Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Calling all people who did Classical Studies!

• 17-09-2012 9:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

I am currently in my Leaving Certificate year. I do History and Religion and I have a big interest in doing Classical Studies, it looks so interesting and I could get my teachers to correct essays for me. Could anyone suggest the books for this year? And do you think it's possible in one year? Any help would be great! :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Classof2013

Any bit of help would be great please! I guess not that many people do it :/

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ACBBFG

There aren't really any textbooks for classics. There are ten topics of which you do 4. you need to choose them before you can get books. I did ancient epics so I had the Odyssey and The Aeneid. For plays we had prometheus bound, oedipus the king and medea. a lot of people leave prometheus out but I think it's the easiest one. for roman art and architecture we a book by Wheeler. For Alexander the Great you have to have the recommended texts by Plutarch and Arrian.

All the books are available in school bookstores and online.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Robynne

Do you pick any 4 you like or whats the stroy there ? :)
    I understand you must have atleast one from each group but how do you pick the topics ?
    thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 ACBBFG

Hi, I'd advise you to have a look here http://www.caiteachers.com/Classical_Studies_Resources.html#Classical_Studies_Syllabus

it explains everything you need to know in the syllabus section. The CAIT website is extremely useful, they put up good notes and loads of marking schemes which is a lot easier than having to switch from year to year on examinations.ie

Advertisement