Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can RAM and SSD drives go through airport X-Ray machines safely?

Options
  • 18-09-2012 12:45am
    Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭

Title says it all. Sister is due to go through X-Ray machines in a few hours, she is carrying an SSD and RAM for me; what would be the safest thing for her to do? Are they ok to be scanned? Should she pack them in checked luggage? Notify a staff member and hope he doesn't need them X-Rayed? Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Skatedude

It's fine.
    Just think how many, many laptops, phones, tablets etc go through the xray machine each year without any issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If it was an MRI you'd have to be worried, not with an xray, only risk is cancer if you went through with your stuff.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Andy!!

ED E wrote: »
    If it was an MRI you'd have to be worried, not with an xray, only risk is cancer if you went through with your stuff.

LOL!! :D Thanks. I sent my sister through with them instead, I'm safe! :D

Cheers for the replies guys.

(Would love to see a PC go into an MRI though. With a high FPS camera recording :P)

My sister just sent the SSD and RAM in a bubble-wrap lined envelope from Ireland to South Korea; what is the likelyhood that they will arrive operational? Should I even install them? Will the SSD fail on me?

I told her to ship them boxed with lots of bubblewrap... women eh! :P

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Andy!! wrote: »
    My sister just sent the SSD and RAM in a bubble-wrap lined envelope from Ireland to South Korea; what is the likelyhood that they will arrive operational? Should I even install them? Will the SSD fail on me?

I told her to ship them boxed with lots of bubblewrap... women eh! :P

Not the ideal way of posting it by a long shot alright :p, but with no real moving parts the SSD should still have quite a good chance of surviving the ordeal, unless it got some exceptionally rough handling on the way (bad enough to damage circuit boards etc).

Presuming she didn't remove the RAM from its protective plastic container it should to be absolutely fine.

• Advertisement

marco_polo wrote: »
    Not the ideal way of posting it by a long shot alright :p, but with no real moving parts the SSD should still have quite a good chance of surviving the ordeal, unless it got some exceptionally rough handling on the way (bad enough to damage circuit boards etc).

... I'll feckin' kill her :( I'm afraid to even use it now! I know it won't damage the rest of my build but if I lose the drive I have my OS and all my steam games on I'll be pissed!! :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

ive watched a vid of linus playing basketball with an SSD on tarmac and it working fine afterwards. as long as the connectors survive, it'll be fine.

Aye, just watched those two, put my mind at rest, thanks everyone! :)

Advertisement