Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mental prices at Gleesons butchers Blanchardstown

Options
  • 17-09-2012 10:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭

I Went into Gleesons butchers in the Blanchardstown centre to get some fillet steak to make beef wellington and asked for a piece about so big was told that will be €15 - I said what? (it was tiny and not very good looking) how much is that per kilo I asked and he said €44 - I said thats very dear he said nah thats how much it costs so I said no thanks and went to Aldi in Clonee and got Irish angus 14 day matured fillet steak (restaurant quality) for €22 per kilo ... LITERALLY HALF PRICE AND TWICE THE QUALITY

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,449 ✭✭✭nudger

Used to buy from Roselawn store but found the B.S.C store much more expensive.
    They have to pay the shopping center rent I guess.
    €44 a kilo is a bit cheeky.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,754 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

I bought three so-called "striploin" steaks there a few days back that were actually poor quality, fatty sirloin laced with gristle. Very disappointed as Gleesons has been good in the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭green123

how often do you buy fillet steak in a butchers ?

the butcher was right when he said that that is how much it costs.

most butchers would charge around 40 per kilo so 44 is not mental at all, its about normal for a butcher.

the fillet steak in aldi is great value and tastes great and has been discussed and recommended on boards lots of times

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

green123 wrote: »
    how often do you buy fillet steak in a butchers ?

the butcher was right when he said that that is how much it costs.

Not very often I've more sense than money

You think the butcher was right at €44 per kilo/€1.25 per ounce raw - so if you want to cook nine ounce fillet steaks youd pay €11.25 per steak? REALLY?

dickwod1 wrote: »
    You think the butcher was right at €44 per kilo/€1.25 per ounce raw - so if you want to cook nine ounce fillet steaks youd pay €11.25 per steak? REALLY?

of course he was right, and if he was charging 50 or 60 or even 100 he would still be right, he can set any price that he wants.

like i have already said 40 is about the going rate for fillet in a butchers, most butchers will be charging around that. so maybe 44 is a little on the high side but not that far from the average and certainly not mental.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

Their 6 items for 20 euro is a very good deal...mince,bacon,sausages,chicken pieces,chops and fillets...

of course he was right, and if he was charging 50 or 60 or even 100 he would still be right, he can set any price that he wants.

like i have already said 40 is about the going rate for fillet in a butchers, most butchers will be charging around that. so maybe 44 is a little on the high side but not that far from the average and certainly not mental.

Of course he can, if he is a thick and doesn't want to stay in business.

Gleesons is handy when your in the center but if you go 2 km down the road to Rosemount B.P. Branagan's Meats will do the fillet steak for half the price.

I prefer ribeye at €15 a kilo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

i buy all my meat in gleesons (Roselawn) and have found them to be great. i dont eat fillet steak so i wont comment on that price. i go for a T-bone,sirloin or striploin. i also buy my fish there and get the 3 for a tenner regularly. i also use the 5 items for 20 quid fairly regularly. i have nothing but good experiences in there and the butchers are all sound and very customer focused. i have gotten good deals because they know me in there now and have often knocked a few quid off the price of something for me if i was short.

True and he has set any price he wants which is €44 per kilo and as I said mental price

Most butchers are not charging €40 (never mind €44 per kilo)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Its horses for courses with meat, I find local butchers good value and quality for bulk buying offers for the usual things like chicken, chops, joints, mince - I go to the one in Ongar. Gleesons have generally nice stuff as well. For the finer cuts you will tend to get better value in the chain stores as they usually have something discounted every week and the economy of scale favours a bigger bulk. You can also be more choosy about the exact size and weight you need etc

Its like anything, you'd be silly to shop for the week in a Centra or Spar

• Advertisement

Most butchers are not charging €40 (never mind €44 per kilo)

you are wrong.

most butchers charge around 40 per kilo for fillet steak.

you have already said that you dont buy it very often so you are obviously unaware of the going rate in a butchers.

have a look at the price in the next 5 or 6 butchers that you pass and you will see the average price for yourself

you are wrong.

most butchers charge around 40 per kilo for fillet steak.

you have already said that you dont buy it very often so you are obviously unaware of the going rate in a butchers.

have a look at the price in the next 5 or 6 butchers that you pass and you will see the average price for yourself

Nope you are wrong with everthing in that post ... I said I dont buy it very often in butchers because I've more sense than money - it does not mean I dont buy fillet steak often or look to see or ask what the prices are in various butchers so im not "obviously unaware of the going rate in a butchers"

I'm beginning to think your last name might be Gleeson as you seem to be so passionate to exonerate the butcher and his mental prices

To much red meat lads, what you think.:pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Alright lads chill out, less of the personal stuff.

where are these butchers that sell cheap fillet steak ?

and how much do they charge ?

why did you not go to the other butchers who are so much cheaper ?

answer : because they dont exist.

http://www.wilsonsbutchers.com/beef/2-x-fillet-steaks-detail

http://www.thepremiumbutcher.ie/premium-beef/31-dry-aged-fillet-steak-8oz-pack-of-2.html

http://www.joedoylefreshfoods.com/shop.php

http://www.mtwomeybutchers.ie/beef-page49747.html

http://www.jackmccarthy.ie/shop/products-page-2/beef/fillet-steak-8oz/

http://www.dublinmeatcompany.com/buy-beef-online/fillet-steak

http://www.gilliganmeats.ie/beef-products.php

http://www.jameswhelanbutchers.com/products.php?cat=Beef

there is a selection of butchers who advertise their prices online, some a bit below 40 per kilo and some a little over 40 per kilo.

