Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

vodka bottle frozen.

• 17-09-2012 10:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭

hey guys, so my roommate just txt me giving out that her vodka bottle is half frozen. now the other lads had a sesh the other night while we were away. my mate reckons her vodka was watered down,.
    now i know that the freezing point of pure alcohol is well below freezing (-21oc?????) but is there anything that would freeze in a freezer that they use to make the drink itself.?
    just want to know if they could have been so sneeky, which wouldnt surprise me.
    cheers

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

Renno123 wrote: »
    hey guys, so my roommate just txt me giving out that her vodka bottle is half frozen. now the other lads had a sesh the other night while we were away. my mate reckons her vodka was watered down,.
    now i know that the freezing point of pure alcohol is well below freezing (-21oc?????) but is there anything that would freeze in a freezer that they use to make the drink itself.?
    just want to know if they could have been so sneeky, which wouldnt surprise me.
    cheers

Didn't they have something on Mythbusters, where they used Vodka as anti freeze liquid?

The Vodka was watered down, for sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,442 ✭✭✭Sulla Felix

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

Has anyone really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like?

I think we found the culprit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Depends on the freezer and quality of the vodka but I have often kept vodka in the icebox of a fridge and it never freezes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 654 ✭✭✭girl2

Vodka never freezes......not ever.

Dammit......slush puppies are so goddamm nice - but no good with Vod!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Vodka doesn't freeze in a regular freezer. Definite shenanigans.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,749 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Vodka (37.5% vol alcohol or higher) is not frozen at -19C (that's as cold as 4 star domestic freezers get)

Someone has watered it down substantially...

Someone who underestimated the OP :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,136 ✭✭✭✭Rayne Wooney

I'll have some of what he's having

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,653 ✭✭✭Ghandee

I've had vodka go slushy on me before.

Not a chance it was watered down (I'm the only vodka drinker in my own house).

Absolut if it makes any difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

I've had vodka go slushy like a slush puppy on me. Brand new bottle. It was Smirnoff so should have been good but then again ive my doubts too... I bought it abroad so maybe they watered it down?!
    Maybe there's a certain amount of condensation in an opened bottle that will freeze when frozen..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

Might have been Absolute Shyte?

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Renno123

I've had vodka go slushy like a slush puppy on me. Brand new bottle. It was Smirnoff so should have been good but then again ive my doubts too... I bought it abroad so maybe they watered it down?!
    Maybe there's a certain amount of condensation in an opened bottle that will freeze when frozen..

From what i gather from my friend, half the bottle is frozen.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Renno123

Pottler wrote: »
    Might have been Absolute Shyte?

I'll check the brand before I go all Jessica Fletcher.
    might down some of it too... dutch courage and all :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

I'll check the brand before I go all Jessica Fletcher.
    might down some of it too... dutch courage and all :cool:
    Keep clear of that biddy, everywhere she goes, someone dies. I believe Pub Vodka freezes very well, not that it's ever watered down, or anything.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Could be cheap vodka either. Vodka will freeze, just not in a domestic freezer.
    Check these out. Chemistry is your friend and maybe try Google next time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Most vodkas will freeze in a freezer, especially if the freezer hasn't been defrosted in a while, Smirnoff is the easiest one to freeze.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Karona

We bought cheap vodka in Lanzarote, put it in the freezer and it was frozen solid the next day. Serves us right for buying the cheap stuff though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

Did you just use the words 'Smirnoff' and 'good' in the same sentence? Shame on you.

We had bottles of vodka in the freezer constantly last week and none of it froze, nor the jagermeister. The captain morgans didn't freeze either but it didn't mix properly with the pineapple juice and settled on top even after stirring.

Just thought I'd share that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

I'll share this, do not mix ouzo and Coca Cola.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Intensive Care Bear

There has been a bottle of Grey Goose in our freezer for the last few weeks and its not frozen just really really cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Smirnoff will freeze in a domestic freezer.
    Jaegermeister however does not freeze..

