Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

vodka bottle frozen.

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭Quorum

1210m5g wrote: »
    There has been a bottle of Grey Goose in our freezer for the last few weeks and its not frozen just really really cold.

That's good vodka though.

BOF666 wrote: »
    Why has everyone got their vodka in the freezer?

I just keep mine in the press, and it never freezes...

Because it should be drank ice cold.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

I was just thinking, it would surely be potentially dangerous to drink vodka at -19 degrees.

If the glasses were also in the freezer and it didn't have a chance to warm up that would be nasty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,258 ✭✭✭✭Rabies

hefferboi wrote: »
    vodka's rotten anyway.

Get yourself a nice glass, some fresh ice cubes, a slice of lime and about 50ml of a nice vodka like Grey Goose or Belvedere.

Then do the same with Smirnoff.

Then sample the first one again and tell me how "rotten" vodka is.

I love vodka... MMMmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭jethro081

flas wrote: »
    on the poster who used smirnoff and good in the same sentence,i once had people come up to the bar to me and ask for vodka,i go to give them some grey goose,they started shouting at me to hold on,dont be giving us that cheap shyte there lad,give us the smirnoff(red label il add)...what is it with some irish people and absolute muck alcohol,for a nation that thinks we are great drinkers we generally tend to drink horrid crap!

see, thats the thing. we are great drinkers because we drink horrible crap. im working in a pub in the west end of london now, and all the office types come in and order their poxy cocktails and ten pound glasses of wine, and none of the hoors can drink for shyte. gee eyed on the smell of their stupidly expensive plonk.

it's not what you drink, it's how much you can drink without needing medical attention. :pac:

humbert wrote: »
    I was just thinking, it would surely be potentially dangerous to drink vodka at -19 degrees.

If the glasses were also in the freezer and it didn't have a chance to warm up that would be nasty.

No, it's lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭danslevent

An unopened bottle of vodka has never frozen on me but once I have opened it and put it back in the freezer it has.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Quorum wrote: »
    No, it's lovely.
    It is actually quite nice, but you wouldn't want to down a large gulp of it, you could cause burns to your insides.

Alcohol is (afaik) quite a poor conductor of heat, so sipping on a -19C glass of vodka can't do any more damage than sucking on a -19C icecube.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

Lars1916 wrote: »
    Didn't they have something on Mythbusters, where they used Vodka as anti freeze liquid?

The Vodka was watered down, for sure

The vodka was not necessarily watered down. If the vodka is average Vodka 40% alcohol, then it won't freeze.
    If however it is cheapo vodka like Vladivar or some weaker Smirnoffs (37.5%) then it will freeze.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,965 ✭✭✭✭Zulu

Folks, we do know that a bottle of vodka is NOT 100% alcohol, right? Right?
    There's water in a bottle of vodka. The water freezes, the alcohol doesn't. The liquid in your bottle now is a higher % alcohol.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭asherbassad

FFS,

It's the pecentage alcohol of the vodka that determines whether or not it freezes.
    Stop saying "I put Smirnoff in the freezer and it didn't freeze" and then someone else comes along and says "Well my bottle of Smirnoff DID freeze!".

One was Smirnoff 40%, the other was Smirnoff 37.5 %.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭sffc

It's the pecentage alcohol of the vodka that determines whether or not it freezes.

One was Smirnoff 40%, the other was Smirnoff 37.5 %.

No ... it's A COMBINATION OF:

the percentage alcohol
    AND
    the freezer temperature
    AND
    where in the freezer its placed

that will determine whether it freezes or not SIMPLE

• Closed Accounts Posts: 225 ✭✭Slurryface

Renno123 wrote: »
    hey guys, so my roommate just txt me giving out that her vodka bottle is half frozen. now the other lads had a sesh the other night while we were away. my mate reckons her vodka was watered down,.
    now i know that the freezing point of pure alcohol is well below freezing (-21oc?????) but is there anything that would freeze in a freezer that they use to make the drink itself.?
    just want to know if they could have been so sneeky, which wouldnt surprise me.
    cheers
    Since only 40% of a bottle of vodka is pure alcohol of course it will freeze in a freezer.

Zulu wrote: »
    Folks, we do know that a bottle of vodka is NOT 100% alcohol, right? Right?
    There's water in a bottle of vodka. The water freezes, the alcohol doesn't. The liquid in your bottle now is a higher % alcohol.
    WRONG ! Firstly even pure (100%) alcohol freezes if the temperature is low enough .
    Secondly if you could freeze the water in a bottle of Vodka separately it would all freeze at 0-degrees and you would be left with pure alcohol . That clearly is not what happens !
    What actually happens is it all freezes TOGETHER with the % alcohol determining the freezing point . The higher the percentage the lower the freezing point .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

sffc wrote: »
    WRONG ! Firstly even pure (100%) alcohol freezes if the temperature is low enough .
    Secondly if you could freeze the water in a bottle of Vodka separately it would all freeze at 0-degrees and you would be left with pure alcohol . That clearly is not what happens !
    What actually happens is it all freezes TOGETHER with the % alcohol determining the freezing point . The higher the percentage the lower the freezing point .

Actually either could happen, but shouldn't.
    Similarly if you heat it to a temperature between the boiling point of alcohol and water you will boil off the alcohol and be left with water (and some impurities).
    There is a chemical process whereby the two can be separated but it shouldn't happen in a conventional freezer, but this doesn't mean the vodka is counterfeit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,592 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Rabies wrote: »
    Best cold, especially if you like it neat. Saves having to add ice.

Neat vodka? Holy Jaysus. Its like drinking a combo of paint stripper and the queens piss

antodeco wrote: »
    Neat vodka? Holy Jaysus. Its like drinking a combo of paint stripper and the queens piss

As in Elizabeth or as in Brian May and the boys ?? :D

Advertisement