Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is death better in some circumstances?

• 17-09-2012 8:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭

In light of recent events in the news, do you think it's a parent's choice to end their child's life if that child is in constant pain and will be so for the rest of their life. And will also require 24/7 care for the rest of their life. Obviously the law disagrees but just looking for the general opinion.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

There can be no real black and white answer to that question.
    It all depends on the individual case.
    I really feel for anybody who has a sick child and especially if that thought crosses their mind.
    I know that if it was me, I could probably never decide to end their suffering. But you can never tell what it's like until you're in that situation yourself. I wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Halloran springs

Agreed, also the religious influence on our state legislation would prevent any logical answer to the question ever becoming a reality

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

I honestly think if someone has no quality of life or is facing a terminal illness then yes, they should have a choice.
    How a parent can make that decision though is beyond me. You obviously love your child & want the best for them. But if assisting them in death is the only option available in lieu of letting them just exist then I don't know how someone could make that decision.
    Don't judge until you are in that position would be my advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭3ndahalfof6

While someone might need 24/7 care, if they are in serious pain for those hours for all of their life till they die, yes I think if you can end it,if nothing else to stop their horror, if they are in need of 24/7 care and not in serious pain and they can understand what is going on around them, just love them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭notnumber

No I dont think Parents should have that right.Only an individual in sound mind should be allowed to make that decision and only after counselling and convincing a judge that its the right thing to do based on circumstances,but a child is incapable of making such decisions so NO!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

In light of recent events in the news, do you think it's a parent's choice to end their child's life if that child is in constant pain and will be so for the rest of their life. And will also require 24/7 care for the rest of their life. Obviously the law disagrees but just looking for the general opinion.

If you apply that willy nilly then it'd be very difficult to know when to say that it isn't the right thing to do. Who decides when dying is the better option? It's a fairly subjective thing and for that reason alone it shouldn't be up to a parent to decide.

Christian Scientists would sooner see their kids die than receive medical treatment in many cases, and I'd be extremely reluctant to say that that is their right.

If you apply that willy nilly then it'd be very difficult to know when to say that it isn't the right thing to do. Who decides when dying is the better option? It's a fairly subjective thing and for that reason alone it shouldn't be up to a parent to decide.

Christian Scientists would sooner see their kids die than receive medical treatment in many cases, and I'd be extremely reluctant to say that that is their right.

Hi I am seven, while I love life and having great fun with my brothers and sisters, I am in a lot of pain every day, I want to stay alive for my family, but I would rather be dead if it means I do not have to suffer this pain any longer,

while I love my family, I think it is time for me to think about my self, my self would like to end this pain, why can I not do this on my own terms,

I just hope tonight someone breaks into my home and kills me, while it is not legal for them they would be doing me a service, ending the pain without my family suffering.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

Hi I am seven, while I love life and having great fun with my brothers and sisters, I am in a lot of pain every day, I want to stay alive for my family, but I would rather be dead if it means I do not have to suffer this pain any longer,

while I love my family, I think it is time for me to think about my self, my self would like to end this pain, why can I not do this on my own terms,

I just hope tonight someone breaks into my home and kills me, while it is not legal form them they would be doing me a service, ending the pain without my family suffering.

wtf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭ColeTrain

I just hope tonight someone breaks into my home and kills me, while it is not legal for them they would be doing me a service, ending the pain without my family suffering.

I'm fairly sure most families would suffer if their child was murdered.

elefant wrote: »
    wtf

What other choice does someone have? you should live with all of your pain so we the governemt can decide your faith, where or how do you think it is ok for someone to decide, I have had enough, I am not going to get any better, let me leave before the uncontrollable pain starts, PLEASE.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

What other choice does someone have? you should live with all of your pain so we the governemt can decide your faith, where or how do you think it is ok for someone to decide, I have had enough, I am not going to get any better, let me leave before the uncontrollable pain starts, PLEASE.

A seven year old who bets on horses?
    Fancies For Today
    Tis a small field so most of the horses will be close (price wise), I think LUI REI will be a big contender and is due a good result, while I will not be punting on this race the above mentioned horse is where my money would be, but I hope your right, be lucky

Pretending to be a kid to make a point is right out of fucking order.

ColeTrain wrote: »
    I'm fairly sure most families would suffer if their child was murdered.

It is an idea, from the child she/he has nothing left, you can be sure her family knows her pain but have nowhere to go, only to see their child suffer, knowing no matter what happens she is going to die,

so they should let her suffer for an unmentionable amount of time, just to keep the courts happy.

Confab wrote: »

Pretending to be a kid to make a point is right out of fucking order.

don't be a prick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Agreed, also the religious influence on our state legislation would prevent any logical answer to the question ever becoming a reality

In terms of 'Only God has to decide between life and death'?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

elefant wrote: »
    wtf

Could be wrong but I think he was highlighting the absurdity of allowing a lay-person to decide on what is best for the child, while only taking into account what they themselves feel is best for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭marble

Confab wrote: »

Pretending to be a kid to make a point is right out of f[COLOR="Black"]u[/COLOR]cking order.

don't be a prick.
    Pretending to be a child is bang out of order.does anyone seriously think a 7 year old is posting?
    Come on...

marble wrote: »
    Pretending to be a child is bang out of order.does anyone seriously think a 7 year old is posting?
    Come on...

analogy: While I said I was seven, I was just trying to show how it might seem (or be ) from a child's perspective, who have no rights regarding how they might like to die, (while I do agree die is a very strong word) how they would like to keep their dignity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,939 ✭✭✭ballsymchugh

analogy: While I said I was seven, I was just trying to show how it might seem (or be ) from a child's perspective, who have no rights regarding how they might like to die, (while I do agree die is a very strong word) how they would like to keep their dignity.

but ask a seven year old if they'd prefer to go to school or watch cartoons. or eat vegetables or sweets.
    asking them if they'd prefer to stay alive or die is mental.

Could be wrong but I think he was highlighting the absurdity of allowing a lay-person to decide on what is best for the child, while only taking into account what they themselves feel is best for it.

I guess im not good at the communication skills, thank you ULR , it was what I was trying to portray.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭risteard7

maybe an illness stays with you beyond life who knows?

people say "better off dead" but what proof is there that all your
    problems are gone once you die?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

risteard7 wrote: »

Woah that's deep man.....

.....pass that shít......

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭girl in the striped socks

risteard7 wrote: »

Are you saying that if you die from let's say cancer, that you will come back as a dog that will get cancer?
    Providing of course you believe in reincarnation. Which is what I assume you mean.

but ask a seven year old if they'd prefer to go to school or watch cartoons. or eat vegetables or sweets.
    asking them if they'd prefer to stay alive or die is mental.

not what I was talking about, I was talking about someone who is dying but might have to got through months/years of pain, but the out come is going to be the same (the medical profession would have cleared this up),

so do you think it is OK for them to stay alive while they reach a point where life for them is no longer life (and they decide now is the time) , just to keep the courts happy, or the people who look on from the outside,

while it is for sure a very very hard thing to decide, sometimes we need to forget about how it will effect us, and think about the people who are being effected.

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭Halloran springs

Are you saying that if you die from let's say cancer, that you will come back as a dog that will get cancer?
    Providing of course you believe in reincarnation. Which is what I assume you mean.

No I think he meant if you have cancer then die, the cancer won't die with you. i.e. when you enter the gates of heaven you will still have cancer for eternity. Fair point.

Advertisement