Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HD Webcam Advice - STREAMING?

Options
  • 18-09-2012 6:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭

Hi guys, wasn't sure whether to post this in gadgets, or broadband... I think this is the right area...

Here's what I'm looking for...

I'd like to have a live streaming webcam, but HD Quality... is this possible yet?

Are there webcams that can stream in HD?

& Does it really depend on my connection?

Lets say for example, I have a live webcam in France, and I'm viewing it online in Germany...

Which is more important, the internet speed in France, or Germany, or, Both?

Can you buffer the video, for a few minutes, so it streams better?

Can you delay the streaming, so it shows from a few hours previous?

Hope that makes sense

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭rcanpolat

bacon? wrote: »
    Hi guys, wasn't sure whether to post this in gadgets, or broadband... I think this is the right area...

Here's what I'm looking for...

I'd like to have a live streaming webcam, but HD Quality... is this possible yet?

Are there webcams that can stream in HD?

& Does it really depend on my connection?

Lets say for example, I have a live webcam in France, and I'm viewing it online in Germany...

Which is more important, the internet speed in France, or Germany, or, Both?

Can you buffer the video, for a few minutes, so it streams better?

Can you delay the streaming, so it shows from a few hours previous?

Hope that makes sense

Q: I'd like to have a live streaming webcam, but HD Quality... is this possible yet?
    A: Yes

Q: Are there webcams that can stream in HD?
    A: Yes (google search hd ip webcam) & Does it really depend on my connection? The host will need an upload speed of 10mb's (minimum) The receiver will need a speed of 10mb's (download speed) minimum. Otherwise your going to lag the video or buffer.

Q: Which is more important, the internet speed in France, or Germany, or, Both?
    A: Both are important but ideally you want the webcam hosted in france to have the best connection (10mb up) if it cant broadcast then it defeats everything

Q: Can you buffer the video, for a few minutes, so it streams better?
    A: Im sure you can, many web interfaces allow buffering but check the specs first

Q: Can you delay the streaming, so it shows from a few hours previous?
    A: This im not sure about.. you might need to install some software where it stores video for about 1 day (you will need a big hard drive) and then call it on demand from the web interface. If you are trying to detect motion then find a cam (or software) that supports motion detection. It will then only record data when it detects motion and you can call that on demand or even set up email notifications on motion detection and have it trigger all sorts of things like contacting the police, friends & family or to get real geeky have it set off an alarm and activate building lights etc. (maybe even release the hounds lol)

Advertisement