't supporting one of them anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

I think it's perfectly possible to support several teams.

My main team will always be Antwerp, but I also support Rangers and West Ham.
    And then there's some other teams I follow, like Lazio, HSV and due to living there the 2 big Berlin teams.

All of whom I have visited on more than one occasion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

I support Manchester United and Waterford United.

Have a huge interest in Rochdale, I also like Milan and a few other teams, but after the two Uniteds and Rochdale anything else would just be a case of hoping the team does well but not too pushed either way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,493 ✭✭✭DazMarz

I'm a Chelsea supporter first and foremost, but other teams I have a soft spot for (but wouldn't be as fanatical about) include:

Real Madrid
    Internazionale Milano
    Bayern Munich
    Bray Wanderers
    Glasgow Rangers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Vex Willems

Des wrote: »
    Stenhousemuir

Another Warrior follower? :eek:

They'd be my scottish team, haven't made it over there yet but hopefully some day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

Celtic first, Liverpool second(I'm one of those Donegal ones who never left them for ManU:()last of all Benfica(got to pet Victoria once - proud moment;))

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,954 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

DIE!!!

Don't you mean Dai? :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement