Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

After-Life?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,400 ✭✭✭lukesmom

It's not a belief. It's the absence of one and therefore clearly not a brand of spirituality.

As the saying goes I respect a persons right to hold a belief but it doesn't mean I have to repect that belief. If someone says something ridiculous I hope I'm allowed to call bullsh*t on it and as above, telling someone else they vibrate on a higher level is simply ridiculous.

CANIS LUPUS - Since you have clearly stated that you don't have any religious or spiritual faith or beliefs then you are on the wrong thread! Please note my request in my first post when I started this thread.

' I'd hoped for a broader selection of beliefs/religions/faiths'.

So you can just hop off now to the athiest/agnostic threads and vent your non-beliefs there. And yes I do believe that those who can make contact with spirits/deceased are able to raise their frequency to a higher vibrational level. If you don't believe this then that is your own perogative. However, many people share my belief. I don't need to provide you with proof of my beliefs, just like you don't cannot provide me with proof that it is not true either. So I really hope you don't post here again.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 sammy78

I'm not a scientist, i've never had an NDE, i don't have the ability to communicate with the afterlife like some people (I've never tried to develop it either tbh), and I don't believe in organised religion but i believe that we chose to come here from a higher plane and will go back to where we came from and perhaps choose to come back if we havent learned the lessons we wanted to. Basically i would agree with alot of the posters here who have similar beliefs.

Does this mean i'm wrong because i've no evidence or scientific research to back up what i believe? I don't think so and i don't care to argue with those who believe i should have, nothing could convince me more that we live on after we physically die and to to be honest i feel so sorry for people who don't believe the same thing.

Worse case scenario i die and don't feel anything but i've lived a full life not worrying about dying like alot of people.....although i know this won't be the case, it's a very liberating feeling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Are you sure about this "conciousness" fact your posting, how is this measured, can you prove that "conciousness dies' with the brain?

There's no current scientific evidence I'm aware of that shows the existence of an afterlife and as such once brain activity ceases at time of death so the 'person' ceases. It's a pretty standard requirement in a discussion that the burden of proof is on the person making the claims in the first place. You claim there is an afterlife you need to show why this is. To roughly quote Hitchens 'that which is asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence'. I would like to know why you believe to really speak to dead people. I'm not trying to be rude but have you ever considered you might be ill? There are mental illnesses which involve hearing voices. Have you been to a doctor to dismiss this as a possibility?
    lukesmom wrote: »
    CANIS LUPUS - Since you have clearly stated that you don't have any religious or spiritual faith or beliefs then you are on the wrong thread! Please note my request in my first post when I started this thread.

' I'd hoped for a broader selection of beliefs/religions/faiths'.

So you can just hop off now to the athiest/agnostic threads and vent your non-beliefs there. And yes I do believe that those who can make contact with spirits/deceased are able to raise their frequency to a higher vibrational level. If you don't believe this then that is your own perogative. However, many people share my belief. I don't need to provide you with proof of my beliefs, just like you don't cannot provide me with proof that it is not true either. So I really hope you don't post here again.

This is a discussion site :) It can't be much fun to sit around simply agreeing with one another as that wouldn't lead to much in the way of discussion. If a mod tells me to leave this thread I'll be more than happy to comply but otherwise I'd like to be a part of the discussion :)
    sammy78 wrote: »
    I'm not a scientist, i've never had an NDE, i don't have the ability to communicate with the afterlife like some people (I've never tried to develop it either tbh), and I don't believe in organised religion but i believe that we chose to come here from a higher plane and will go back to where we came from and perhaps choose to come back if we havent learned the lessons we wanted to. Basically i would agree with alot of the posters here who have similar beliefs.

Does this mean i'm wrong because i've no evidence or scientific research to back up what i believe? I don't think so and i don't care to argue with those who believe i should have, nothing could convince me more that we live on after we physically die and to to be honest i feel so sorry for people who don't believe the same thing.

Worse case scenario i die and don't feel anything but i've lived a full life not worrying about dying like alot of people.....although i know this won't be the case, it's a very liberating feeling.

Putting aside proving your thoughts as I said a bit earlier in this thread have you put any thought into what happens after you die? Have you considered what eternity would be like as a disembodied entity? Imagine a time in your life when you've been bored because you've had nothing to do. Now increase those couple of hours to eternity. Does that sound like fun? It sounds hellish to me. Or do you think upon death you change in some way because if so then the end result is what is intrinsically *you* stills 'dies'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 99 ✭✭angelman121

I would like to know why you believe to really speak to dead people.

That was a tongue in cheek comment, dead people clearly cant talk because their dead !, I communicate with spirit because there is no death of the spirit.
    As you point out this is a discussion forum, and proof is not needed to discuss anything.
    Eternity is now, always was always will be, now is constant.
    How is it for you, I find it heavenly.

Happy Every Day

• Registered Users Posts: 36 sammy78

Putting aside proving your thoughts as I said a bit earlier in this thread have you put any thought into what happens after you die? Have you considered what eternity would be like as a disembodied entity? Imagine a time in your life when you've been bored because you've had nothing to do. Now increase those couple of hours to eternity. Does that sound like fun? It sounds hellish to me. Or do you think upon death you change in some way because if so then the end result is what is intrinsically *you* stills 'dies'.

In answer to your question about eternity, thinking of that scenario in terms of being a human would be incorrect for starters. I don't pretend to have all the answers but how we feel on earth is not how we feel when we die, there is no being bored or any other negative feelings one would associate with human life. Its about growing and learning and we can't get enough of that so bring eternity on. If you asked me would i want eternity as i am now? defo not, but i am open enough to acknowledge that in my limited conscious knowledge of this life time, this may not always be the case.
    Do i think i change when i die? i think i will default back to who i am without the negativity or the aspects of my personality that i learned from this lifetime and the environmental factors that influenced them but i think you take something from every lifetime otherwise whats the point.
    The disembodied element is an easy one for me, have you ever read about peoples experiences after an NDE? they explain how heavy their bodies felt coming back into them, and how restrictive they are. Its hard for us to understand this as we know nothing else and can't imagine it but i think i would be open to me without my physical self. Or better still, ask someone who's ravaged with arthritis or cancer, i'd bet they would be happy with that scenario....

• Advertisement

But Canis Lupus, you are being rude in suggesting that someone may have a mental illness when in fact nothing of the sort was mentioned. Only the fact that Angel can speak to Spirits was mentioned.

Your brain is not advanced enough to comprehend the possibility of eternal life in the hereafter. Unfortunately you are comparing time on Earth as a human, with eternity. I don't believe the Earthly restrictions of space and time apply in the spirit world. Therefore you would not find it 'boring' as you put it. In fact it most probably is a blissful state to exist in. To quote a line you said earlier:

"Or do you think upon death you change in some way because if so then the end result is what is intrinsically *you* stills 'dies'. "

This is fear based ego. You are so afraid that when you die you will somehow be 'different' to how you were here, as in your personality will not be the same or you will 'lose' your identity. The main thing you will lose when you die is your ego which serves no purpose in the after life and on Earth is responsible for greed, war, the destruction of many relationships etc. You should learn to prepare yourself while on Earth to be mindful of how your ego effects your way of living and relationships with others. Because when you die, your ego will be dead too and you will realise that all that ever mattered was the relationships you had with others and how you treated them. You cannot take anything else with you. That is why the body is just merely a vessel. Its the spirit that is most important and that is what carries on for eternity.

You should try opening your mind just a little more :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,296 ✭✭✭Geomy

As John Moriarty once said,"death is a departure lounge not a terminal lounge..."

Deflation of the ego ain't easy.
    I really enjoy my life and have loads of wonderful things to do,and will never fit it all in on this life....
    For someone to think a here after would be boring,I don't think it would be.
    I'd love to go on :)

That was a tongue in cheek comment, dead people clearly cant talk because their dead !, I communicate with spirit because there is no death of the spirit.
    As you point out this is a discussion forum, and proof is not needed to discuss anything.
    Eternity is now, always was always will be, now is constant.
    How is it for you, I find it heavenly.

Happy Every Day

EDIT: missed you in my original response. So what exactly does the spirit(s) say to you? Other posters here seem to suggest lots change when you die. Why are spirits interested in communing with you and giving you information? To what end?
    sammy78 wrote: »
    In answer to your question about eternity, thinking of that scenario in terms of being a human would be incorrect for starters. I don't pretend to have all the answers but how we feel on earth is not how we feel when we die, there is no being bored or any other negative feelings one would associate with human life. Its about growing and learning and we can't get enough of that so bring eternity on.

I assume you have no proof of this and it's just wilful thinking? Why should the 'afterlife' be a happy experience?
    Do i think i change when i die? i think i will default back to who i am without the negativity or the aspects of my personality that i learned from this lifetime and the environmental factors that influenced them but i think you take something from every lifetime otherwise whats the point.

But then you won't be you. You may as well be dead because what you become will be a totally different being. I don't see that as a comforting thing or something to look forwards to.
    lukesmom wrote: »
    But Canis Lupus, you are being rude in suggesting that someone may have a mental illness when in fact nothing of the sort was mentioned. Only the fact that Angel can speak to Spirits was mentioned.

I was being blunt. Perhaps politely accepting it is ignoring a real potential medical illness. Surely if someone claims that they hear voices and communicate with spirits the logical first step is to to rule out a very real and genuine illness. Hearing voices is a symptom of schizophrenia (sp?) for example. I don't understand why when given two choices, one a recognised and accepted medical illness and the other a completely unproven ability to talk to 'spirits' you'd happily accept the latter. Do you feel it could potentially be seen as gullible?
    Your brain is not advanced enough to comprehend the possibility of eternal life in the hereafter. Unfortunately you are comparing time on Earth as a human, with eternity. I don't believe the Earthly restrictions of space and time apply in the spirit world. Therefore you would not find it 'boring' as you put it. In fact it most probably is a blissful state to exist in. To quote a line you said earlier:

"Or do you think upon death you change in some way because if so then the end result is what is intrinsically *you* stills 'dies'. "

This is fear based ego. You are so afraid that when you die you will somehow be 'different' to how you were here, as in your personality will not be the same or you will 'lose' your identity. The main thing you will lose when you die is your ego which serves no purpose in the after life and on Earth is responsible for greed, war, the destruction of many relationships etc. You should learn to prepare yourself while on Earth to be mindful of how your ego effects your way of living and relationships with others. Because when you die, your ego will be dead too and you will realise that all that ever mattered was the relationships you had with others and how you treated them. You cannot take anything else with you. That is why the body is just merely a vessel. Its the spirit that is most important and that is what carries on for eternity.

You should try opening your mind just a little more :D

Do you have any shred of proof that this is the case? I notice a commonality developing here that whatever version of the afterlife is being described to me it involves it being nice and blissful. Why exactly do you think the next existence you will move onto will be as such?

Are you interested in an afterlife, or a rant that has been flogged to death on other forums ?

It seems to me you're trying to agitate posters rather than engage with them...

It's been pointed out already that there's respect for your beliefs or lack of...

But you insist on being strident.

Learn more about spirituality and come back when you're ready :S

Geomy wrote: »
    Are you interested in an afterlife, or a rant that has been flogged to death on other forums ?

It seems to me you're trying to agitate posters rather than engage with them...

It's been pointed out already that there's respect for your beliefs or lack of...

But you insist on being strident.

Learn more about spirituality and come back when you're ready :S

I'm not ranting. I'm interested. So far I've gotten some vague definitions of an afterlife and have asked questions trying to seek an understanding at how these ideas were gotten to.

Forgive me if I sound annoyed by those vague answers. At least if I ask a question in the other religious forums I can get a solid (unified) answer and the reasoning behind it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭maguffin

Another way of looking at 'Spirituality'...

