Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Suggestions for Self Funded Masters

Options
  • 18-09-2012 1:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Howdy all

My brother is looking at doing a research masters off his own bat as the taught ones in Ireland seem not to be worth much if you already have an undergrad. Doesn't want to leave home - so no point suggesting it (I have on many occasions) so basically his idea is to find an agreeable supervisor and propose a project - potentially one that would not incur the cost of materials etc ( thinking some modelling analysis etc) in the Environmental field

Anyone got any suggestions for industry relevant studies ( he is not an academic at heart) and would rather get proficient in some software or get some skills and get the foot in the door using that

All suggestions welcome

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Turbulent Bill

Most people who do a self-funded eng masters want to research a very particular field - they're not looking for random suggestions. Would he not investigate a research masters instead and see what might be available off-the-shelf (so to speak)? There's likely to be huge demand for scholarships for paid studentships, but even if he's paying his own way he'll have a research group for academic support.

The fees cost will dwarf any material costs etc., so I wouldn't restrict the choice to analysis-type research.

Advertisement