Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carnival @ Blanch Centre

Options
  • 17-09-2012 10:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all. Just wondering what the general concensus is with regards to the carnival that comes to our neck of the woods every so often. It's in town at the moment actually.

Do people look at it as a positive for the area? Would you be happy allowing your kids go to it? Do you think it's a fun date location? Basically looking for some Pros and Cons here.

Also, any news or events about it would be welcome e.g. special offers, opening times etc.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Never been to it so can't really comment. Is it part of Birds Amusements (who operate Funderland?). Birds also come to Tralee (where I'm originally from) once a year at Rose of Tralee time. It is such a much loved institution among the locals there (every kid loves it and every grown up has fond memories of it from their childhood). Not sure if it resonates that way with the residents of D15 but I'm sure kids would love it, no?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

I hate to see it each year.
    There have been accidents and it's always too loud, they get primary schools to distribute leaflets for them putting pressure on parents and it blocks off a section of the park from being used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

It only comes once a year so it's not too bad. I think it's open from 6-10pm Monday to Friday and 2pm-10pm on the weekends.

I've gone most years, and brought my 2 and a half year old last year. She went on all the small things and loved it. Will be bringing her and her younger sister back this year. We'll be there maybe an hour with the both of them. It can be busy.

There was one accident at that fun fair and it was three or four years ago now.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

I wouldn't go to it myself but it seems to be visited by many. It doesn't effect me so I have no major thoughts on it.

It's a bit of a rip off, that's the only negative I can come up with.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭Arciphel

I am just waiting for Okocim to post on her experiences in the carnival... :pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,117 ✭✭✭✭MrJoeSoap

Wasn't someone seriously injured on one of the attractions a few years back? I remember hearing first-hand reports. Mightn't have been the same crowd, but was definitely a fun-fair around the Blanch area.

EDIT: Found it... http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0918/funfair.html

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

It's too loud (I can hear it in my bedroom or front room with all the windows closed). In fairness, it has been less loud this year & last year than previous years but still audible. The only "good" thing I'd say is that it finishes bang on time at 10pm.

There seem to be reams of teenagers at it most nights from what I can see heading up and down during the evening so I guess it gives them something fun to do or look forward to.

Personally, I went once about 8 years ago, have not been back since.

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Awesome-O

I used to go along for a walk around and a go on a few of the rides, havn't been for 2 years but will probably go some evening this week. I was there the night of the accident a few years back and I may be incorrect in saying this but I've noticed this year some of the rides are missing and the tall one is now shorter then the big wheel which it never was before. Could this be that health and safety have cracked down since the accident or maybe as I'm getting older the rides look less scary!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,042 ✭✭✭spooky donkey

Awesome-O wrote: »
    Could this be that health and safety have cracked down since the accident!

I doubt the carnival poses any health risks, just safty ones.

I went last year very pricy, I passed by it monday night and it seemed empty I would say they are suffering like every other busniess

• Advertisement

I thought they seemed quieter then usual when I passed by too, it's sad to see. Hopefully it's just that everyone is holding out for 'Monday Madness' next week, like you say it is pricey any other day

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Was "Monday Madness" not Monday just gone?
    A friend went with her son, it was 2e admission on Monday, and 3e to go on anything. Not really great value imo. (34e for 2 people in and go on 5 rides, never mind the cost of food / candy floss / drinks.
    She also told me the catering van was a bit unhygenic looking, the assistant handling burgers, candy floss and money. Queue for the food, but only one assistant (overworked looking!) working on Monday.

I saw a sign yesterday advertising it for next Monday but maybe it's every Monday that it's here, it used to be that way anyway.

Expensive to bring kids but I'm a grown up so I can limit the number of rides I go on myself and eat before I go out so I don't even look at the food. No tears and tantrums!

I do agree it's a lot if you're bringing a family for a day out.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Monday Madness is usually the last day before they leave. One euro for most things as far as I remember.
    They'll be packed up and shipped out by the time most of us get up on Tuesday!

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭johnwest288

zef wrote: »
    Was "Monday Madness" not Monday just gone?
    A friend went with her son, it was 2e admission on Monday, and 3e to go on anything. Not really great value imo. (34e for 2 people in and go on 5 rides, never mind the cost of food / candy floss / drinks.
    She also told me the catering van was a bit unhygenic looking, the assistant handling burgers, candy floss and money. Queue for the food, but only one assistant (overworked looking!) working on Monday.

34 Euro for 2?????? Whats that include????
    i assume unlimited access to the 4 rides?:rolleyes:

Anyone know if this ends tonight or tomorrow?? Sooner the better!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Yikes! Apologies - spoke to said friend yesterday, she thought it was 'monday madness ' last week. Now she dosen't think it was- after being charged 2e X 2 (her & son) & 3e per ride.

@johnwest, I meant this is how much they spent (4e in for 2) 5 goes on the yokes at 3e each x 2.(30e)
    Miserable oul day for "Monday Madness' if it is indeed today.

Isn't it just a terrible day for it, shame

Advertisement