i dont know what more i can do. its very hard to argue with someone who wont accept simple facts.

does nobody else know the price of a fillet steak in a butchers ?

can people post up the prices in other butchers so that we can compare

As it's the company that I mentioned.

www.branaganmeats.com/

Fillet from €22 - €27.50 a kilo, hope they don't see this and up their prices.

thats a great price nudger, but they are a meat processing factory based in an industrial estate not a butcher in a shopping centre.

i think the kepak factory in clonee also have similar prices.

i think aldi fillets are hard to beat for value and convenience.

so getting back to butchers, anyone got any prices ?

A selection of premium butchers from Cork to Wicklow and Tipp to Tallaght and so on

But none of the local butchers around Dublin 15?

Anyone can throw up some fancy websites that suit there side of the story from the 32 counties

Im quite bored of this now and im not going to follow this anymore.

why dont you post up these great prices from d15 ?

again same answer - because you cant beacuse they dont exist because you are wrong.

and now you are not going to follow because you know that you are in the wrong.

check your facts before you posts any more inaccurate rants

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Gaspode has already told you to cut out the bickering, and now I'm telling you. Next person to have a go at another poster on this thread gets infracted.

• Advertisement

thats a great price nudger, but they are a meat processing factory based in an industrial estate not a butcher in a shopping centre.

They used to have a shop in Castleknock village a few years ago but knew they could do better prices from the Factory.

Couldn't tell you other butcher prices for fillet in D15, often buy from Sweeney's in Laurel lodge, good quality, but more for bits and bobs.

When over around the KCR I drop into http://www.courtneyfoodservice.com/ another factory shop, good quality and you can see the price of the Fillet is a lot cheaper than €40-44, they don't say the weight but 4 large fillets for €20 is very good.

I'll pop into Sweeney's for the crack and see what they charge and maybe Roselawn if I get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I like Gleesons.

I think their quality is good, and I like personal service they provide.

Haven't been to Roselawn for a good while but they always looked after me when I was there.

Used to pop up on a Saturday morning just after they opened.
    They would always have the deals in the window with the price tag on the front piece of meat which would be the biggest one, eg. 1/2 leg of pork 8.99.
    That's the one I always got, times were tough then.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,584 ✭✭✭ronan45

:eek: did i hear you right kepak have a shop there at the cottage that the public can visit??:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,331 ✭✭✭lazeedaisy

I buy Fillet Steak all the time as anything less is not good value for me as my hubby wont eat anythine else.

The thing with Fillet is - its pure good meat, no fat, no bits you throw out and you dont need twice as m uch as it does not really shrink when cooked.

Its not a bad price but i pay about 35 euro and I buy local in Carlow all the time,

Hubby wont eat angus either so Aldi is out.

I feel you should have done a little bit more research if its not something you use all the time, the reason Fillet is so expensive is there is no wastre and all the taste.

Since moving out of Dublin - I find the quality of meat is so different, its all local cattle and tastes so fresh, and not as expensive as Dublin,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭wildlifeboy

I concur with the prices and taste of meat in country butchers. every time i am down i mayo in grab a load of meat. its not necessarily much cheaper but i do find it tastes better. now whether that's a a placebo or my mind playing tricks on me that's a different story. i know of one pub if you say the right thing or have a connection they will sell you poached wild salmon out the back. the taste is 1000000 times better than any salmon i have bought anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,080 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

lazeedaisy wrote: »
    I buy Fillet Steak all the time as anything less is not good value for me as my hubby wont eat anythine else.

The thing with Fillet is - its pure good meat, no fat, no bits you throw out and you dont need twice as m uch as it does not really shrink when cooked.

Its not a bad price but i pay about 35 euro and I buy local in Carlow all the time,

Hubby wont eat angus either so Aldi is out.

I feel you should have done a little bit more research if its not something you use all the time, the reason Fillet is so expensive is there is no wastre and all the taste.

Since moving out of Dublin - I find the quality of meat is so different, its all local cattle and tastes so fresh, and not as expensive as Dublin,

Hubby will only eat fillet, but not Angus? When all the red meat gets him can I have you?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional Midlands Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators, Regional North Mods, Regional West Moderators, Regional South East Moderators, Regional North East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 8,032 CMod ✭✭✭✭Gaspode

Why would you throw away the fat, that's the tastiest bit!

(Also, I'd love to do a blind test on your hubby see if he can really tell the difference between fillet steaks from different breeds! :) )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

I don't eat meat , or visit butchers in general but I do know Gleesons in the shopping centre do 5 very fresh chicken breasts for 5e. I shop there for my sons.
    They also have some good 'mix and match' offers.

The chicken in Dunnes is more expensive and not so fresh... and as for the chicken in Tesco & Spar Mulhuddart- forget it! I've seen dodgy (smell, green hue) chicken on 'special' there plenty of times.

I wouldn't know about steak though :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Kev.

ronan45 wrote: »
    :eek: did i hear you right kepak have a shop there at the cottage that the public can visit??:eek:

Yup,

Thursday and Friday 1-5

Advertisement