Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mahogany strips

Options
  • 17-09-2012 8:24pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know where I can get some 1/4" or 6mm by 3" or 4" mahogany. The last time I got them for the side of the boat I had to buy rough planks and have cut and sanded it was not cheep:eek: and there was a lot of waste in sawdust.

DSC00622.jpg

I saw in woodies they have 2" strips by Richard Burbidge but I would like it a bit bigger maybe even panelling that I could cut the edges off any ideas welcome as you know money is tight these days :( and I cant afford to waste it on sawdust :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭One shot on kill

If you let me know how much timber you want and what sort of lengths I might be able to do something for you, obviously Im not going to try create Sawdust as its less use to me

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Thanks for the offer, The boat is 16 foot long and 6 foot wide narrowing down at the bow so if the planks are 4" wide I would need 18 of them or 3" 24 the longer the planks the better but if I have to I will butt joint them.
    If you could give me a price that would be great, Thanks.

2012-07-25212719.jpg

Ok do they need to be Tungue and grooved on lapped or what way do you need them machined or is a square 16ft length all you need.

Also what thickness do they have to be

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,328 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Just straight cut 6mm or 1/4" thick smooth would be great. Thanks

Great leave it with me

• Advertisement

Any luck getting a price for me.
    Thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

fergal.b wrote: »
    Just straight cut 6mm or 1/4" thick smooth would be great. Thanks

Abbeywoods in Baldoyle.:)

http://www.abbeywoods.ie/

paddy147 wrote: »
    Abbeywoods in Baldoyle.:)

http://www.abbeywoods.ie/

I couldn't see any mahogany on the site but I sent them a email to see what they can come up with. Cheers

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

fergal.b wrote: »
    I couldn't see any mahogany on the site but I sent them a email to see what they can come up with. Cheers

Id just pick up a phone and call them instead.

Sometimes these places can be too busy to look through emails straight away.

You will get your answer there and then,if you call them.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

Abby woods have mahogany at the moment. give me a call if you want some ran fergal.
    Would most of you resaw 2" on the edge to pull down to 10mm. i tried this recently and ended up with a lot of severly cupped boards. (with utile)

• Advertisement

Thanks for that, I think I have it sorted from a guy in Wicklow just waiting on word back on a price, if it turns out that it means santa can't come this year I might get back to you :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,815 ✭✭✭✭galwayrush

1chippy wrote: »
    Abby woods have mahogany at the moment. give me a call if you want some ran fergal.
    Would most of you resaw 2" on the edge to pull down to 10mm. i tried this recently and ended up with a lot of severly cupped boards. (with utile)

Yeah, the cupping will be a problem,the longer stored, the worse it will be. best would be to buy some 1" and get it cutdown the middle, planed and finished with a drum sander. Any Joinery should be able to do this for you at a reasonable price. Best getting it done as close to using it as possible.

Advertisement