Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is this dress suitable for a Christening?

• 17-09-2012 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 25

Heya, could anyone give me an opinion on if this dress is suitable for a Christening? I've actually never been to one so don't know the protocol.
    I have pink shoes similar to this photo with the black lace over it, only closed toe and a bag that matches the shoes, I was thinking probably a satin wrap over my shoulders too in a similar pink?
    Is it too black?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭sffc

Heya, could anyone give me an opinion on if this dress is suitable for a Christening? I've actually never been to one so don't know the protocol.
    I have pink shoes similar to this photo with the black lace over it, only closed toe and a bag that matches the shoes, I was thinking probably a satin wrap over my shoulders too in a similar pink?
    Is it too black?
    Yes its too black I would have said but I'm a bloke! Christenings are daytime - the dress though lovely says evening. Very interested to see if I'm right ..also very scared :-/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Don't think it's too black, but would be a little worried that especially with a satin wrap it'd be a bit OTT? Suppose it depends on who will be there, if it's the first baby of the group/family and there won't be kids at it it might be a bit more formal. Any I've been at have had plenty of kids (usually cousins of the baby) and it'd be nice outfit territory, but maybe think more along the lines of first communion or meal at a nice restaurant than wedding.

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

Very nice. I wouldn't say it's very black more of a classic colour nice touch of class. We'd a travellers baby being christened at our little ones and it was a sight to behold. 11 year olds in bodices was a little disturbing.

Anyway I'm a bloke so no doubt I'm wrong but a nice ivory colour vintage clutch bag would finish it off. :D:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 25 almaocarroll

Thanks everyone - well, it's a first grandchild on my side, I'm the aunty, so there's no young kiddies there. I would assume it's a dressy up event. I was worried it'd be like the wedding rule where black is a no no. :) I'm poo at being a girl. :(

leeomurchu wrote: »
    Very nice. I wouldn't say it's very black more of a classic colour nice touch of class. We'd a travellers baby being christened at our little ones and it was a sight to behold. 11 year olds in bodices was a little disturbing.

Anyway I'm a bloke so no doubt I'm wrong but a nice ivory colour vintage clutch bag would finish it off. :D:eek:

lol - Oh dear ghod, I've seen some traveller children dressed like that at a communion, there's something very wrong about it. I hear there's gonna be a tv show like the gypsey wedding one but about the christenings.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

Thanks everyone - well, it's a first grandchild on my side, I'm the aunty, so there's no young kiddies there. I would assume it's a dressy up event. I was worried it'd be like the wedding rule where black is a no no. :) I'm poo at being a girl. :(

A bit harsh on yourself there I think it's a very classy outfit. Enjoy your day out :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Probably will be a bit more formal so, but if in doubt ask your sister/brother/sibling-in-law how formal they're planning the day to be?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭The Big Red Button

I think the dress is perfect for a Christening - very classy, and definitely not too black! :)

And the shoes are gorgeous!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I'd say the dress is fine, it's serene enough with its pink insets. I wouldn't choose shoes with lace though if there is already different lace on the dress, they may clash.
    Best bet is to run it through someone from your family, some christenings are more formal and some more casual!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

I feel you're over thinking this girl, the outfit is beautiful and classy, go for it.
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

yes, nice!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭Toast4532

Beautiful outfit, very classy, though, I wouldn't wear lace shoes, I would wear plain black or nude shoes. Preferably nude, they make legs look longer, but if you are very tall, you might not want that.

Also, I would use a satin wrap, I'd wear a nice black blazer (doesn't have to be a formal/office type blazer either) or even a black cardigan. I think a wrap would be a little over the top. A bolero would be nice too.

As for jewellery - keep it simple, the dress is stunning, so you want that to do all the talking, in my opinion.

Toast4532 wrote: »
    Beautiful outfit, very classy, though, I wouldn't wear lace shoes, I would wear plain black or nude shoes. Preferably nude, they make legs look longer, but if you are very tall, you might not want that.

Also, I would use a satin wrap, I'd wear a nice black blazer (doesn't have to be a formal/office type blazer either) or even a black cardigan. I think a wrap would be a little over the top. A bolero would be nice too.

As for jewellery - keep it simple, the dress is stunning, so you want that to do all the talking, in my opinion.

Might see if I can get nude shoes if my legs look short in the others, as I'm barely hitting the 5ft3 mark haha.

Thanks everyone for the advice and lovely comments will take all of it into account :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭tan11ie

IMO no it's not to the same rules.

I think the dress is quite classy and very pretty, I'd go with plain nude shoes- 4" heel...but that's just me, I'd walk in stilts :D

tan11ie wrote: »
    IMO no it's not to the same rules.

I think the dress is quite classy and very pretty, I'd go with plain nude shoes- 4" heel...but that's just me, I'd walk in stilts :D

I'd be killed - I can barely walk in trainers haha

Advertisement