Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Food allergies

Options
  • 17-09-2012 10:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

I started my breastfed baby on solids at 20 weeks, she is almost 6 months now and is doing very well, her main diet is still breast milk. I tried her on bedtime banana this evening, but unfortunately it didn't agree with her at all and her face came out in a rash. I'm just wondering if anyone else had a baby with food sensitivities, and what necessary steps I should take. I will take her to her gp and try to get food allergy testing done, but any tips greatly appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Our baby reacts to nuts and egg.

Usually they tell you to avoid it, but is it milupa bedtime banana? There is a long enough list of ingredients in that from what I remember.. Oils and things. you wouldn't be sure exactly what she is reacting to in it. Don't try that again anyway.

Did you get a photo of the rash? That really helps them in the allergy unit, as there are loads of types of rashes. I know it is hard to think of at the time, but if you have a phone with a camera on it, and you see it again, just take a few pics of it.

You can contact your GP for an appointment, but there is a longish waiting list. If you participated in any research studies like SCOPE or BASELINE you should contact your research coordinator, they can sometimes fasttrack you for allergy testing. There isn't any huge rush. They will test to confirm what you have seen yourself, and maybe peanut. But they won't test for every allergy out there. If it is confirmed, you just avoid it, which you would sort of do anyway.

It may not be an allergy. Fngers crossed it isn't.

What they do in allergy testing is this:
    They take a history of reactions. Dates, times, food and what happened.

Then they do a scratch test. This is where they out drops of allergens on the babies skin, and with a small blade scratch the skin in each drop. Wait two minutes, and if a hive appears it is a positive test.

They do a blood test. This can show them how strong the reaction is. They continue to do these over time to see if it is decreasing. When it is low, you can start to introduce the food again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

In case she is allergic to any other foods, when you introduce a new food, only introduce one new food/veg/fruit at a time (no more than one new thing in a single day) and try it for 2 or 3 days in a row. This means if you get a new reaction you know exactly what it was that caused it, and you can avoid that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

My niece was allergic to banana. She would break out in a rash everytime. It was the only thing she had a reaction to so her mum just avoided it. She didn't go for any food testing or anything, she just steered clear of banana.

Funny enough she's 1 now and she eats bananas no problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 MillyLou

Thanks for all the feedback, much appreciated. It was the milupa bedtime banana, steering well clear of that now. Up until now, she has only had all fresh foods, steamed and blended, and all have been great. The doctor has told me to keep records, dates and reactions to foods from now on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Funny enough she's 1 now and she eats bananas no problem.

Yes, they told me that most babies grow out of allergies by the time they are 4. Yay!

• Advertisement
Advertisement