Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Supporting or follow more than one team?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,627 ✭✭✭Sgt Pepper 64

Chelsea first and foremost
    and then

Celtic
    Newcastle
    MK Dons
    Shels
    2 flies (As my wife would say, when she "catches" me watching Watford v Crystal Palace for example)
    Random "big games" Pool v Utd, City v RM etc etc
    and then somehow you start caring who wins!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭Lumbo

Everton
    Rep of Ireland
    Shamrock Rovers
    Barca
    Milan
    Ajax (not so much but I lived there for a few years and got a few games in).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,991 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

CSF wrote: »
    Grand so what does he do if Bohs get Liverpool in a Europa League qualifier. Suddenly he ain't supporting one of them anymore.
    Its quite simple really. He is going to pick one of them over the other and know which is his true no.1 club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭RayCon

Liverpool & Ballyoulster United U17's B ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

CSF wrote: »
    Grand so what does he do if Bohs get Liverpool in a Europa League qualifier. Suddenly he ain't supporting one of them anymore.

That made me chuckle.

I support Man United, and they're the only club who affect me emotionally.

I have developed a soft spot for a couple of other clubs though. Shamrock Rovers, because they are the closest to where I grew up and their ground was a stones throw from where I went to college.

Also, Real Madrid, but I'm pretty sure that's due to supporting United. Ronaldo going there, combined with my dislike for Barcelona, has caused me to start rooting for them.

That made me chuckle.

It's probably unlikely they'll meet in the EPL in fairness.

rarnes1 wrote: »
    It's probably unlikely they'll meet in the EPL in fairness.

Ah I was only messing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭The Mulk

RayCon wrote: »
    Liverpool & Ballyoulster United U17's B ....

A sporting chance for all;)

I'm a Liverpool supporter and developed a soft spot for Valencia, due the Benitez link. Took a trip over a few years back, when they had Villa, Mata and Silva. It was a great experience.

• Advertisement

Ah I was only messing.

I know, I should have attached a smiley! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Support Limerick F.C first and foremost. I like Liverpool too but not to the same extent. I became a bit disillusioned with the Premier League as I got older and more mature. Still want Liverpool to do well though.

It's ridiculous to say you can't support two teams. Limerick F.C and Liverpool are in two different spheres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Jelle1880 wrote: »
    I think it's perfectly possible to support several teams.

My main team will always be Antwerp, but I also support Rangers and West Ham.
    And then there's some other teams I follow, like Lazio, HSV and due to living there the 2 big Berlin teams.

All of whom I have visited on more than one occasion.

BFC Dynamo and Berliner AK? ;)

Berliner AK are cool, they hammered Hoppenheim out of the cup, fair play to them :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭RayCon

The Mulk wrote: »

If they actually lived by that motto I'd probably support the whole club ;) , as it stands I just support the U17's B team :pac:

• Site Banned Posts: 26,456 ✭✭✭✭Nuri Sahin

The Mulk wrote: »

I'm a Liverpool supporter and developed a soft spot for Valencia, due the Benitez link. Took a trip over a few years back, when they had Villa, Mata and Silva. It was a great experience.

Likewise with myself and Valencia. I've always liked watching them for the most part over the last decade and a bit. But it was really Rafa's time at the club and when I was over in Valencia for a few days and got to see them play that I became fond of them. Also liked their squads over the years, especially the one with Ayala, Vicente, Angulo, Baraja and Albelda. Great supporters too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭The Mulk

-Ade- wrote: »
    Likewise with myself and Valencia. I've always liked watching them for the most part over the last decade and a bit. But it was really Rafa's time at the club and when I was over in Valencia for a few days and got to see them play that I became fond of them. Also liked their squads over the years, especially the one with Ayala, Vicente, Angulo, Baraja and Albelda. Great supporters too.

I remember them beating Leeds,(my dad was disgusted),in the semis of the CL and then in 02 I think beating Liverpool home and away, played us off the park.
    Loved being over there, prob. my favourite city to visit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭premierstone

Don't agree with the perception that you cant support more than one team, I have been a Celtic and Arsenal fan for over 20 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,320 ✭✭✭v3ttel

United fan first and foremost.

