Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 50/100/150mb broadband

• 17-09-2012 7:27pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭

UPC have now increased their broadband speeds to 50/100/150mb

http://www.upc.ie/broadband/

- 50mb down / 5mb up €39
    - 100mb down / 10mb up €49
    - 150mb down / 10mb up €59

You can also bundle these with their phone service, free with the 100mb and makes the 150mb €6 cheaper!!

http://www.upc.ie/deals/broadbandandphone/

- 50mb down / 5mb up + phone €44
    - 100mb down / 10mb up + phone €49
    - 150mb down / 10mb up + phone €54

Interestingly I notice that the 50 and 100mb products say they have "Unlimited download allowance", while the 150mb product has a 500GB cap. I assume one of these is just a typo, hopefully the latter.

P.S. This is already been discussed over on the Eircom fibre thread, but I thought it deserved it's own thread, such big news.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

hrm, wonder how this applies to existing customers

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Slydice wrote: »
    hrm, wonder how this applies to existing customers

It seems that existing customers need to call UPC and upgrade to the new packages which are €3 more per month then the existing packages.

If your modem is an old DOCSIS 2 modem then there may also be a €45 install charge for the new DOCSIS 3 modem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭kaisersose77

rang them and all packages still have the 500gb cap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 372 ✭✭Belfunk

bk wrote: »
    It seems that existing customers need to call UPC and upgrade to the new packages which are €3 more per month then the existing packages.

If your modem is an old DOCSIS 2 modem then there may also be a €45 install charge for the new DOCSIS 3 modem.

I've a Thompson and its being swapped out for free, paying €49 a month with phone on 100mb line with 500gig cap.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

rang them and all packages still have the 500gb cap

That is a pity, they should really be uploading caps, along with upgrades to speed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,480 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Could someone please translate the statement above - I have a Cisco EPC2425, is that a DOCSIS 2 or 3 modem? I'm on 25Mb and I understand that up to now I'd need a new model for 50/100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

You'd be right. The 2425 is only used for speeds up to 30mb

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,396 ✭✭✭✭kaimera

Called and upgrade from the 100 to the 150mb.

costs 54e a month (incl. phone)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

kaimera wrote: »
    Called and upgrade from the 100 to the 150mb.

costs 54e a month (incl. phone)

Are you noticing much difference? (I got upgraded from 100 to 120 a while back)

coylemj wrote: »
    Could someone please translate the statement above - I have a Cisco EPC2425, is that a DOCSIS 2 or 3 modem? I'm on 25Mb and I understand that up to now I'd need a new model for 50/100.

The Cisco EPC2425 is DOCSIS 2.0 only, meaning it can only go up to 30mb/s and you will need to get a new modem.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 246 ✭✭mrbrown69

Was on the 50meg and home phone...the free upgrades they did a while back now sees me on around 65mb......pay 47pm, not sure if I'm fussed on getting the 100 for another 2 euro but if it was done automatically I wouldn't quibble over paying the bit extra

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Having become sensibly honest for the past while why have to gone back to these "unlimited" lies? :mad::mad:
    The unlimited download allowance is subject to a data transfer allowance of 500GB and UPC’s Acceptable Usage Policy

"Unlimited" =
    not limited or restricted in terms of number, quantity, or extent:
    from http://oxforddictionaries.com/

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

mrbrown69 wrote: »
    Was on the 50meg and home phone...the free upgrades they did a while back now sees me on around 65mb......pay 47pm, not sure if I'm fussed on getting the 100 for another 2 euro but if it was done automatically I wouldn't quibble over paying the bit extra

You could probably drop down to the new 50Mb package and save yourself another few quid if that is the case.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

UPC have now increased their broadband speeds to 50/100/150mb

http://www.upc.ie/broadband/

- 50mb down / 5mb up €40
    - 100mb down / 10mb up €50
    - 150mb down / 10mb up €60

Interestingly I notice that the 50 and 100mb products say they have "Unlimited download allowance", while the 150mb product has a 500GB cap. I assume one of these is just a typo, hopefully the latter.

P.S. This is already been discussed over on the Eircom fibre thread, but I thought it deserved it's own thread, such big news.

Once again I have to point out to you that no customer can get these products at the prices you (and UPC) quote.

dub45 wrote: »
    Once again I have to point out to you that no customer can get these products at the prices you (and UPC) quote.

You are right, the 150/10mb product is even cheaper (€54) if you get it with the phone service!! :P

http://www.upc.ie/deals/broadbandandphone/

- 50mb down / 5mb up + phone €44
    - 100mb down / 10mb up + phone €49
    - 150mb down / 10mb up + phone €54

So the 50mb is €5 more, the 100mb is the same, 150mb €6 cheaper then I had quoted. On average I over quoted them!!

So even better and totally blows Eircom away, whatever way you look at it. Eircom gives you 8mb with a 10GB cap for €45 per month :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I've just haggled some discounts off my triple play package with UPC about a week ago to sign a new 12 month contract. I'm using the Cisco EPC 2425 so will need a new modem to upgrade to 50mb. Will I likely have to shell out for the self install fee for the modem? How much were people charged to upgrade from 30mb to 50mb?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭roast

There's a bunch of threads on this now. Mods, could they all be consolidated into one thread in the Talk To:UPC forum? Makes more sense.

