Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TUF Season 16 - ***SPOILERS***

• 17-09-2012 9:55pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Maybe I'm missing something but I couldn't find anything when searching for a thread on this already.

It started on Friday (state side, I know) but there still wasn't anything here about it. Maybe everyone is afraid of publicly speaking that they watched it illegally :pac:

I'm in the middle of watching the fights for the house. Liking what I've seen so far.

Won't post any spoilers in here for now but it'll probably be pretty spoiler heavy in the future.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Just finished watching the first episode. I suppose I should put spoiler tags in since it hasn't been broadcast yet........
    I know they always edit the show to look really exciting but this season does genuinely look good. There was a lot of great fights to get into the house and I hope that's an indicator of how it goes for the rest of the show.

I already have my favourite cast member.....Smilin' Sam Alvey! What a character. And what a KO in his fight! Can't wait to see him fight again.
    And I also already have a guy that I immediately disliked.....Colton Smith. I didn't like the way he faked theglove touch and went straight for the double-leg. Shítty thing to do imo.
    Dom Waters looks like a beast too. And I want to see more of the guy that looks like an accountant. :pac:
    I'm delighted Snoop Dogg got into the house too! :D (Neil Magny)

So many good fighters in this season. I hope it lives up to it.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

You pretty much summed it up for me. Agree with all picks for and against the fighters listed above.

Can't remember the name of
    the accountant lad
    but he was impressive and I really look forward to seeing him again.

There also looks to be a lot more handbags then there has been in the past but I guess as you said, they edit it to make it look like "THEE most exciting season since TUF 1".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

wasnt so impressed with the fights in general, lot of gassing and crap grappling skills.

looks like future 'excitement' is just that stupid red mohawk guy getting drunk and smashing bottles and screaming.

roy was strangly quiet during all of the fights.

a lot of triangle finishes too wasn't there? nearly comical watching that guy near the end getting caught in like 50 submissions but didnt stop him trying to plough inefficiently in the other guys guard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

A few good fights and some not so good, yeah the smilley guy was good but surprised he was first pick, I think he'll get ko'd with his lack of head movement.
    Think Cameron Diffley will win overall, very impressed with his bjj.
    The house looks entertaining with fights happening all over the place(though this good be just good editing :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Really disappointed that
    Frank Camacho
    didn't get into the house.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭phily2002

Right well that shows how much I know :D Not a great fight, Cameron could have stole it with a sub in the first but his stand up was crap. I don't get why he wasn't shooting more and keeping it on the ground...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

The accountant is the image of Ryan Gosling

Finally got around to watching episode 2.
    Good win by Neil.
    Camerons stand-up is nowhere near good enough.
    I think Roy Nelson is a terrible coach. If I was any of the guys on his team I'd be píssed off that I got stuck with him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 599 ✭✭✭Ian Whelan

Carwin's team will dominate this I feel. Shame there are no European fighters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,651 ✭✭✭stiffler123

Toss up between Nelson and Rampage for worst TUF coach ever I think. Looking forward to seeing Sam Alvey fight again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,753 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Is this being broadcast on any channel in UK or Ireland

Just caught up on Ep.2 - WTF is Roy thinking? The guys logic behind coaching are totally moronic and he's contradicting himself as he goes.

Telling Carmen to "do his own thing and be comfortable" and then when he loses he starts telling him "we didn't teach you those new things for no reason, there's no point sticking to your own plan".

The guy is a disaster and I feel sorry for his team.

There doesn't seem to be much interest in this season and, after watching episode 7, I can see why.

All but 1 fight so far have been totally and utterly shit. 6 fights in and 6 decision. I'm not saying that any fight that goes the distance is rubbish but these were. Apart from Colton v Ellis. There was probably about 12 punches thrown in the last fight between Hill and Secor.

Also, the judging on that episode was just embarrassing! Who ever scored that should retire.

Neither fighter deserved to win imo.

I normally watch every episode even if it's a shít season but I've just lost all interest now. I only watched the first 2 episodes I think and gave up after that.

I think TUF is dead. They need to come up with something totally new. Something like a reality show following fighters in the lead up to their first UFC fight or something. Or following 1 well known fighter for a year and watching everything they go through...the highs and the lows and all that type of stuff.
    I think TUF has lost its appeal with the majority of people at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Jonah42

Dean09 wrote: »
    I think TUF is dead. They need to come up with something totally new. Something like a reality show following fighters in the lead up to their first UFC fight or something. Or following 1 well known fighter for a year and watching everything they go through...the highs and the lows and all that type of stuff.

I think this fits the bill of what you're looking for:

Yeah that sort of stuff.
    I think if the UFC did something like that with a UFC fighter it'd get a big audience.
    They need to think up something fast because TUF is dead on its feet and I don't think it'll ever come back to what it was. It'll pick up next season with Jones and Sonnen but that's it. The ratings will plummet again unless they do another comeback season.
    There's plenty of scope for reality type shows that Zuffa could do. The current model just isn't working anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭Kent Brockman

I'm still following it (and the Smashes!).
    As there is no fighter bashing allowed I will just say that Julien (Red Mo-Hawk) may have some issues!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

As there is no fighter bashing allowed I will just say that Julien (Red Mo-Hawk) may have some issues!

That's quite the understatement. He is a mentalist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

If ever a fighter needed to be bashed...! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,476 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

I'm still following it (and the Smashes!).

As one of the other fighters in the house said, guys like him make the sport look how media bashers want it to look. Television ratings trump all I spose...

• Advertisement

That's the 3rd time he's blown up. He should just be kicked out of the house. He serves no purpose there whatsoever.

Impressed with the last fight. Nice to finally see a finish!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

That's the 3rd time he's blown up. He should just be kicked out of the house. He serves no purpose there whatsoever.

Impressed with the last fight. Nice to finally see a finish!

And nice to see a nice guy win!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

If anyone's given up on this, the most recent episode has a good fight.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭RainMaker

If anyone's given up on this, the most recent episode has a good fight.

..and another minor outburst from Julian "let me bang, bro" Lane :D

MMAJunkie has it spot on with this line
    Back at the house, military vet Colton Smith is engaged with resident drama queen Julian Lane...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,812 ✭✭✭lertsnim

"I don't want to fight my bro"

Well he wants to fight you. I lol'd

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

I would love to see someone open up on Julian... he reminds me of Mr. Furious in Mystery Men. All talk and no action, if he really was 'that badass' why not just punch someone... he is out of the competition anyhow and he probably wont ever get a fight in the UFC as he would give the brand a bad name. But he wont because he would have his ass handed to him by everyone else in there.

mr_furious1.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,460 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

RoboRat wrote: »
    he probably wont ever get a fight in the UFC as he would give the brand a bad name.

Didn't work that way with Junie Browning...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

I finding it hard to find the latest episode. When did or has episode 11 screened. Or is there a break to the finals now or something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭rain on

There's a break this week because of Thanksgiving I think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

rain on wrote: »
    There's a break this week because of Thanksgiving I think

Thanks. I thought as much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

DrPhilG wrote: »
    Didn't work that way with Junie Browning...
    Junie had one post TUF fight (which he lost), a while later he was cut he was cut for punching staff at the hospital.

I imagine Julian could end up having a very similar career.

Advertisement