Follow:
    Sheffield Wednesday,
    Sporting Libson,
    Limerick,
    Atletico Madrid

If Ireland get knocked out of a tournament (or don't qualify :() I always like to see Portugal do well. Friendly people & some great technical players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,954 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Firstly a Liverpool fan but I follow other clubs like
    Celtic
    Vfb Stuttgart
    Shamrock Rovers
    Atletico Madrid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Kess73 wrote: »
    Support Liverpool but have ended up with a little group of other clubs who I semi follow now due to them being clubs that I used for my live footy fix when I lived in the countries they are based in.

My main "other" clubs would be

Stuttgart
    Dortmund
    Standard Liege
    Limerick FC
    Toulouse
    Rosenborg

Other than Limerick FC I don't currently get to go to more than one or two games a season involving my other clubs though.:( I get to somewhere between 20 and 25 LFC games each season, more when there are a few good cup runs, and that really eats into my non LFC match going time as I try to catch a number of ressie games each season as well.
    magma69 wrote: »
    Support Limerick F.C first and foremost. I like Liverpool too but not to the same extent. I became a bit disillusioned with the Premier League as I got older and more mature. Still want Liverpool to do well though.

It's ridiculous to say you can't support two teams. Limerick F.C and Liverpool are in two different spheres.
    Rooney10 wrote: »
    United fan first and foremost.

Follow:
    Sheffield Wednesday,
    Sporting Libson,
    Limerick,
    Atletico Madrid

If Ireland get knocked out of a tournament (or don't qualify :() I always like to see Portugal do well. Friendly people & some great technical players.

It's like a packed Jackman Park in here today. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭srfc19

That_Guy wrote: »
    Support Newcastle and Bohemians. Only recently have I gained an emotional involvement with Bohs as the club president lives near me and always end up on the bus with him after games. Sound lad and his passion for the club is fantastic. Rubbed off on me a little bit.

Sounds like his "passion" isn't just for the club!! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,982 ✭✭✭billyhead

DazMarz wrote: »
    I'm a Chelsea supporter first and foremost, but other teams I have a soft spot for (but wouldn't be as fanatical about) include:

Real Madrid
    Internazionale Milano
    Bayern Munich
    Bray Wanderers
    Glasgow Rangers

Glory Hunter:D

I support obviously the Irish football team, Man Utd and always look out for St Pats results

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,592 ✭✭✭✭CSF

eagle eye wrote: »
    Its quite simple really. He is going to pick one of them over the other and know which is his true no.1 club.
    Yeah, the team he actually supports.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

Lars1916 wrote: »
    BFC Dynamo and Berliner AK? ;)

Berliner AK are cool, they hammered Hoppenheim out of the cup, fair play to them :D

Ha, Dynamo are not exactly a favourite team in Berlin :D

No, obviously I'm talking about Türkiyemspor and Tennis Borussia Berlin :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

I'm a Nottingham Forest supporter since I was knee high, go to a few games every year. I've always said id never want to "support" another team.

I've always been an admirer of the Italian game, and have developed a big liking for Napoli in the last 2-3 years, even going to a couple of games in the San Paolo. I would describe myself as a fan of theirs, not a supporter.

And obviously Limerick FC since they were my local club growing up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Jason Todd

I'd support Liverpool and Waterford United but have a soft spot for Real Madrid, Schalke and Doncaster Rovers, and always like to see AC Milan, Dundee Utd and Marseille do well.

I look out for teams results for a weird number of reasons, friends might live in that area, or I like their kit or I once played as them in Football Manager or something like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,666 ✭✭✭ollaetta

Not so much support but there would be teams in most European leagues I'd look out for. Could be for any reason; small teams who get promoted to top divisions, odd names, places I've visited etc. etc.

Was delighted Montpelier won the French league last year as I stayed there a few times on hols. and loved the city. They've also got a complete nutter as an owner but that's another story.

