Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP! Flexi rent cancellation

Options
  • 17-09-2012 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭

I signed contract today with Flexirent on Harvey Norman premises on a tv worth 1749 euro. ( 749 by credit card, 1000 flexi rent)

I have unpacked tv and we have found out with my wife that 46" is too large for us and we want to get 40" instead.

I have read full t&c that I signed in the shop today, and found that after year, when my monthly payments finish I still don't own tv and i can buy it from the flexi rent company. I was mislead and never told clearly, that I'll never own tv after I fully pay back rental loan. I thought that I rent it from them until last payment, and then tv belongs to me.

Under consumer act 1995 there is a 10 days cooling off period, where I can cancel my contract without any penalty, and I want to try it out tomorrow,

but problem is that tv is unpacked.

- Can I still cancel my contract with Flexi rent if goods are unpacked?

- What can I do do change size of the tv? Seller never adviced about proper distance between couch and tv ?

Please help.

ps have you ever made an offer to flexi rent to purchase an equipment after rental term is completed? how much for what good?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Marcin_diy wrote: »
    I signed contract today with Flexirent on Harvey Norman premises on a tv worth 1749 euro. ( 749 by credit card, 1000 flexi rent)

I have unpacked tv and we have found out with my wife that 46" is too large for us and we want to get 40" instead.

I have read full t&c that I signed in the shop today, and found that after year, when my monthly payments finish I still don't own tv and i can buy it from the flexi rent company. I was mislead and never told clearly, that I'll never own tv after I fully pay back rental loan. I thought that I rent it from them until last payment, and then tv belongs to me.

Under consumer act 1995 there is a 10 days cooling off period, where I can cancel my contract without any penalty, and I want to try it out tomorrow,

- What can I do do change size of the tv? Seller never adviced about proper distance between couch and tv ?

Please help.

ps have you ever made an offer to flexi rent to purchase an equipment after rental term is completed? how much for what good?
    You signing a contract with out reading it is not in any way an excuse or an "get out of contract" clause nor is the fact the seller did not advice you on the TV size for your living room.

Now to play it smart (beyond the stupidity of going flexi rent in the first place and paying over the top five ways to Sunday) I'd go back and see if they can cancel the whole deal (unlikely). If so then buy a TV rather then try a rent scheme of any sort (and that goes for any other stuff you buy for your house as well, buy it, never rent or pay in installments). Secondly if that does not work out try to negotiate a size down in TV due to not fitting. Both cases are consumer changing their mind which you have no legal standing to demand anything so be nice and polite about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Nody wrote: »
    Marcin_diy wrote: »

Please help.

You signing a contract with out reading it is not in any way an excuse or an "get out of contract" clause nor is the fact the seller did not advice you on the TV size for your living room.

Now to play it smart (beyond the stupidity of going flexi rent in the first place and paying over the top five ways to Sunday) I'd go back and see if they can cancel the whole deal (unlikely). If so then buy a TV rather then try a rent scheme of any sort (and that goes for any other stuff you buy for your house as well, buy it, never rent or pay in installments). Secondly if that does not work out try to negotiate a size down in TV due to not fitting. Both cases are consumer changing their mind which you have no legal standing to demand anything so be nice and polite about it.

Just so that I dont make a mistake in the future; Harvey N is FULL of flexirent posters ALL OVER the IT department.
    I would have made the exact same mistake; I never would have guessed that you'd pay all that money & never own it :0
    Does this mean you're effectively renting it for the duration if the loan, pay nearly 2k, but have to hand it back at the end of the period ;0

Can you get in back in the box ?

Not reading the contract leaves you vulnerable:( did they print it out for you in full & ask you to sign it, & did they give Yiu time to read & review it or was it constant chat & distractions & being asked to sign other things/give addresses for delivery/SIM card payment/distracting chit-chat etc. Or did you sign an agreement & have to go home to download the terms & conditions online after you had signed up? That might give you an out.

I know for insurance /finance policies & door to door sales there is a restriction on pressure selling and that you can get out if a contract on the basis if a cooling off period; might be worth a trip to FLAC or a search on the citizens advise website. But you'd want to do it pretty quickly or have a good excuse ; bad food poisoning/whatever.

If the issue is really the size rather than the cost /not owning I'd go with the above posters advice. I think your rights are covered if its damaged or faulty but you might be covered under "not suitable" if it's not a special unique order or custom made for you -which as a TV it's not. Firclithes; slot if shops have the " nit suitable " policy ; nit sure about HN & TVs.

Some Screens do have a requirement for space thou that more of an old technology issue; some are distorted/brown from non-straight in angles. Read the instructions. If this is you & you wern't advised you might have a case but they probably won't sell you another telly so...

Check their website & see if they have a no-quibble returns or what their returns policy is; and work from there.

