Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unsure about career path

Options
  • 17-09-2012 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I did a Computer Science degree and after graduating I got a job with an big investment bank. When I started I was given 3 months training in different technologies (Java, SQL, Unix) before starting in my current team.

I joined my team as a junior programmer but I wasn't able to do the work they where giving me as a lot of it went over my head. So they put me into a different role in the team where I was responsible for all the releases going out and I have been able to do the role but it bores the hell out me.

I had a 1 to 1 with my manager and he was saying that he can tell that I do no enjoy my role and because of that they cannot see me replacing anyone in my team. This would lead me to get a bad review come January and he "does not what to give me a 4 [as in 4/5]" in my review. He asked me what I wanted to do with my career as in do I want to be a developer, tester, support etc. As he was being honest with me I said I had no idea. He was telling me that I should have a look at the jobs listed internally and see does anything take my fancy. He said he would give me a good review if I was to leave internally or externally but he stressed that I should not leave the company.

I do get the feeling thought that he wants me gone out of team as the guy I replaced is rejoining after completing his masters and he will be doing everything I am doing ATM.

But I have no idea what I want to do, so I am wondering is there anything I can do so I that I can figure out what type of role that I would be best suited to?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,485 ✭✭✭✭Ickle Magoo

Hey there OP,

We have a Work Problems sub-forum in the Work and Jobs forum which your post is better suited to but as you are posting unregistered you would have no way of following the thread over.

Could you post again to let me know you've read this post and I'll move it over.
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Please move to jobs section

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭chickenchaser

careerunknown, I'd start looking around for a new job if I were you. Looks like you weren't properly trained for the job you applied for and then shunted into another role!

Don't feel pressured by him saying not to leave the company, a fresh start elsewhere might to be to your benefit.

Send your cv into some recruitment agencies, maybe have a chat with the agents on the phone, they are really nice and could help you figure out a role you might enjoy.

Advertisement