Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

PI and an over sensitive mod

Options
  • 17-09-2012 9:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭

Complaint about mod Ickle Magoo, she seems to like to ban me

this time for not giving tea and sympathy to a poster who has used abortion as a form of contraception twice and asks for a non judgemental reply on a public forum

Although a poster can ask they can not expect to get, thats life

I have mailed the mod and she seems to prefer the tea and sympathy approach and nobody should take responsibility for their actions view, which is not why I joined boards and as far as I can see not why boards was set up. It is a discussion forum where people have freedom of speak but unfortunately this mod seems to have forgotten this.

I have apologised but I will not retract my comment although the mod deleted it, even though I did advise the OP to seek professional help

It seems to me the mod needs to take a step back and maybe take a break as she is getting too involved and loosing the ability to look at things objectively.

I wish my ban to be reversed with immediate effect

Kind Regards

here is what she sent me

You have been banned
    Dear edellc,

You have been banned from Personal Issues for one month for a breach of the forum charter.

Every forum on Boards.ie has a charter which lists any specific rules that forum may have and it is really important that you read this as it'll help you familiarise yourself with how that forum works. You should also understand that every forum is different and that charters are how you learn the differences.

Please see the Boards.ie FAQ for more details.

If you wish to appeal this ban you can see details on how to do so here.

Ickle Magoo

Moderator Note

You clearly don't understand the meaning of "non-judgemental" and with that in mind, you are looking less and less suitable for a PI poster. Up your game or you'll lose your posting rights permanently.

Your post:
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by edellc
    Hey OP, sorry you have gone through, like above I do agree that nobody forced you to do what you did. However what is done is done and there is no going back and changing it, you can only move forward. As you now you seem to have matured and realised the enormity of the decisions that you made, I do feel that its about time that you seek professional help with this issue, as the longer you leave it go on the worse it will get for you.

Yes I am going to preach for one second as although I do

and this
    Hey there,

Posters can of-course ask for non-judgemental advice and as the other posts on the thread currently prove, plenty of posters are both able and willing to give it.

Knowingly & deliberately using an emotive thread in PI where a poster has begged for non-judgemental advice in order to lecture and moralise shows a hideous lack of tact, empathy and understanding for how the forum operates...a re-occurring theme that the moderators of the forum are running out of patience in dealing with.

If you want to dispute the ban you are free to do so in the DRP

Cheers

Quote:
    I have a serious issue with what you see as judgemental, the other poster said the same as me so are they banned too. I did advise the OP to seek professional help for the guilt she now feels.

I really dont think that anyone can ask for a non judgemental ear when it comes to this subject, if your are suggesting that the op get tea and sympathy then why post in such a public forum regardless of what they ask the general public to do. If you have one abortion then fair enough it was an accident but two is just careless.

the only thing the OP can do in this case is go to a councillor but to go on a public forum and expect to get "ah its okay sure off with you and have more unsafe sex and use abortion as your contraception" is just wrong and if boards feels that this is the correct way to behave then shame on you for making such rules.

if you have read any of my other posts recently you will see that i have toned it down and have had an open mind and viewed it from the posters perspective, so your ban on this is just a joke as i have stuck to the charter rules just NOT what the poster wanted to hear on a public forum

and

Ach, stick it up yer trakkens

Adverts | Friends
    Mod: Ladies Lounge Private, Personal Issues, Phobias, Separation and Divorce, The Ladies' Lounge

Re: You have been banned
    You read me wrong, deliberately I think.

Put simply...the moderators are running out of patience with you and your style of posting...the solution to that isn't my stopping moderating, it's stopping you posting in the forum.

Cheers

Quote:
    maybe if your running out of patience then you should consider your moderator position on boards as you seem to have shown a lack of objectiveness when viewing one post when plenty more that I have posted have shown empathy and understanding

Comments

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

edellc wrote: »
    It is a discussion forum where people have freedom of speak...
    I'm just going to pick up on this point. It is categorically untrue, and if you're hanging a dispute on it, you're on shaky ground.

This is a privately owned website. You are granted permission to post on it, subject to certain terms and conditions to which you agreed when you signed up, and subject to the individual charters of the various forums. You have no absolute right to express your opinions here.

I'll let the category moderators adjudicate the dispute, but against that backdrop.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

And following on from oscarBravo's point, there's not all that much to say here, I'm afraid.

Boards forums are not in fact Speakers' Corners where you can post whatever you like - instead, they're much more akin to a series of clubs, each of which run a local set of rules enforced by the moderation teams. When a forum has a rule like "non-judgmental posts only", breaking that rule will result in sanctions - and when posting in a forum you are bound by the rules of a forum, whether you agree with them or not.

The question then is whether you broke that rule, and this:
    edellc wrote:
    As you now you seem to have matured and realised the enormity of the decisions that you made

definitely breaks it.

So I'm afraid the situation is very simple - there's a rule regarding posts on some threads in PI, you broke the rule, you were sanctioned. It's pretty much open and shut, and Ickle Magoo is doing no more than enforcing the rules that are explicitly set out for posting in the forum.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

Bravo for all sticking together..............

So telling someone that they have now grown and realise that having an abortion is not something to be taken lightly which the poster obviously did, as once is an accident, twice is just plain s****d, is not allowed, so what its acceptable to say ah sure go see a councillor but if you get into another relationship and have unprotected sex cause you just couldnt be bothered and get pregnant again, well sure off with you to england, sure 2, 3 whats the difference...Instead of saying hold on a sec if your old enough to have sex then your old enough to deal with the consequences and if your not then get yourself on the pill and make sure to practice safe sex...thats not allowed :confused: think boards have their priorities wrong

I post as if I am speaking to a very close friend, I am honest and dont sugar coat, but I do emphatise as I understand most of the posters are young and some are dealing with what they are preceive serious issues, some are and some are not but each is important to the poster.

However anyone can ask not to be judged but just because you ask does not mean you get, that is life and using abortion as a form of contraception is not something that should be taken lightly.

And for the record I did not judge, if that was the case maybe I should have called her all sorts for firstly having sex out side of marriage, getting pregnant, killing unborn children...I could go on....BUT I didnt because I dont feel that way about abortion, It should be legal but its posters like the one in PI that make sure it will never be, as using it as a form of contraception is wrong and this is what the legislators dont want, and makes it expensive and difficult for people who actually need one for various reasons other than being a nieve young girl who doesn't take responsibility for her actions, and protect herself before these mistakes happen, after all there is enough education out there. If you can post on boards you can google contraception and what happens when you have unprotected sex

Im outta here need to seriously consider if boards is even worth it anymore, you have sunk to a new low in my opinion, not that you care

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,803 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

edellc wrote: »
    ...having an abortion is not something to be taken lightly which the poster obviously did...

[...]

And for the record I did not judge...

Hm. I think we have different views of what constitutes "judging".

The category moderator has upheld the moderator's action, and I see no reason to disagree.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement