Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Simple chocolate stout recipe

Options
  • 17-09-2012 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

Does anyone have a simple all grain chocolate stout recipe? Looking to do up a batch for a mates wedding next summer - planning well ahead :cool:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

This is a regular stout recipe I do. You can add about 250g of unsweetened, low-fat cocoa powder at the end of the boil. You could change the roasted barley in recipe below to a combination of 500g choc malt and 200g roasted barley.

Category: Stout
    Subcategory: Dry Stout
    Recipe Type: All Grain
    Batch Size: 23 L
    Volume Boiled: 23.01 L
    Mash Efficiency: 75 %
    Total Grain/Extract: 4.77 kg
    Total Hops: 47.0 g
    Calories (12 fl. oz.): 144.6
    Cost to Brew: $36.04 (USD)
    Cost per Bottle (12 fl. oz.): $0.56 (USD)

Ingredients
    3.2 kg English 2-row Pale
    0.57 kg Black Roasted Barley
    1 kg Barley Flaked
    17 g Galena (Whole, 13.00 %AA) boiled 60 minutes.
    15 g East Kent Goldings (Whole, 5.00 %AA) boiled 30 minutes.
    15 g East Kent Goldings (Whole, 5.00 %AA) boiled 5 minutes.
    Yeast: Fermentis US-05 Safale US-05

Original Gravity: 1.044
    Terminal Gravity: 1.009
    Color: 28.85 SRM
    Bitterness: 36.9 IBU
    Alcohol (%volume): 4.6 %

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I'd add ( or substitute) between 250-400g oatmeal to the stout for smoothness

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭scrapsmac

I'd add ( or substitute) between 250-400g oatmeal to the stout for smoothness

What would you substitute the oats for carawaystick? Do you use any particular brand of oatmeal?

Thanks for all the replies btw folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I'd add the oats instead of the flaked barley

I use flahavans progress oatlets, as that's what we use for porridge
    You want rolled oats, not cut or pinhead anyway, the rolling gelatinises the oats so the mash gets some fermentables

I would probably not put hops in at 5 mins, a stout should have bitterness, not aroma from the hops, maybe throw them in at 20 mins
    Also if you're keeping the beer til the summer, aroma will fade away anyhow

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭scrapsmac

How does this look:

19 Litre Batch

3kg (63.8%) Maris Otter
    1kg (21.3%) Flaked Oats
    0.5kg (10.6%) Chocolate Malt
    0.2kg (4.3%) Roasted Barley

US-05

40g EKG - 20g at 40mins, 20g at 20mins

Would this benefit from some Cocoa Powder added during the boil, perhaps 10mins from the end?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

My next brew is going to be a stout and I haven't seen US-05 recommended for stouts that often. I'm going with the Danstar Windsor yeast.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

fobster wrote: »
    My next brew is going to be a stout and I haven't seen US-05 recommended for stouts that often. I'm going with the Danstar Windsor yeast.

Windsor yeast gives moderate attenuation, so its hard to get the final gravity low like you want with a dry stout. US-05 has high attenuation and is fairly neutral so not too bad for a dry stout I would also consider using Nottingham yeast as it has high attenuation like us-05.

Advertisement