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭superblu

Have had a bottle of absolut vodka freeze on me before in the freezer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

From what i gather from my friend, half the bottle is frozen.

Top or bottom half?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,669 ✭✭✭✭ted1

The water content is freezing while the alcohol is not. It is quite common.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BOF666

Why has everyone got their vodka in the freezer?

I just keep mine in the press, and it never freezes...

BOF666 wrote: »

Because they think it's cool

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

BOF666 wrote: »

I just keep mine in the press, and it never freezes...

Best cold, especially if you like it neat. Saves having to add ice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

I started this thread when it happened to me: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=78601055

The only thing I've learned is that it happens to all alcohol below 40%

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Shryke wrote: »

That Greek stuff from LIDL? What should you mix it with?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭chrismon

Its frozen on me in the freezer before.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Reading that hurt my eyes..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

This would suggest that it's touch and go depending on the exact concentration of alcohol and the freezer.

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/ethanol-water-d_989.html

• Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

frozen vodka? not in the coldest, darkest depths of a homeless glasgow night

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭leverarch12

Iv had an unopened bottle of vodka freeze before so yeah it can happen so take that all ye people saying its not possible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

That Greek stuff from LIDL? What should you mix it with?

water is good.
    cruais wrote: »
    Reading that hurt my eyes..

Drinking neat spirits make you go blind.
    I've given up on the curiosity of drinking spirits over 40% neat. Unless it's homemade and I don't want upset my host, 'cos they've been drinking....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭marshbaboon

There's only 2 degree threshold between the freezing point of absolut and the temperature of a domestic freezer.

It just froze. Thaw it out, drink some, and you'll quickly be able to tell if it's been watered down or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Shryke wrote: »
    Don't mix ouzo with anything, especially the contents of your stomach.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭flas

on the poster who used smirnoff and good in the same sentence,i once had people come up to the bar to me and ask for vodka,i go to give them some grey goose,they started shouting at me to hold on,dont be giving us that cheap shyte there lad,give us the smirnoff(red label il add)...what is it with some irish people and absolute muck alcohol,for a nation that thinks we are great drinkers we generally tend to drink horrid crap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭hefferboi

vodka's rotten anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Because they think it's cool
    That..and if youre doing shots of vodka, having it ice cold makes it more more palatable.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭BOF666

That..and if youre doing shots of vodka, having it ice cold makes it more more palatable.

Just do shots of something palatable instead :P

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Is it Czech vodka? probably best to leave it alone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,814 ✭✭✭TPD

I had a wee bottle of 160 proof blue absinthe in one of those big chest freezer yokes for a good while. Made for some damn tasteless shots and numb throats.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭gigawatt2007

Were you in the freezer with the vodka by any chance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,423 ✭✭✭V_Moth

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 906 ✭✭✭LiamMc

Sulla Felix, I would like to apologise, I thanked a post that ridiculed your own post. However, in light of new information to me I feel your post is not only appropriate to the thread but also accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

Vodka should turn to a gel-like substance if it's been left in the freezer too long. It's been watered down for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I've kept a bottle of smirnoff in a domestic freezer for months and it didn't freeze. Just goes very viscous, which is pretty cool.

Also had a bottle of Boru in the freezer for a couple of weeks. Same deal.

The bottle is actually pretty cool when you take it out - a coat of frost immediately forms on the bottle up to the line of the liquid.

If it freezes, then you've either got an unfeasibly cold freezer, or it's been watered down.

If your vodka gets any kind of ice crystals in it, then it's definitely been watered down. If it freezes, it should all freeze together.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Ghandee wrote: »
    I've had vodka go slushy on me before.

Not a chance it was watered down (I'm the only vodka drinker in my own house).

Absolut if it makes any difference.

I've had that happen too and i certainly hadn't watered down my own vodka. Was absolut too by the way. Nicest vodka going in my opinion!

• Advertisement
Advertisement