Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pony in his new home

Options
  • 17-09-2012 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭

We bought a pony recently. He was kept at a stables for the summer where he enjoyed the company of other horses. There were no other horses or ponies in his previous home. We have just moved him nearer to us and we don't have any other horse/pony. We only moved him a week ago and for the first two days he seemed agitated. He then seemed to be doing grand, however in the last two days he is very antsy. He was rearing when my daughter was on him today which is most unlike him. Do you think he would still be settling in after a week? Im worried that his behavior is because he is lonely. I will get him a companion, it just may take me a little while to organize.
    Any tips would be much appreciated as I really don't want him to be unhappy or to fall into bad habits.
    Thanks a million

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭MDFM

Check his tack, is it fitting him okay? Have you looked at his teeth, back etc? Either could be causing him discomfort/pain and resulting him acting in this fashion. What are you feeding him or have you changed his feed since moving him? Whats his routine? Is he exercised daily, could he be fresh?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Assuming all the above -teeth tack etc ok, I'd lunge him before he is ridden. He may not be getting as much work as he was and is too fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭fits

I think the most obvious issue is that he's on his own. Especially if he was fine before the move. Most horses are really unhappy on their own so I'd try and rectify the companion situation as soon as you can.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭poppy123

Thanks everyone for your advice. Only getting to see this now as our net was down. He is great now thankfully, my daughter had been taking him in straight off the grass and riding him. I think the poor thing must have had a pain in his stomach as he had no doubt been eating just before. Rectified now by taking him in 3/4 hour or so in advance. Yes we will be getting him a companion :)
    My girls have been riding for years but this is the first pony we own so its great to be able to ask questions here. I will have someone to check with later in the week but obviously didn't want to leave the pony distressed. thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭paddi22

can you borrow a goat or anything temporarily? If the horse is that stressed out, it might injury itself trying to escape field. I had one years ago that escaped trying to find other horses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭poppy123

Hi Paddi thanks for the reply. Yep am sorting out a companion for him asap. Thankfully he is great though. The issue really seems to have been that the girls were attempting to ride him without taking him off the grass for an hour or so first. He is completely back to normal not, thank god. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭marley123

A Donkey would make a great companion:)[

B][/B]
    poppy123 wrote: »
    Hi Paddi thanks for the reply. Yep am sorting out a companion for him asap. Thankfully he is great though. The issue really seems to have been that the girls were attempting to ride him without taking him off the grass for an hour or so first. He is completely back to normal not, thank god. :)

Advertisement