Good luck :0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

I would suggest simply paying for the TV and canceling the Flexi-rent agreement. Even credit card finance wont be as expensive as the interest they charge and you will own the TV. Then you can sell it on Adverts.ie and buy a smaller one.

I'm 90% sure that the cooling off is simply for the credit agreement and not a basis to return open goods but I'm open to correction. As other posters have said this is maybe worth a trip to your local FLAC.

OP I realise admonishment is not what you came here for, however, read contracts and take your time in weighing up the pros and cons. That flexirent scheme is not great value. A very reasonable TV could have been purchased for €749.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

The final payment to own it is usually a nominal amount of say €10. - Same with most leases such as cars etc.

Its all in the t&C's - anybody taking out any type of loan whatsoever should always read the terms and conditions. If in doubt you then ask about it.

As for going along the lines of seller never advised etc - don't be foolish. There's a phrase called "Personal Responsibility". You know the size of your livign room, the shop doesn't and unless the salesperson tried to get you to go for a 46" after you enquired about a 40", its your error not their's.

IMO a 32" is a decent size TV for all but the largest rooms.

edit - after reading up on it, flexirent is an extortionate scheme with an apr (annual interest rate) of circa 40% + no certainty of owning at end of period. This si not pointed out to the buyer, nor is it mentioned anywhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

sandin wrote: »
    The final payment to own it is usually a nominal amount of say €10. - Same with most leases such as cars etc.

Given how its phrased in the T&Cs (We may accept or reject your offer) and the retailer - I would suggest that this agreement is less benign than the type of leasing agreements you are talking about.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Looking at Flexirent, the interest rate is extortionate. Its working out at about 40% apr.

Why didn't you get Harvey Norman's "Quick Credit" - interest rate is 22.9% and you own it at the end of the period.

IMO - either you are a credit risk (these days 90% of the population is in this category accoring to banks) or the salesperson got higher commission from flexirent.

You do have a cooling down period unless they got you to sign away your right to this. - So best option is to go in ther, give TV back, get flexirent cancelled and buy a TV you can afford without the need for this extortionate scheme.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Marcin_diy

Thanks for all the replies. Lesson learned, and hopefully this thread will save somebody's money.

to make story short I contacted consumer assosiation, they quickly replied, that cooling period doesnt apply as I collected goods. I went to Harvey Norman, explained my concern, and they showed their good wil and helped me to cancel contract with flexi rent with no penalty. As I paid some money by credit card, and money went through I did not have full amount to pay for the tv to the shop. I rang my bank and they increased my visa limit straight away. As per agreement with flexi rent I will get refund in next few days.
    so all ended ok for me, and ill pay off my visa when next salary arrive, so wont have to pay interests on visa.

re tv size it is large, but not too large. it was first bad impression after change from 30''.

so be carefull and have in mind that you dont own goods after flexi rent expires.
    and dont take kids with you when you sign any contract. it is easy to be distracted.

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭Marcin_diy

sandin wrote: »
    - So best option is to go in ther, give TV back, get flexirent cancelled and buy a TV you can afford without the need for this extortionate scheme.
    I bought tv I can afford. I wanted to use finance for just over half of amount. people dont always want to spend cash even if they have enough funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tomy360

Hi,

I am looking for people who have the same problem with flexi rent, as I am 100% sure they hide some important things of contract.
    Nobody is telling you before you sign contract with them that after you pay all money back for your stuff that stuff is not yours and you have to buy it from them if you want to own that. Othervise you have to return your equipment back to shop.
    This kind of business is nothing else like clear robbery on poor people.
    Could you please share if you have the same problem with them...we can get together and help to stop businesses like that in Ireland!

Thank you for your replies!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Welcome to Boards. You could do better service by advising people to read the T & Cs before signing anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

im sorry but am i the only one that has no sympathy for somebody that signs something and doesnt read it first ?

theres no deception here christ almighty the clue is in the name flexiRENT.

What next Ive rented my house for 30 years the lease is now up and the LL says I dont own it WTF !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

@tomy360 Please explain what your consumer issue is here. Otherwise, please domt drag up old threads.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

tomy360 wrote: »
    Hi,

I am looking for people who have the same problem with flexi rent, as I am 100% sure they hide some important things of contract.
    Nobody is telling you before you sign contract with them that after you pay all money back for your stuff that stuff is not yours and you have to buy it from them if you want to own that. Othervise you have to return your equipment back to shop.
    This kind of business is nothing else like clear robbery on poor people.
    Could you please share if you have the same problem with them...we can get together and help to stop businesses like that in Ireland!

Thank you for your replies!

I thought it was pretty clear to be honest. I got it for an iPad. I knew the high interest rate and the end of term options and at the time it worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Pretty clear here - http://flexirent.ie/end.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Closing this thread as tomy360 hasn't responded to my request for further information

dudara

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement