Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is there anyone preparing for when it dose go BOOM !!

• 18-09-2012 12:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

If all out war starts in the middle east the first thing that will go wallop will be oil supply. If its serious enough it eventually will strangle transportation, movement of goods and services and worst case scenario rationing the power grid.

Preparing would be anything from downgrading to a more economical car or getting a motorbike / scooter, organizing and getting accustomed to push bikes, purchasing a generator set, (While they are available at Lidl / Aldi), decent lED flash lamps, Gerry cans for fuel, and stocking up with non perishables.

During the 70’s fuel crisis the old man had to queue for up to two hours to fill up. and sometimes being turned away if garages ran dry, some places rationed fuel to regular customers only. We were made cycle to school.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

It's OK - my tin foil hat will protect me.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 heisenburger

Someones been watching Doomsday Preppers!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,614 ✭✭✭ArtSmart

it's be a right dose when it kicks off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

If all out war starts in the middle east the first thing that will go wallop will be oil supply. If its serious enough it eventually will strangle transportation, movement of goods and services and worst case scenario rationing the power grid.

Preparing would be anything from downgrading to a more economical car or getting a motorbike / scooter, organizing and getting accustomed to push bikes, purchasing a generator set, (While they are available at Lidl / Aldi), decent lED flash lamps, Gerry cans for fuel, and stocking up with non perishables.

During the 70’s fuel crisis the old man had to queue for up to two hours to fill up. and sometimes being turned away if garages ran dry, some places rationed fuel to regular customers only. We were made cycle to school.

I suspect this forum will get a lot busier :) Great reading at the moment in there I must say.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I had an awful dose Sunday morning. Spent most of my time going BOOM!! in the bathroom.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,147 ✭✭✭PizzamanIRL

Go away with your depressing threads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭Fromthetrees

Smoke some weed bud, get some sex, relax, light a candle, read a fiction book, go to the coast and breath.

Life is grand.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

. We were made cycle to school.

Who on earth was driven to school in the '70's?!

My advice to you is to batten hatches in your parent's palatial mansion.

Fffs..."made to cycle to school".

Jesus Christ.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

in before run to da hills

• Registered Users Posts: 14 kingofthehill

We'll be okay, don't we all have those iodine tablets that were issued a few years ago stuck in the bottom of some drawer! Who needs a bunker!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,646 ✭✭✭washman3

Dont forget to take your iodine tablets...:D:D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,015 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

Apart from baked beans what other non-perishable foods should I be stocking up on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,635 ✭✭✭eth0

It's OK - my tin foil hat will protect me.

You can issue a good BER cert for the house so you wont be suffering from fuel poverty anyway. Burn a few twigs and tell yourself its A++ rated youll feel warmer straight away

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

looks like i picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

We're all going to heaven. Wayyyyy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

We'll be okay, don't we all have those iodine tablets that were issued a few years ago stuck in the bottom of some drawer! Who needs a bunker!

They went out of date long ago.:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

Apart from baked beans what other non-perishable foods should I be stocking up on?
    I'd only gotten as far as beer, prophylactics and a crossbow, hadn't thought of food!

Oh and some oil for my bicycle, don't want my chain getting rusty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭jambofc

humberklog wrote: »

Jesus Christ.

you could make a song out of that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Jesus Christ.
    At 9 years of age two miles and no cycle lanes. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

I would reckon some oil companies would surely welcome a war? ... a chance to raise the average oil drum up ten times the value or what not? .. Unless said oil company gets its oil from Syeria :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say there will be no war in the M.E.

I would reckon some oil companies would surely welcome a war? ... a chance to raise the average oil drum up ten times the value or what not? .. Unless said oil company gets its oil from Syeria :P
    The 70's fuel crisis brought of a four fold price increase.

The Oil companies would look for any excuse to jack up their prices.

It wouldn't make a difference where it comes from, they all work in cartel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭General General

I'll tell you what's prepared, my legions of battle droids, each running on chippy fat.

At 9 years of age two miles and no cycle lanes. :p

3 miles, 2 main roads, no cycle lanes either.

Rtdh...you really had little to worry about. No wonder nonsense fills your head where normal worries fill other people's brains.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Bradidup

3 miles, 2 main roads, no cycle lanes either.

Rtdh...you really had little to worry about. No wonder nonsense fills your head where normal worries fill other people's brains.
    I bet you wouldn't let your 10 year old child out on the streets on his bike after dark not alone cycle two miles to school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

am I the only one who'd want the apocalypse? like not depressing The Road stuff but like Mad Max, that'd be class.

Bradidup wrote: »
    I bet you wouldn't let your 10 year old child out on the streets on his bike after dark not alone cycle two miles to school.

My 9 year old cycles to school on her own. About 1km, not in the dark as school's not open then.

In my own primary school days I cycled in from the age of 8. In the 70's everyone did. No one was driven in. Few had cars tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

Funnily enough I was speaking to a financial adviser on Saturday and he was saying that there's no hope for the Euro and the whole this's going to go belly up any day now and we'll only find out when we turn on the radio some morning. When I asked him about what I should do about money etc. he said I should start buying up beans and guns!! It was a bit alarming tbh but i'm starting to think he may be right........:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

I'll be grand. I've got enough spice to last 50 generations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,133 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Flumps, the thinking man's marshmallows.

Run_to_da_hills, did you hear anything about the water being dumbed down by lithium to keep the masses from revolting? I've heard a few people talking about it lately and a lot of people seem to have shocking memories of late.

Any canned stuff really and batteries too, oh and water.

My 9 year old cycles to school on her own. About 1km, not in the dark as school's not open then.

In my own primary school days I cycled in from the age of 8. In the 70's everyone did. No one was driven in. Few had cars tbh.
    Winter months it would always be dark leaving the house particularly if it was raining. The school use to hand out reflective arm bands.

My older brother was knocked down by a car on the way to school, he was 11, ended up in Cappagh on traction for 3 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭SpatialPlanning

Mormons have been preparing for this for quite some time.

The school use to hand out reflective arm bands.

They could be handy in the bunker, bring them.

• Advertisement

Run_to_da_hills, did you hear anything about the water being dumbed down by lithium to keep the masses from revolting? I've heard a few people talking about it lately and a lot of people seem to have shocking memories of late.

Nothing new,

They have been using fluoride in drinking water to dumb down the masses for decades

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

Mormons have been preparing for this for quite some time.

Ill have to move to Utah.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Paddyslippers

great thread! pitty about the non believers of this actually happening! quite scary to think about the consequences.. jebas we'd be rightly frigged! :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,206 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 563 ✭✭✭Wee Willy Harris

I think Run_to_da_Hills is himself, a conspiracy.

a government ploy to brainwash us into assuming all conspiracy theories must be just as ludicrous, and to dismiss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

Jesus Christ.

My next door neighbour used to drive his daughters to primary school every morning, collect them by car at lunch, drive them back after lunch and collect them by car after school every day. They never, ever gave us a lift to school, even though we were in the same year, the stingy bastids. The school was about a 10 minute walk away and a group of us used to walk together every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,485 ✭✭✭dj jarvis

looks like i picked the wrong week to quit sniffing glue

look like someone picked this week to watch airplane !!

Advertisement