Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone know alot about PC's and PTC Creo?

Options
  • 17-09-2012 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭

Hey,

As the title says, looking for someone for some set-up help, who knows alot about setting up Creo and PC's(custom built workstation).

PM me.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭Daniel S

DJW11 wrote: »
    Hey,

As the title says, looking for someone for some set-up help, who knows alot about setting up Creo and PC's(custom built workstation).

PM me.

Cheers.

Creo Parametric 1.0 should have been sent to your email (a download link).

I don't understand what you mean by custom built workstation? Did you buy the parts to build a pc and need a hand putting it together or?

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭DJW11

A workstation is high end pc built for specific software, in my case my workstation is built for CAD applications. I have creo 1.0 already, but having trouble configuring it to my graphics card.

DJW11 wrote: »
    A workstation is high end pc built for specific software, in my case my workstation is built for CAD applications. I have creo 1.0 already, but having trouble configuring it to my graphics card.

Ah I know what a workstation is, just wasn't 100% on what you were asking. The only thing I can think of doing is finding your card (FireGL/Pro or Quadro if it's a workstation) and just doing a lot of Googling. What exactly is the problem though? Is it just slow and laggy? I was in the AMO lab on Saturday and as soon as I turned up the graphics slightly, it lagged like crazy.

Initially cursor movement within the drawing window would leave a trail and a hugh mess, and take a few seconds to go. Also very slow, and right mouse button wont always work.
    Did lots of googling and went into the config setting and enabled use of the opengl on the graphics card.
    Now no trails or mess, but very slow. but when selection is made after a few seconds lagging it rotates no problem, really quick. But then speed is lost again once i try to select anything else.
    I downloaded a benchmark and it claimed 8GB of ram minimum for a 64-bit system, Ive only 6GB 3x2 DDR3, so may go to pcworld tomorrow and up it a bit.
    Got a graphics patch off Philip Griffen with a config but it didnt change anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

there is no minimum RAM for x64. its recommended if you have 4gb+ though, cause 32bit can't address that much. do not buy RAM from PC world under any circumstances.

have you downloaded the latest GPU drivers from the vendor website? what GPU is it?

go to device manager and check if you have any unknown/unidentified devices. it means you're missing drivers for something. could explain the problem.

• Advertisement

Hey teabag. Cheers for the heads up on pcworld, whats the story there?.
    The GPU is an ATI FirePro V8800 FireGL, so it should be running it no problem at all. Iv opened complete gearbox/cylinder head assemblies on much slower workstations chewing up only 1.5GB of RAM hence why im confused as to why Im having any issues. Iv updated the specific GPU Driver for creo 1.0, doing a GPU driver update now so il let you know how that goes. In general would software take advantage of everything your GPU can do or would you have to sometimes enable certain things for it within the GPU software?

Finally got it all working,
    but im none the wiser as to what actually wasnt right.
    I uninstalled creo completely, uninstalled new GPU drivers and suite and reverted back to old ones (2010).
    Did a system defrag and c drive, rebooted and reinstalled new GPU driver and suite again. Reintalled creo, and set config to graphics - opengl (not the 32 one), aslo enabled opengl, and it works:), from what i can see anyway.iv no idea what was wrong.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

You probably had hardware acceleration disabled in the CAD package.
    Gawd, PTC make some muck software.

5uspect wrote: »
    You probably had hardware acceleration disabled in the CAD package.
    Gawd, PTC make some muck software.
    It really is awful isn't it. Pity we can't just use SolidWorks/CATIA.

Advertisement