The word spirituality conjures up all sorts of images and ideas. For non-Religious – or secular – people, spirituality is “an inner path enabling a person to discover the essence of his/her being…aspects of life and human experience which go beyond a purely materialist view of the world without necessarily accepting belief in a supernatural reality or divine being.”

Christians reject this idea of spirituality. They believe spirituality has something to do with intimacy with a personal creator God who exists outside of us and has revealed himself to us.

There is, however, one area in which–it seems–both Christian and secular people agree when it comes to spirituality. Spirituality for both is purely subjective and private.

Whether it’s a secular or Christian version, a spiritual person (in the minds of most modern people) is a person who focuses on “the inside of life.” Most Christians think about spirituality exclusively in terms of personal piety, internal devotion, and spiritual formation. The focus is almost entirely on individual, inward renewal and private disciplines: praying, reading the Bible, meditation, spiritual retreat, contemplation, and so on.

True spirituality, is predominately quiet–focusing on the interior of life.

I'm not ranting. I'm interested. So far I've gotten some vague definitions of an afterlife and have asked questions trying to seek an understanding at how these ideas were gotten to.

Forgive me if I sound annoyed by those vague answers. At least if I ask a question in the other religious forums I can get a solid (unified) answer and the reasoning behind it.

Nobody knows about the after life,but are creative in their beliefs about it all.

They are not really vague answers,its just you being vague about your expectations of an answer...

Dream less sleep.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 579 ✭✭✭cartell_best

This was such a brilliant thread, I watched it intently and unfortunately, I am not in a position whereas I can logon each day and enter into a conversation. The thread has been hijacked by what I can only call an element that, not through an element of "trying to understand" or an attempt to gain an intelligent and open minded insight into others thoughts, but a deliberate attack, surrounded by posts that seem to be in my opinion, nothing more than a mere attempt for someone to try to gain responses from other posters that will, in that "certain persons" mind, some kind of response that will in someway, attempt to support their reluctance or doubt to believe that there is something out there, after we pass away.

For somebody that seems to be so argumentative and from what I see, so passionate about something that they take their time to construct responses that portray a person that has taken their time to do so, so much so, that to me, makes me believe that they have some hidden belief that the only way they can dismiss that belief is to not only undermine, but try to convince themselves in their own mind by trying to make people trip over their own words that reaches a stage whereas that "certain element" can gain satisfaction. That is a sad case of affairs.

I believe in intelligent design. I believe that our thoughts, feelings, all the emotions we experience in life are to such an extent, so powerful, that when we pass away, it cannot end. Some people think such energy simply ends in a similar fashion to that of us shutting down a computer, or when it crashes, that's it! We're all familiar with the theory of evolution. A theory based on the physical progression and development of a physical being. The mind is so powerful, that some people are not open to the possibility that the mind and a lifetime of feelings is not prone to evolution in itself. How can something so powerful just die?

I can't prove an afterlife exists, neither can any single person on the planet say it doesn't. Some of the most credible scientists on the planet, past and present, agree that when the brain shuts down and the mind enters whatever state it enters, when that lifetime ends, they truly do not understand. Some people use statements such as "when we die, it is like going under anaesthetic for an operation, everything physically and emotionally shuts down and you wake up, for what seems to a person, a couple of seconds later, is similar to when we pass away". Would it be preposterous to think that a grand design is only in place when ultimately when we pass away, that it is only then that the afterlife is apparent? At that point who can or has ever been able to contradict?

I like to think myself as an intelligent person and I am open to all possibilities. Life has afforded me such opportunities. Too many things that I have experienced in my life, that I consider, do not boil down to coincidence or wishful thinking.

As such, that is my own personal belief and my own personal beliefs remain mine. However, I would not enter a conversation or intelligent conversation with any person that can be overly dismissive with another's opinion, unless I had fact and not based on my doubts, without having a constructive reason why I would have such passionate responses.

