Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC 50/100/150mb broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

I was told by an employee of UPC that anyone within areas receiving the fibre optic cabling will all be upgraded to the mimimum of 50mb over the next couple of weeks :)

Was also told my 2425 modem will handle this as well?

The first and the moreso the second seem to be at odds with others' experiences with UPC since the upgrade was announced.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Morf wrote: »
    The first and the moreso the second seem to be at odds with others' experiences with UPC since the upgrade was announced.

I agree, but was told this my an engineer working for UPC, sounded strange to me as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭bloodyhawk

545275_482097085141703_952803270_n.jpg Not too Shabby :D

is this wireless?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

dub45 it is clear to me that you always criticise UPC, but never praise them.

UPC roll out 150mb BB, by far the fastest in Ireland and you don't say anything positive about this development but instead criticise the pricing and caps.

When I then point out that the correct prices for some products are even cheaper, then you say nothing. Complete silence from you.

It is clear to me that you have some history with UPC. Perhaps you were an employee in the past and was let go or perhaps worked for a competitor of them.

All companies make mistakes. It is better to congratulate them when they do the right thing and criticise constructively when they do wrong, but with you it is always just criticism, criticism, criticism and never constructive.

Of course you are quiet welcome to say whatever you like on this board, it is a public forum after all. But I'm just pointing out your history to other posters who might not know.

I the end UPC is by far the best ISP in Ireland and the best thing to ever happen to the Irish broadband market.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,450 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

bk wrote: »
    dub45 it is clear to me that you always criticise UPC, but never praise them.

Is there some requirment to praise a company every so often or something like that to keep you happy? Why should anyone praise a company that is undeniably misleading its customers and prospective customers? This practise of misleading customers has potential financial implications for customers and certainly in the past has had financial implications - this as you well know is documented on boards.ie. UPC has a record of flouting its own terms and conditions in respect of notification to customers in terms of price increases. They have also flouted Comreg's requirements in respect of notifications to customers in respect of price increases. Again this is well documented here.
    UPC roll out 150mb BB, by far the fastest in Ireland and you don't say anything positive about this development but instead criticise the pricing and caps.

I have acknowledged several times that UPC have excellent products and pointed out that its all the more reason to regret that they do not sell them properly. Do you want me to lead a chorus of "For they are jolly good fellows" publicly or something like that?

For the record I have not criticised UPC's caps nor their pricing. I have commented on their pricing strategy in leaving a big gap "underneath" their base product.
    When I then point out that the correct prices for some products are even cheaper, then you say nothing. Complete silence from you.

The fact is that UPC have prices on their website which are unavailable to customers. They mysteriously state the prices of products on one page when the product is available elsewhere on the websiste cheaper. I don't consider that good practise on the part of any company do you?
    It is clear to me that you have some history with UPC. Perhaps you were an employee in the past and was let go or perhaps worked for a competitor of them..

I dont know where your apparent clarity comes from? I would much prefer if you desisted from speculating on my "mythical past" about which you haven't got a clue. My criticisms of UPC are factually based.

They are deliberately misleading customers and no company who does that deserves praise as far as I am concerned.
    All companies make mistakes. It is better to congratulate them when they do the right thing and criticise constructively when they do wrong, but with you it is always just criticism, criticism, criticism and never constructive.

Deliberately misleading customers, breaking your own Terms and Conditions and flouting Comreg requirements (and an EU regulation in the process) are not mistakes but deliberate actions. All of these actions on the part of UPC are well documented on boards.
    Of course you are quiet welcome to say whatever you like on this board, it is a public forum after all. But I'm just pointing out your history to other posters who might not know.

I the end UPC is by far the best ISP in Ireland and the best thing to ever happen to the Irish broadband market.

It is very gracious of you to recognise that I am entitled to comment on boards although the tone of your posts would appear to contradict that.

I have no problem with you pointing out my history to other posters - I have consistently criticised companies who are not honest with their customers - there is no excuse for it whatsoever.

You have an extraordinary perspective on things if you consider that a company who deliberately misleads customers and potential customers and has in the past chosen to ignore its own terms and conditions and Comreg requirements is the best thing that ever happened to the broadband market.

Is it really too much to expect a multinational company to describe its products properly and to comply with its own Terms and Conditions and the requirements of the national regulator?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 154 ✭✭Yrag2E

Just upgraded this morning. Pretty amazing results.

2199141277.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

dub45 wrote: »

The fact is that UPC have prices on their website which are unavailable to customers. They mysteriously state the prices of products on one page when the product is available elsewhere on the websiste cheaper. I don't consider that good practise on the part of any company do you?

Curious about this one, can you give an example?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

colm_mcm wrote: »

I think she means the price of the broadband. You can't actually get the broadband for that price. You either take out a bundle which is a different price or you pay extra because you don't have the TV package.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

I was upped to 70MB about a month ago, are they increasing my speed again for €3?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭bealtine

colm_mcm wrote: »

UPC have a special tariff for people that are "heavy users" with a large price and it is completely unadvertised...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,472 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I think she means the price of the broadband. You can't actually get the broadband for that price. You either take out a bundle which is a different price or you pay extra because you don't have the TV package.

Well, the site says if you get standalone bb, you pay standalone charge. Right under the price for the product :confused:
    If you get a phone and bb bundle, you don't pay that charge

I'm sure dub45 means something different surely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

Must run a speedtest later

Have been getting 130mb pretty consistently since the last little bump , wonder if it went up to the 150mb or still hanging around 130mb

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

bealtine wrote: »
    UPC have a special tariff for people that are "heavy users" with a large price and it is completely unadvertised...

Just out of interest what is this package?

TCP/IP wrote: »
    Just out of interest what is this package?

It's not a package, it's a penalty.
    If you go over 500GB after the first warning, they extend your usage to 1TB, reduce your speed by more than half (100mb to 30mb), and charge you a lot more for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,356 ✭✭✭NeVeR

Guys how do you order this ?

I've already got a TV / Phone / BB bundle .. but my modem will need an upgrade.

UPC say i can order it on there site.. But is it just like ordering a new service ?

Can anyone point me to the link i need to order the new modem etc.

It's not a package, it's a penalty.
    If you go over 500GB after the first warning, they extend your usage to 1TB, reduce your speed by more than half (100mb to 30mb), and charge you a lot more for that.

I got a warning a few months ago.

Got this new downloading setup where I went to 1.2TB in the month.

Got a very professionally drafted mail where they were nice enough not to implicate me in anything illegal. They said that people in the area had rang to complain about dipping speeds and quality in their line, and investigation outlined that I was hogging bandwidth in the estate.

They request kindly that I reduce my downloading to avoid them having to look into restrictions on my service.

It was a real " look we dont mind, but the lads are kicking up" vibe :D

Anyway my line was affected, I got the various free upgrades and I've definitly gone over the cap a few times and nothing really has been said.

Also, 500GB is actually plenty, what the **** are people doing to exceed this limit. The arguements over the 500GB limit is a needless arguement. The only people who exceed this are absolute Captain Jack Sparrows of the downloading world, and mentioning anything else is blowing it out of your arse.

I know what I'm downloading, I know what I'm doing, and I'm not going to kick up a stink. They have fought my corner as a customer with the music/movie industry, they offer the best package in the country and I'll always give them backing as they continue to upgrade their infrastructure. Nobody wants a dominat Eircom again.

I was one of the first "always on internet" customers in Dublin, and I was one of Eircoms first ADSL customers, horrendous speeds, poor support, stupid caps.

And their services have stuttered along outdated, over priced and poorly networked ever since.

And before the "court rulings" and the "three strikes" Eircom used to hand out customer details on a whim to anyone who piped up about legal action. There are countless reports, and I've also had first hand experience with local residents and relatives, who got court summons after Eircom handed over all their details and logs to legal teams operating on the behalf of various companies looking to clamp down on downloading.

TheDoc wrote: »
    Also, 500GB is actually plenty, what the **** are people doing to exceed this limit. The arguements over the 500GB limit is a needless arguement. The only people who exceed this are absolute Captain Jack Sparrows of the downloading world, and mentioning anything else is blowing it out of your arse.

Wrong thread for that drivel.
    It was a real " look we dont mind, but the lads are kicking up" vibe :D

No one complained, they have used slight variations of the same letter for years for users who go over the alotted allowance.

NeVeR wrote: »
    Guys how do you order this ?

I've already got a TV / Phone / BB bundle .. but my modem will need an upgrade.

UPC say i can order it on there site.. But is it just like ordering a new service ?

Can anyone point me to the link i need to order the new modem etc.

can anyone answer this for me :)

NeVeR wrote: »
    can anyone answer this for me :)

Yip, you just place the order as though you were a new customer. Once you are logged in on the site it will populate most of the fields for you. An agent advised me as long as you have a docsis 3 router from them already you wont be charged the 45 once off fee.

Yip, you just place the order as though you were a new customer. Once you are logged in on the site it will populate most of the fields for you. An agent advised me as long as you have a docsis 3 router from them already you wont be charged the 45 once off fee.

thanks i'll give it a go.. I've no idea what modem i've got now. I'm with them about 2 years. Also i'm not at home to check.

