Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Paying maintenance for a child aged over 18.

Options
2»

Comments

Jorgp wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I paying €70 maintenance a week for my now 19 year old son, he is in collage now, for the last 9 years.
    The first 5 years I payed €100 a week and then even €120 for 2 years, €20 extra for braces.
    I am on a cord order to pay €100 a week.
    I reduced this to €70 myself 3 years ago
    because I have another child with my new partner and just could not pay as much any more.
    Now I want to stop paying altogether because I can not manage the cost anymore, every week I getting more in the minus on my account.
    Me and my partner earning about €32000 net a year.
    My still wife is earning at least €35000 net as a teacher and she has a new partner and she got the house and and and
    I have to pay rent [not geting a mortgage because of the maintenance] can not go on any holiday, no money for it, had to take a credit to top up my current account and lots other money problems.
    Will I just stop and see what happen, as when I reduced from €100 to €70 nothing happend.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/birth_family_relationships/separation_and_divorce/maintenance_orders_and_agreements.html
    In cases where a parent/spouse/civil partner fails to comply with a court order and does not pay the amount awarded, an attachment of earnings order can be sought from the court, if the person is in employment or on a private pension. This order results in the maintenance amount being deducted at source by the parent's/spouse's/civil partner's employer. If the parent/spouse/civil partner is self-employed, an enforcement summons can be applied for.

It is advisable to update weekly maintenance payments annually. Where maintenance orders have been made through the courts, either party can at a later date apply to the court to have the amount varied. (Varied means having the amount increased or decreased). In order to do this, you will require a variation order.
    You're lucky your ex didn't make a fuss three years ago, you might not be so lucky this time.

Why don't you just talk to her and see if you can come to some agreement?

Otherwise, you can apply to have the court ordered amount changed formally.

Advertisement