Thank you lukesmom, for creating a thread that allowed me to say the above x

This was such a brilliant thread, I watched it intently and unfortunately, I am not in a position whereas I can logon each day and enter into a conversation. The thread has been hijacked by what I can only call an element that, not through an element of "trying to understand" or an attempt to gain an intelligent and open minded insight into others thoughts, but a deliberate attack, surrounded by posts that seem to be in my opinion, nothing more than a mere attempt for someone to try to gain responses from other posters that will, in that "certain persons" mind, some kind of response that will in someway, attempt to support their reluctance or doubt to believe that there is something out there, after we pass away.

For somebody that seems to be so argumentative and from what I see, so passionate about something that they take their time to construct responses that portray a person that has taken their time to do so, so much so, that to me, makes me believe that they have some hidden belief that the only way they can dismiss that belief is to not only undermine, but try to convince themselves in their own mind by trying to make people trip over their own words that reaches a stage whereas that "certain element" can gain satisfaction. That is a sad case of affairs.

I believe in intelligent design. I believe that our thoughts, feelings, all the emotions we experience in life are to such an extent, so powerful, that when we pass away, it cannot end. Some people think such energy simply ends in a similar fashion to that of us shutting down a computer, or when it crashes, that's it! We're all familiar with the theory of evolution. A theory based on the physical progression and development of a physical being. The mind is so powerful, that some people are not open to the possibility that the mind and a lifetime of feelings is not prone to evolution in itself. How can something so powerful just die?

I can't prove an afterlife exists, neither can any single person on the planet say it doesn't. Some of the most credible scientists on the planet, past and present, agree that when the brain shuts down and the mind enters whatever state it enters, when that lifetime ends, they truly do not understand. Some people use statements such as "when we die, it is like going under anaesthetic for an operation, everything physically and emotionally shuts down and you wake up, for what seems to a person, a couple of seconds later, is similar to when we pass away". Would it be preposterous to think that a grand design is only in place when ultimately when we pass away, that it is only then that the afterlife is apparent? At that point who can or has ever been able to contradict?

I like to think myself as an intelligent person and I am open to all possibilities. Life has afforded me such opportunities. Too many things that I have experienced in my life, that I consider, do not boil down to coincidence or wishful thinking.

As such, that is my own personal belief and my own personal beliefs remain mine. However, I would not enter a conversation or intelligent conversation with any person that can be overly dismissive with another's opinion, unless I had fact and not based on my doubts, without having a constructive reason why I would have such passionate responses.

Thank you lukesmom, for creating a thread that allowed me to say the above x

You are very welcome and thank you for your post, I found it very enjoyable to read and would share your views.

From now on I won't be responding to any of Canis Lupis posts. I respect that he enjoys a debate but at the same time, I asked for opinions for people WITH beliefs. Not non-believers.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭havetoquit

In my own humble opinion, as nobody has ever returned to tell us something of what happened when their 'souls' left their mortal remains, I have a problem believing that there is anything else after death. Everything I hear to the contrary, is to me just theory, wishful thinking, imagination,.... not sure, but without solid proof means nothing to me.

It seems that there are so many conflicting theories, that one can only be left confused, unless we are brainwashed in some way into believing whatever. I often wonder where those theories originated and who was responsible.

No disrespect whatsoever to those who do believe in an after life, it is just that I do not.

It would be unbelievably wonderful if even for a split second, those of us who have lost our loved ones could be given a sign that all was well. It would give everyone such hope and obliterate the fear of the unknown.

Like one of the previous posters, I truly do believe that just like all other creatures on this planet, once we die, that is it and like her/him, I too live my life to the fullest and try to treasure every second.

I do not live with any fear of death, but simply try to live my life the best way I can.

havetoquit wrote: »
    In my own humble opinion, as nobody has ever returned to tell us something of what happened when their 'souls' left their mortal remains, I have a problem believing that there is anything else after death. Everything I hear to the contrary, is to me just theory, wishful thinking, imagination,.... not sure, but without solid proof means nothing to me.