Ha, Dynamo are not exactly a favourite team in Berlin :D

No, obviously I'm talking about Türkiyemspor and Tennis Borussia Berlin :pac:

Their Eishockey-team is quite good though ;)

And do you remember Blau Weiss 90? Kalle Riedle, one of Borussia Dortmund's greatest strikers, played for them :D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,839 ✭✭✭Jelle1880

I don't live in Berlin anymore, but I made a list of all the football teams and where they played, managed to see around 7 or so :p
    Not BW90 though.

Hockey is **** though, went once, never again.

I don't live in Berlin anymore, but I made a list of all the football teams and where they played, managed to see around 7 or so :p
    Not BW90 though.

Hockey is **** though, went once, never again.

The original club went bust in 1992, the Newco is in the lowest division ever since.

I went to Hockey a few times in Dortmund, they always played directly after Borussia's Under 23 team. More about the fun, rather than interest in the sport itself. And they served lovely mulled wine for a Euro the cup :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Derry City - Hence the name which since Man City have started to win has gotten people thinking I support them.

Liverpool - The signature picture should have people I dont follow Man City

Impact de Montréal - Seen them play before getting into the MLS

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭sheao

Supporting a team for me would be going to matches on a regular basis.

Cork City are the only team that I support. Have to say there is no better feeling than seeing your hometown club winning a league/cup.
    One of the first games I went to was when they won the premier division in 2005 in a night that will stay with every City fan that was packed into the Cross that night.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭gronemeyer

Supporting Saint Patricks Athletic since well forever.

Also travel over to Germany to watch the odd VFL Bochum game, and I don't mind Hansa Rostock either!

Santa Fe in Colombia.

And because of mates I like to see both Lazio, Cardiff and Wrexham doing well.

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭MuPpItJoCkEy

As a kid, I loved playing football but didn't like sitting in watching it but one day on our black and tv with feck all channels on it at the time, watched a Manchester United game and loved it so since then, Man United are my team.

In France, I follow FC Nantes Atlantique as most of my family are from Nantes and have been to a few of their games and anytime I'm over there, always try to get to a match.

When I was younger, I did support Celtic but now, not so much. Felt I wasn't really supporting them for football reasons as such. I would still want them to do well in Europe and all that.

I do like to look out for Benfica as I have a lot of Portuguese mates and they've roped me into watching them play that many times that now, I keep an eye on how things going with them.

Otherwise, when I lived in London, the local team was Brentford and had been to their matches and stilll keep an eye on how things going there.

If United were to play any of these teams, I would be up for Man United and it's as simple as that.

Although both my parents are French, I was born and raised here. Ireland is where the heart lies. I've support Ireland internationally and even when we've played France and I was at the matches, always wearing my Irish jersey with pride.

That's me.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Shamrock Rovers member/ST holder for 7 years and supporting them for 24 years.

Then:

Barcelona
    1860 Munich

And miscellaneous interest in:

Juventus
    Inverness Caledonian Thistle
    Portland Timbers
    Rubin Kazan
    Bloemfontein Celtic

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

1 - Bohs
    2 - Tottenham
    3 - Hertha Berlin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

You know , I am a Chelsea fan , always have been , always will be......

However I certainly ' follow ' other teams , for a number of years I went to more Arsenal games than Chelsea although I never ' shouted for them '

After all , you are at Baker St stn at 2:30 on a Sat afternoon , if you go one direction you can see Chelsea vs Rotherham in the 2nd div and pay ( I think ) 2 quid , the other direction you see Arsenal Vs Liverpool and pay 1 quid .

Strangely I wasn't the only one , you would often bump into people wanting results from other games because actually they were supporters of someone else.

I would always watch for Arsenal's results , EXCEPT when they are playing Chelsea , and when they are going for a cup/title that Chelsea could win.

When I moved to Ireland I watched Kildare County until their demise , but have not followed anyone else here.

I also have a soft spot for Arbroath ( strange but true :-) )

gronemeyer wrote: »

Also travel over to Germany to watch the odd VFL Bochum game, and I don't mind Hansa Rostock either!

Santa Fe in Colombia.

