Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thinking of buying in Laytown, Co. Meath??

Options
  • 17-09-2012 9:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 48

Hi, I'm wondering about Laytown as there seems to be good value there and my wife and I will be working in Skerries from now on. What is St. Anthony's Villas like? Are there good and bad estates? Any ones to avoid? Any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

There are a few rough estates in Laytown, tbh I live closer to Drogheda and don't really know one from the other except when I had to go down to the garda station to report my car broken into. I couldn't find the station and ended up somewhere very dodgy cos I was following a squad car.

I would imagine Bettystown to have better facilities there's a decent variety of shops, restaurants/cafes and a large tesco.

Maybe post in the Meath forum, you might get a response from the locals there.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=946

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

Hi, I'm wondering about Laytown as there seems to be good value there and my wife and I will be working in Skerries from now on. What is St. Anthony's Villas like? Are there good and bad estates? Any ones to avoid? Any advice would be appreciated.
    OMG. Tell me you're taking over the LLS???

TELL ME!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭RATM

Bettystown & Mornington and also Donnycarney would be better areas than Laytown, though I am sure that Laytown might have pockets of good estates, I just don't know their names.

Laytown has the advantage of the train line on its doorstep, you'd have to drive or cycle to it from the above areas.

An even quieter area you could consider is Gormanstown & Stamullen- there is a train station in Gormanstown and a bunch of small shops in Stamullen. Also Balbriggan is only down the road for the bigger supermarkets.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

RATM wrote: »
    Bettystown & Mornington and also Donnycarney would be better areas than Laytown, though I am sure that Laytown might have pockets of good estates, I just don't know their names.

Laytown has the advantage of the train line on its doorstep, you'd have to drive or cycle to it from the above areas.

An even quieter area you could consider is Gormanstown & Stamullen- there is a train station in Gormanstown and a bunch of small shops in Stamullen. Also Balbriggan is only down the road for the bigger supermarkets.

Donacarney;)
    Put Donnycarney into daft.ie and you'll end up on the northside of Dublin.

Stamullen is a lovely little village, but you would definitely need a car or at the very least a bike to get to the train station.

OP will you be relying on public transport or have you got your own? You can park at some of the stations although there was a spate of cars being broken into and/or vandalised at Laytown.

If you go a wee bit further up into Drogheda there's the train station there also. Loads of choices of shops, restaurants, takeaways, supermarkets etc. There's plenty of houses on the southside of Drogheda that are walking distance to the train station. You have the beach only down the road at Mornington as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 dara.obriain

thanks for the replies all, Artsmart I haven't a clue what LLS is??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

St Anthony's villas is or used to be a council estate and is attached to Alverno heights and court etc I don't think it is as bad as Alverno but they are all connected. There is and always has been anti social behaviour up there. Tbh I would avoid this end of laytown. Mornington would me my favourite out of all the places mentioned. I would advise you to go for an established "old" estate wherever you choose as they are more settled. Are you going to drive to skerries or get the train? The train is more expensive from Drogheda than laytown but cheapest from balbriggan (which is where you could get on if you moved to stamullen or julianstown). If I were you I would rent first so you can get a feel for the place.

Thanks Millem, have been renting for nearly 15 years now though and just can't stomach anymore dosh going down the black hole- that is our reason for wanting to buy. just from what I can see on daft, st. anthony's looks like you said, an old corpo estate which i thought would be a good thing- many of the best places to buy around where i'm originally from (baldoyle) are old corpo estates that are now settled and really quiet.
    this isn't the same in laytown i gather. We would be driving to school (teacher and sna) in the morning and i have a folding bike which i take back on the train in the evening (wife drives home earlier). this is how we do it from baldoyle currently and it will be the same no matter where we go. looked at balbriggan also where there seems to be good and bad, might look back there based on the posts so far.

míle buíochas again for all the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,022 ✭✭✭Pipmae

I live in Stamullen. Lovely village, close to Gormanston train station and the M1 motorway. Easy access to Drogheda, Balbriggan and Swords.

The train fare isn't too bad at €1,460 per annum - avail of it on www.taxsaver.ie if you can. There was a special offer recently of €100 parking in the station for the year but it might have expired. You can park on the road outside the train station for free but you might not get a spot left for the 8am train.

There really are some great bargains to be had in Stamullen at the moment. You'd get a three bedroomed semi for under €170k. If your budget is bigger you'd get a four/five bedroomed detached for under €290k. The Orchard, Gracemeadow and Forgehill are IMO the nicer estates in Stamullen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 179 ✭✭Gary The Gamer

Pipmae wrote: »

There really are some great bargains to be had in Stamullen at the moment. You'd get a three bedroomed semi for under €170k. If your budget is bigger you'd get a four/five bedroomed detached for under €290k. The Orchard, Gracemeadow and Forgehill are IMO the nicer estates in Stamullen.

How is that a bargain? €170K is a huge amount of money. How much would a 3 bed semi be worth in 1996? Any particular reason that it should now be worth 2-3 times that, well above inflation?

looking at a house in Derham park on Monday. anyone know what the estate is like- seems old and settled??

• Advertisement

sorry folks, derham park in balbriggan.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭leelee77

Derham Park is a nice estate (I am from Balbriggan). It is settled and I don't imagine there would be much anti-social behaviour there. It is also about a 10 minute drive from Skerries.

Hope the viewing goes well!

• Registered Users Posts: 568 ✭✭✭mari2222

How is that a bargain? €170K is a huge amount of money. How much would a 3 bed semi be worth in 1996? Any particular reason that it should now be worth 2-3 times that, well above inflation?

In Meath, about £30K in 1996. or approx 37K euro.

Advertisement