It seems that there are so many conflicting theories, that one can only be left confused, unless we are brainwashed in some way into believing whatever. I often wonder where those theories originated and who was responsible.

No disrespect whatsoever to those who do believe in an after life, it is just that I do not.

It would be unbelievably wonderful if even for a split second, those of us who have lost our loved ones could be given a sign that all was well. It would give everyone such hope and obliterate the fear of the unknown.

Like one of the previous posters, I truly do believe that just like all other creatures on this planet, once we die, that is it and like her/him, I too live my life to the fullest and try to treasure every second.

I do not live with any fear of death, but simply try to live my life the best way I can.

No disrespect, but don't you mean nobody has ever returned to tell "ME" or "YOU", because there are those of "us" who have a different experience to you, you choose not to believe in what someone else has experienced, that's OK, but it doesn't undo that experience.
    You will only ever be able to obliterate your own fear of the unknown, not "everyone's".

Happy Every Day
    P

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭BlimpGaz

Often times I wonder how and why our souls have become entrapped on earth. It's like we've been cast away, lost or imprisoned here... because life here does seem like a struggle, like entrapment & like imprisonment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

BlimpGaz wrote: »
    Often times I wonder how and why our souls have become entrapped on earth. It's like we've been cast away, lost or imprisoned here... because life here does seem like a struggle, like entrapment & like imprisonment.

That is one way of looking at it. Another way, may be to see this life as a beautiful gift of Love where we will meet others who help us on the spiritual journey. Everything happening to you is an opportunity to learn and surrender, let go and have a better understanding of our true feelings within.

It is difficult sometimes when looking at all the negativities in peoples lives, but, bad things that happen to people usually help to strengthen their character and help them to become a better person.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 AngelLight

Diffilculties we go through in life are our lessons. I look at this existence as a school room for the soul. If everything was easy and unchallenging we'd become pretty bored and what would our soul experience learn from that? It is our personality self that sees things as difficult or bad done to us in some form or another. I was enjoying this thread so hopefully we can make comments again and Lukesmom will join us again. :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭BlimpGaz

AngelLight wrote: »
    Diffilculties we go through in life are our lessons. I look at this existence as a school room for the soul. If everything was easy and unchallenging we'd become pretty bored and what would our soul experience learn from that? It is our personality self that sees things as difficult or bad done to us in some form or another. I was enjoying this thread so hopefully we can make comments again and Lukesmom will join us again. :)

What if there is no soul? Reasonably speaking, it's looking like we're simply rats in a maze. Sure, you can get yourself out of the maze, but you're still just a rat waiting for oblivion at the end of the day.

BlimpGaz wrote: »
    What if there is no soul? Reasonably speaking, it's looking like we're simply rats in a maze. Sure, you can get yourself out of the maze, but you're still just a rat waiting for oblivion at the end of the day.

Despite all my rage I am still just a rat in a cage....

Smashing Pumpkins

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭EdenHazard

Physical is the illusion, thoughts are the reality. We have nothing to lose by believing we'll see our loved ones again. My mom and best friend moved away 3 weeks ago on Sunday, I still talk to her as if she is physically here, I'll never know until the day I reach the same faith and so if it gives me comfort I'll believe my mum is here. Thus my questions regards the Afterlife are more based on what my mum is doing right down, does she experience fun where she is, does she still have a sense of wonder about the world, does she do her own thing where she is or does she constantly follow us around(I'd say the spirit uses their better judgement)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭V123

Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlimpGaz View Post
    What if there is no soul?

(don't know how to quote on this yet!)

Wasn't there some theory and experiment done where they found the difference in weight between a body that was alive and then weighed again dead. Difference was 21 grams or something and some people concluded that this was the weight of the soul

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭maguffin

V123 wrote: »
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BlimpGaz View Post
    What if there is no soul?

(don't know how to quote on this yet!)

Wasn't there some theory and experiment done where they found the difference in weight between a body that was alive and then weighed again dead. Difference was 21 grams or something and some people concluded that this was the weight of the soul

Done a very long time ago....1901...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duncan_MacDougall_(doctor)

Modern Toxicology probably has a more rational reason for it in terms of body chemistry changes and fluid loss after death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭V123

alrite maguffin - give us some hope! :o

EdenHazard wrote: »
    Physical is the illusion, thoughts are the reality. We have nothing to lose by believing we'll see our loved ones again. My mom and best friend moved away 3 weeks ago on Sunday, I still talk to her as if she is physically here, I'll never know until the day I reach the same faith and so if it gives me comfort I'll believe my mum is here. Thus my questions regards the Afterlife are more based on what my mum is doing right down, does she experience fun where she is, does she still have a sense of wonder about the world, does she do her own thing where she is or does she constantly follow us around(I'd say the spirit uses their better judgement)

Thoughts are the creating catalyst of the illusion, without the thoughts there would be no illusion, so thoughts are NOT the reality, they seem to be the reality, but thoughts are transient and so cannot be real if they are here one second and gone the next !.
    Spirit IS the reality, and spirit is just peace and love sharing itself and expanding, and it is always there, all we have to do to access or enter it, is to put it before the illusion
    We actually do have something to lose by believing we’ll see our loved ones again, and that is an opportunity to move beyond, past or through our own illusion, because if the “physical is the illusion” as you say, well then believing we will see our loved ones (the characters from our illusion) again, is to carry the illusion beyond the death of the body.
    What I’m saying here is we have to see past our own illusion and ALL it contains, and join with spirit just ‘being’ love and peace sharing itself, and we have to do this whether we are “dead or alive” or have a body or not, this is where we 'meet' again but as a feeling of oneness and not separate bodies or entities.
    What your mum is doing depends on what she did with her time. Time is like a currency, and how you spend or invest it when you have a body dictates how you are when time runs out or is spent.
    Please don’t take this personal to just your mum, it applies to every-body. If you spent no time on your spiritual self you don’t just become SPIRIT when you die, you have to choose to be spirit and spend your time being spiritual for that to happen. So if you spend all your time building your illusion and this illusion become your life, well, that speaks for itself and so you will just go on creating either another illusion or hang around the old one. However there is another factor at work here and that is the reality that was/is going on behind the illusion, the true feelings behind the smile, the brave face or the front we put up.
    Just like when we have a body our feelings have a life of their own, our illusion can’t stop the sadness, anger, emptiness, fear and the like from rising within us, so if we have a lot of any of these or spent a lot of time in any of these states, again this speaks for itself and this is what we will continue, however when we lose the body we have less distractions or they are not as real as they used to be!.So we can keep repeating or recreating the feelings without distraction (this can be described as hell).
    The ego self lives beyond the lifetime of its container “the body” this is commonly called ‘in spirit’ or ‘the spirit world’ but it is not ‘in spirit’ or in ‘the spirit world’ it is in-between spirit and human. In order to ‘be spirit’ the ego self has to dissolve into nothingness or peace and love.
    We don’t just become “Spirit” nor have the wisdom of Spirit simply by dying! That is done simply by living it.
    However all is not lost for the dead egos, as they can and do learn and change and from my experience they are quicker at and more open to changing then the living egos! It’s the dead that have nothing to lose if and when they see through the illusion.

Happy Every Day
    P

Thoughts are the creating catalyst of the illusion, without the thoughts there would be no illusion, so thoughts are NOT the reality, they seem to be the reality, but thoughts are transient and so cannot be real if they are here one second and gone the next !.
    Spirit IS the reality, and spirit is just peace and love sharing itself and expanding, and it is always there, all we have to do to access or enter it, is to put it before the illusion
    We actually do have something to lose by believing we’ll see our loved ones again, and that is an opportunity to move beyond, past or through our own illusion, because if the “physical is the illusion” as you say, well then believing we will see our loved ones (the characters from our illusion) again, is to carry the illusion beyond the death of the body.
    What I’m saying here is we have to see past our own illusion and ALL it contains, and join with spirit just ‘being’ love and peace sharing itself, and we have to do this whether we are “dead or alive” or have a body or not, this is where we 'meet' again but as a feeling of oneness and not separate bodies or entities.
    What your mum is doing depends on what she did with her time. Time is like a currency, and how you spend or invest it when you have a body dictates how you are when time runs out or is spent.
    Please don’t take this personal to just your mum, it applies to every-body. If you spent no time on your spiritual self you don’t just become SPIRIT when you die, you have to choose to be spirit and spend your time being spiritual for that to happen. So if you spend all your time building your illusion and this illusion become your life, well, that speaks for itself and so you will just go on creating either another illusion or hang around the old one. However there is another factor at work here and that is the reality that was/is going on behind the illusion, the true feelings behind the smile, the brave face or the front we put up.
    Just like when we have a body our feelings have a life of their own, our illusion can’t stop the sadness, anger, emptiness, fear and the like from rising within us, so if we have a lot of any of these or spent a lot of time in any of these states, again this speaks for itself and this is what we will continue, however when we lose the body we have less distractions or they are not as real as they used to be!.So we can keep repeating or recreating the feelings without distraction (this can be described as hell).
    The ego self lives beyond the lifetime of its container “the body” this is commonly called ‘in spirit’ or ‘the spirit world’ but it is not ‘in spirit’ or in ‘the spirit world’ it is in-between spirit and human. In order to ‘be spirit’ the ego self has to dissolve into nothingness or peace and love.
    We don’t just become “Spirit” nor have the wisdom of Spirit simply by dying! That is done simply by living it.
    However all is not lost for the dead egos, as they can and do learn and change and from my experience they are quicker at and more open to changing then the living egos! It’s the dead that have nothing to lose if and when they see through the illusion.

Happy Every Day
    P

Is this a knowing within yourself or something you made up ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

So, the after-Life, the age old question is there or isn't there an after-life. From my current understanding, we have the human physical body, the Soul, and the Spirit.

Human physical body is the temporary vessel so we can live and experience on earth. What we need to experience and live depends on what our soul needs to learn or another way "let go of" ie anger, hatred, jealousy, sadness etc.

Our Spirit needs the Soul to help us to return to the Creator "YOGA".

When we pass on if we still have a lot of attachments to earthly things like for example we really love our house. A part of our Soul will be attached to the house, people, place or thing. Hence we have Ghost, But our main Soul and Spirit move on to continue the journey until we Surrender completely and attain YOGA.

When someone passes away, it is best that that person moves on without attaching to their Earthly family, but it can be difficult if there is so much grief around the persons passing that the close or family relations cling on and call the soul down, while the Soul itself needs to surrender that life and move on but because of their attachment to earthly relations and seeing their loved ones in pain they tend to hang around more than they should.

One thing we are guaranteed in life is Death, without fail everyone of us here will Die at some time, though it seems our emotions about death have not matured. Maybe this is due to current religions or maybe its due to fear, loss or other reasons. Either way we could have a less emotional response to death, and this could lead to a quicker evolving of our Soul. As the less we are emotional the less the ego can cling on to life changing events.

In other words from this understanding, using people like mediums etc.. can be counter productive for the soul who is being called upon to communicate with a family member, as the soul is being called upon to connect to Earth, while really they should just speedily move on and not look back at their last life.

I don't want to insult or hurt anyone's feelings with my next statement, but it is due to our grief or, our selfishness that we call upon souls to re-connect with them, while in reality we should have a deeper realization about death and what it means to us without becoming emotional.

When we experience a tragedy, there is a lot of energy surrounding the trajedy and grief and loss that it may seem Natural that the soul wants to hang around to comfort by being present, but this comes down again to the soul itself seeing all the pain and loss.

• Advertisement

Here is a muslim cleric talking about NDE'S

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gpR_jvSzQRU

From 8:40 onwards is very interesting....

Advertisement