1 more question.. What do i actually order ? Do i order the whole package i'm on now as in TV and Phone with BB bundle ?

Or just BB ?

thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

I got a warning a few months ago.

Got this new downloading setup where I went to 1.2TB in the month.

Also, 500GB is actually plenty, what the **** are people doing to exceed this limit.

Did you just say you downloaded 1.2TB and then ask the question what are people doing to exceed 500GB,or is it just me?

Kev. wrote: »
    Did you just say you downloaded 1.2TB and then ask the question what are people doing to exceed 500GB,or is it just me?

That was one month, and the first month we got the 100mb in, so we went a bid mad :)

I'm wondering what people are doing it month after month after month..

I've never complained about the cap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

guys i have the 100 mb bb with freetime world package and i m being charged 52 euro a month

the website says that the same package is 49 euro a month

can i just ring and ask to pay 49 instead of 52?

or did they do this deliberately so that people who change are tied down for other 12 months?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,822 ✭✭✭Morf

j4vier wrote: »
    guys i have the 100 mb bb with freetime world package and i m being charged 52 euro a month

the website says that the same package is 49 euro a month

can i just ring and ask to pay 49 instead of 52?

or did they do this deliberately so that people who change are tied down for other 12 months?

You will be tied down to a new 12month contract if you change to the lower price.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

How many time has boards had this argument over bandwidth?

Fact of the matter is 500GB is not nearly enough for a 150Mb connection for some people. Myself included.

Lets do a little calculation. 150Mb = 18.75MB (150/8)

That is 18.75MB per second maximum possible.

We can assume that UPC are using the 1000MB = 1GB as most ISP's do. (Coming from datacenter experience.

So 500GB is 500000MB. Lets divide that by our download speed which was 18.75MB per second. 500000/18.75 = 26667 rounded up.

That is 26667 second before you use up your download allowance. or 444 minutes rounded down or just 7.4 hours!

That means you have 7.4 hours of downloading at your maximum speed per month. I don't know about many of the people in here but I myself find this very binding.

I could easily download that much in one sitting (nothing illegal, I work from home with large data packets)

They really should upgrade the transfer allowance.

Why do they even offer 100mb+ lines if you can't take advantage of it ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 618 ✭✭✭bonoman66

+1

Just look at how much data can be used alone by the 'newer' services such as - high quality streaming TV services (such as iBox, Netflix etc etc). I'm not highlighting those particular services in any negative way - I think they are fantastic to have & I love having them, but they'll eat into your monthly allowance quite easily ;-) (..especially if you like your TV shows).

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭gab999

Hey guys,

I wanted to ask people who have 50mb, 100mb and 150mb to do some ping tests via command prompt to the following IP's please. 82.149.235.135, 87.98.142.49, 81.19.210.28 and 91.121.223.150. I would really appreciate it if you posted the results of the ping tests and specified which package you had 50mb, 100mb or 150mb. Also if you know any good ISP for gaming which provides low ping times/latency and good line quality will be much appreciated.

I also had a question about a problem my friend is having with his ISP. He has Irish Broadband Breeze 4 mb. And he gets disconnected randomly sometimes few times a day sometimes very frequently and the disconnections happen at different intervals. But when he reboots the PC it starts working again. Now the weird problem is when it does stop working if he unplugs and plugs the ethernet cable into his laptop it works. The weirdest thing is he has another ISP eircom on which there are no problems or disconnections. So if you have any idea of a solution or need anymore information feel free to ask.

Thanks in advance!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

No sign of this yet in Chapelizod, anyone else received it yet?

Liberty Global Launches Horizon TV
    TV and the Internet come together
    Englewood, Colorado – September 7, 2012:
    Liberty Global, Inc. (“Liberty Global”) (NASDAQ: LBTYA, LBTYB and LBTYK) today announces the launch of Horizon TV, a new family of media products that allow customers to view and share all of their favorite content across the TV, computer, tablet and smartphone.

The Horizon TV gateway also serves as a full triple-play box delivering not only video, but also the fastest internet and voice connections along with a wireless network for the home.

Horizon TV is now available from our Dutch cable operation, UPC Netherlands, and will be rolled out in Switzerland, Germany and Ireland over the next 3-6 months.

Mike Fries, Liberty Global’s President and CEO said: “This is what our customers have been waiting for. Finally, you can enjoy the best cable TV programming on all of your devices whenever and wherever you choose. Horizon TV brings the power of the internet and the most popular apps to your TV screen and allows you to ‘connect, discover and be free.’”

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Mountjoy Mugger

Off topic for this forum. Being discussed in Cable & MMDS & IPTV

Advertisement