Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking in a gas oven

Options
  • 17-09-2012 7:38pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've just moved into a new flat and it has a gas cooker and oven. I've never used a gas oven before, so does anyone have any tips on how to get the best results from it? I bake a lot too, so is there a way to spread the heat more evenly throughout the oven?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭sdp

Hi, I have a old gas oven as a back up,used it up to 4 years ago, if yours is a new one you won't have the problems I used to have, ie gas heat holds a lot of moisture so really hard to get a hard crust on bread, so what I used to to do was use a layer of ordinary unglazed clay tiles on the bottom rack of the oven, leaving a space around for air circulation,preheat the oven long enough to heat the tiles ,During baking, the gas will heat the clay, which will release heat evenly into the oven, maintaining a more even heat. The tiles will create a buffer between the burner and the baking food items, preventing burned bottoms and lopsided baking.or a pizza baking stone would do just the job, some of the new ones have fan air circulation and I think if you using it you bake at a lower temperature. I'm sure someone here has more up to date information then me, let us know how you do,:)

• Registered Users Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

I have a pizza stone in my oven and it does help distribute the heat more evenly. (And as a nice bonus it helps me make the best pizzas!) I sometimes still find myself having to rotate things halfway through, but the stone is a definite improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,230 ✭✭✭Merkin

I have an electric myself but have cooked quite a bit with gas as that's what my dear Gran had. In my experience I do think that gas is that little bit hotter so while you're getting used to it be that little more cautious Faith as the equivelant temps in electric and gas mark ..... don't always correlate. I do think it's actually nicer to cook with though so once you get used to it you will love it! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Also in a gas oven, the top shelf is generally hotter.

Advertisement