Either way, I'll be signing up for the 150Mb. In dire need of a greater upload speed.

roast wrote: »
    There's a bunch of threads on this now. Mods, could they all be consolidated into one thread in the Talk To:UPC forum? Makes more sense.

While consolidating threads is a good idea, I'm not sure it should be moved to the UPC Talk forum.

This is the Broadband forum after all and this is BB major news and this forum gets far more traffic.

The UPC Talk forum is more for people who want to get official support from UPC. This forum is more for people who want to discuss the various broadband products and their impact on the market.

While consolidating threads is a good idea, I'm not sure it should be moved to the UPC Talk forum.

This is the Broadband forum after all and this is BB major news and this forum gets far more traffic.

The UPC Talk forum is more for people who want to get official support from UPC. This forum is more for people who want to discuss the various broadband products and their impact on the market.

True enough BK!
    There's also a couple discussion threads in the TT:U forum also, it's all getting a bit too much. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Hmm I am at the 120mb package, although it usually tips at 130mb.

How do I go to 150?

If it costs more, I'm happy where I am tbh :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

roast wrote: »

Either way, I'll be signing up for the 150Mb. In dire need of a greater upload speed.
    If you're already on the 100Mb plan, the 150Mb plan doesn't seem to increase the upload speed at all. Perhaps they'll bring it up to 15Mb down the line but their website says it's 10Mb at the moment, just like the 100Mb plan.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,937 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

I usually dont crosspost over threads, but heres what happened when I rang Customer Loyalty today.
    Rang up customer loyalty. I'd been on the 30mb entry levelpackage and had upgraded to the 50mb medium package. Was wondering if I was going to go from 50 - 100 given that 100 now seems to be the new medium package according to this thread.

Not the case. 30mb is the minimum, 50mb is the medium, 100mb is the max and 150mb is a new 'supermax' package according to the man I spoke to. He doesn't think there will be any new speed upgrades in the medium term either.

So no free increase for me today :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

I usually dont crosspost over threads, but heres what happened when I rang Customer Loyalty today.

In your case, I'd post here....the Talk to UPC thread http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1546

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭dorkacle

For people asking about needing new modems, they just upgraded my connection (to 50mb) and sent me out a new modem free.

Couldn't tell the difference in speed to be honest! :confused:

They also said the delivery guy will be collecting the old one, I had it ready and all but when he arrived he said he hadn't been told to take it.

So have the old Cisco one sitting there spare now! :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,669 ✭✭✭who_me

So, what about the previous 50->60Mbps and 100->120Mbps free upgrades?

Do existing users stay on those speeds even though they aren't available to new users? Or are existing users bumped back down to 50/100?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

who_me wrote: »
    So, what about the previous 50->60Mbps and 100->120Mbps free upgrades?

Do existing users stay on those speeds even though they aren't available to new users? Or are existing users bumped back down to 50/100?
    I'm on 60Mb still here. I'd say unless we call them up and agree to pay that extra few bucks, along with signing a new 12-month contract, we'll remain on the same speeds. If you've been bumped in the last few months, it's not likely to change unless you're able to upgrade to a higher package and call them to do so.

Interesting, a few days ago, the 150mb product said it had a 500GB cap.

It has now been changed to:
    "Unlimited Download Allowance"

So I'm guessing they have gotten rid of the download cap, that is great news :)

DECEiFER wrote: »
    If you're already on the 100Mb plan, the 150Mb plan doesn't seem to increase the upload speed at all. Perhaps they'll bring it up to 15Mb down the line but their website says it's 10Mb at the moment, just like the 100Mb plan.

Signed up for the 100Mb package, but it was upgraded to 120/7 a couple months ago. I could change to the current 100/10 package, but I may as well go for the 150/10 for the extra few quid. :)
    DECEiFER wrote: »
    I'm on 60Mb still here. I'd say unless we call them up and agree to pay that extra few bucks, along with signing a new 12-month contract, we'll remain on the same speeds. If you've been bumped in the last few months, it's not likely to change unless you're able to upgrade to a higher package and call them to do so.

As it turns out, I'll be paying slightly less than what I am now, for the 150Mb and the Phone bundle.

Smashing news. :) The question should be posed to the Reps on the TT:UPC forum for clarification. Last thing we want is a "Bill Shock" :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 37 garyingalway

Upgraded from 100mb to 150mb BB for €3 *Happy* :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

I wish that were true but looking at the terms of the conditions for their 150mb product it still today states:

"All Fibre Power Broadband services are subject to our acceptable usage policy. The unlimited download allowance is subject to a data transfer allowance of 500GB and UPC’s Acceptable Usage Policies"..

I feel UPC continually mislead by using the term unlimited (while having the other acceptable usage clause 'buried' in their conditions) & I suspect until UPC confirm it that, in effect, it still is NOT truely unlimited.

They really shoudln't be permitted to use the term 'unlimited' anywhere in their promotion of BB services where they are in fact not truely unlimited.

Still hope you are right though ;)

Advertisement