Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

problem with landlord

Options
  • 17-09-2012 9:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

hi guys,
    i have moved into a shared house on the 1/8/12..
    i paid the deposit and one months rent by cheque. I have asked the landlord on numerious ocassions (by txt msg mostly) for lease agrement and also his bank details so i can pay this months (sept) rent. He is completly dimissing/ignoring my txt msgs, it usually takes him about 10 days to reply to txt and is very dismissive like he will txt after 10 days and say "we will sort lease in next few days". I find it very strange that he hasnt passed on his bank details as my rent is now overdue with 17 days. what should i do..?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭edellc

It's his problem rent is over due not yours so chill on that front, when he does show tell him no lease no rent, if he gets heavy tell him your going to PRTB

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Write a registered letter to the landlord requesting their bank details and outlining how you have been requesting them for several weeks and as a result the rent is 17 days overdue. This will cover you if the landlord decides to take a case against you for unpaid rent.

edellc wrote: »
    when he does show tell him no lease no rent, if he gets heavy tell him your going to PRTB

Never withhold rent for any reason; if for any reason it does go to a dispute its the one thing that is guaranteed to swing favour away from you.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Janedoe10

djimi wrote: »
    Write a registered letter to the landlord requesting their bank details and outlining how you have been requesting them for several weeks and as a result the rent is 17 days overdue. This will cover you if the landlord decides to take a case against you for unpaid rent.

I would agree with this to get some thing written down and registered should landlord decide "oh ya I never got money off so and so" and forget that u were chasing him to pay the money .
    Strange though that he let u in and now is no hurry to get rent off u . Either very disorganised or he has something major going on !?

Shure I'll take the money off your hands .

• Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

Here's a mad idea give him a call. :eek: He probably gets your texts and is no more interested in spending the money returning a text.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

When next mortgage payment comes around he's going to shout down the phone at you and try to twist this around as your fault.

Don't take any nonsense OP

Save those texts and I like the registered letter idea

edellc wrote: »
    when he does show tell him no lease no rent, if he gets heavy tell him your going to PRTB

Never withhold rent for any reason; if for any reason it does go to a dispute its the one thing that is guaranteed to swing favour away from you.

Normally I would never recommend withholding rent but with no bank to transfer money to and if the op has no receipt for monies paid then a PRTB hearing may or may not go the op's way, their word vs landlord. Also no lease to say op has any right to be there so yes a registered letter is needed but I stand by no lease no rent, at the end of the day landlord will have no way of proving tenant never paid rent just like tenant will have no way of proving he didn't ...

A written lease is not a legal requirement (that is what the part 4 tenancy covers), and as such the landlord not offering one is not grounds to withhold the rent. If the landlord provides the bank details or some method of payment then the OP must pay their rent.

If the landlord is not forthcoming with a written lease then the OP has the option of giving 30 days notice and leaving.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭The Gride

I Agree, have been there and it made all the difference.

A written lease is not a legal requirement (that is what the part 4 tenancy covers), and as such the landlord not offering one is not grounds to withhold the rent. If the landlord provides the bank details or some method of payment then the OP must pay their rent.

If the landlord is not forthcoming with a written lease then the OP has the option of giving 30 days notice and leaving.

The landlord has not provided a method of paying rent that is why the rent is 17 days late

Most people don't want a part 4 tenancy agreement they want a lease and when taking up a new rental agreement it is the norm to issue a lease most part 4 are entered into once a lease has expired

The tenant can't pay rent as they have no way of doing it this is the landlords fault so IMO I would be looking to move out

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 957 ✭✭✭leeomurchu

Hang on a minute you said you're in a shared house does one of your house mates not have his bank details as it's looking like you're going to have a part 4 Tenancy agreement.

Anyway if you're that concerned send your registered letter. then arrange 12 envelopes place each months rent in said envelope as rent due date rolls around have one of your house mates sign and date the envelope along with yourself. In the unlikely event that this does end up as a PRTB (which I doubt it will) you'll have a paper trail for your rent payments and you also wont spend it.

I'd imagine you've got a lazy landlord and the mortgage is either no existent or being covered by the other tenants rent I hope there's no issues with the house regarding repairs you may have a wait on your hands.

Advertisement