Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Phone Call App

• 17-09-2012 9:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

Sorry if something similar to this has been posted before but I couldn't find it using the search....

My girlfriend recently moved to Bristol in England and I was wondering if any of you knew of any apps or other ways around the international rates that would enable me to ring her for free or vice versa.

I know there's things like skype and stuff but if we were both in an area that doesn't have wifi is there a way?

Thanks for any help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Friel

I'm fairly sure most of them kind of apps use either wifi or 3G. Try Viber, but I doubt it'll work on anything less than 3G tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Skype works fine with 3g if you have a data plan on your mobile.
    Or it fully free if you both have computers with Skype on.

• Registered Users Posts: 612 ✭✭✭Qwerty Dub

Although its not an App for calling Im sure you and your gfriend would get great use out of 'Heytell' App. Download it and give it a shot. Dead handy for friends and partners abroad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

If you are a Vodafone bill pay customer their rates are now worldwide minutes so you could try that!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Huntelaar

scout353 wrote: »
    If you are a Vodafone bill pay customer their rates are now worldwide minutes so you could try that!

Really? So if I get 500 minutes with my contract per month then I can use those 500 minutes to call anywhere in the world for no extra charge??

Also, do any of you know do certain apps like Skype or similar ones use up different amounts of 3g? Like do any of them use less data than others?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭scout353

Huntelaar wrote: »
    Really? So if I get 500 minutes with my contract per month then I can use those 500 minutes to call anywhere in the world for no extra charge??

Also, do any of you know do certain apps like Skype or similar ones use up different amounts of 3g? Like do any of them use less data than others?

Yep! This from the Vodafone website

My Way Complete
    Premium smartphone plan
    months
    From
    €65.00
    Per month

What's included
    Additional charges

Why you'll love it

Call & text the world – 500 international minutes & unlimited international texts included
    2GB data – 2GB of data included with every smartphone
    Free calls and texts to Vodafone – All Vodafone to Vodafone calls and texts are included
    Need more than this? – add more minutes and data if you need to

As for data usage..........have no idea what each app uses but if you have 2GB of data you should be fine!

Advertisement