Did you ever see a match in the Ostseestadion? You have the 'Fanprojekt' nearby, the do lovely barbecues in the summer :D

• Registered Users Posts: 449 ✭✭stephen_k

Man United supporter...Started supporting them in I think 1984 when Frank Stapleton came to a local sports store and I got his autograph (if it was a couple of years earlier I might have been an Arsenal fan :eek:)...

Don't really support any other football team (Ireland team apart)... Would take an interest in any teams that have ex United players, playing for them or managing them...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

gronemeyer wrote: »

Santa Fe in Colombia.

You'll be delighted to hear that I got Rostock relegated in FM12 then in my first season and rightly got the sack. :cool::pac:

I don't like Bochum. They go after my Waterford United players. :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭Broxi_Bear_Eire

Rangers and Rangers reserves
    been to see other teams but support them no chance

What about HSV and HSV reserves?

Lars1916 wrote: »
    What about HSV and HSV reserves?

Why the feck would I want to support a German team not all of us do in fact I would say a lot more don't than do. We don't need love in's like yourselves ans St Pauli :p

Why the feck would I want to support a German team not all of us do in fact I would say a lot more don't than do. We don't need love in's like yourselves ans St Pauli :p

There's even a long term and very deep love affair with Borussia Dortmund :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 843 ✭✭✭- bo -

I follow Bohs, then look out for..

Nantes (Were my dad's local team, half my family is from near Nantes, been to a couple of games)
    Man United (Childhood thing, again I've been a couple of times but not really too arsed anymore)
    Hibs (Met a couple of Hibs lads in Dalymount a while back who welcomed us over, have to try get on it soon. Also look out for results since Fenlon went there)

That_Guy wrote: »
    Support Newcastle and Bohemians. Only recently have I gained an emotional involvement with Bohs as the club president lives near me and always end up on the bus with him after games. Sound lad and his passion for the club is fantastic. Rubbed off on me a little bit.

The dirty bollox :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

What about sevco :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Only club I've ever supported is Leeds.

I like seeing some teams do well (Everton, Arsenal, City) just as i like seeing teams do badly (Man U, Celtic/Rangers, Liverpool).

Local club (Newry) has just been removed from the Irish league so that's one less result to look out for :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

Magill wrote: »
    Only club I've ever supported is Leeds.

I like seeing some teams do well (Everton, Arsenal, City) just as i like seeing teams do badly (Man U, Celtic/Rangers, Liverpool).

Local club (Newry) has just been removed from the Irish league so that's one less result to look out for :P

What happened with Newry pal?

LiamoSail wrote: »
    What about sevco :pac:

No such team but if your happy looking stupid carry on who am I to stop you ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭SEANoftheDEAD

I support Manchester United. I use the term support loosely, cause I watch them on tele most of the time and go over maybe once every 2 seasons. Can't really call myself a proper fan...

On a local level, I follow Shamrock Rovers, as they are now based 10mins away. But in truth I like LoI football as a whole, rather then one club. I really wish the league would start to do well.

There are clubs in every league that I keep an eye on and hope they win and my interest in these clubs have been there since childhood.

France - Paris St. Germain & Lyon
    Germany - Borussia Dortmund & St. Pauli
    Italy - Juventus & Roma
    Spain - Athletico Madrid
    Portugal - Porto
    Holland - Ajax
    Greece - Olympiakos
    USA - LA Galaxy

I support Manchester United. I use the term support loosely, cause I watch them on tele most of the time and go over maybe once every 2 seasons. Can't really call myself a proper fan...

On a local level, I follow Shamrock Rovers, as they are now based 10mins away. But in truth I like LoI football as a whole, rather then one club. I really wish the league would start to do well.

There are clubs in every league that I keep an eye on and hope they win and my interest in these clubs have been there since childhood.

France - Paris St. Germain & Lyon
    Germany - Borussia Dortmund & St. Pauli
    Italy - Juventus & Roma
    Spain - Athletico Madrid
    Portugal - Porto
    Holland - Ajax
    Greece - Olympiakos
    USA - LA Galaxy

Good man yourself, the amount of Borussia Dortmund supporters here is growing by the day :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement