Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to get U.S. passport photos taken in the city

Options
  • 18-09-2012 8:02am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi all, I need to get my US passport renewed and they seem to be pretty strict on the requirements.

The pictures have to be 2 inches by 2 inches.

Does anyone know where i might be able to get these done?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I go to Fahy photo but also Boots does them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

If you do a search, this came up before.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,161 ✭✭✭✭ben.schlomo

second fahy foto.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

I got mine at the pharmacy next to Joyces.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

As with biko and ben.schlomo I would recommend FahyFoto.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭Seaneh

They are the same size as our passport photos I think...

I had to get photos for a visa before and they accepted the ones from the both in boots.

If you take a photo of you against a white background and then bring the memory card to a pharmacy/photoshop you can do the self service machine thing and there is a passport photo option on that which is the right size, just have to crop it on the machine to the right size.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I'd be wary of doing it yourself. It's a few years since I last travelled to the USA but there used to be pretty strict guidelines about the photo. The guy in FahyFoto that dealt with me had to take a few test shots because of glare off my glasses, the tilt of my head and I think the first one was rejected because I smiled.

There's some more info here.

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭leverarch12

Seaneh wrote: »
    They are the same size as our passport photos I think...

I had to get photos for a visa before and they accepted the ones from the both in boots.

If you take a photo of you against a white background and then bring the memory card to a pharmacy/photoshop you can do the self service machine thing and there is a passport photo option on that which is the right size, just have to crop it on the machine to the right size.

American passport photos are a lot bigger than ours

• Registered Users Posts: 8,173 ✭✭✭Wompa1

If you are planning a trip to the Embassy in person I'd just go to the pharmacy down the road from it. Every time I've got them in Galway and brought them up with me I ended up getting refused and having to leave the Embassy to go across the road to get them taken and then go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Meemars

I've gone to Fahyfoto in the past, they do a grand job, and seem to know the US requirements.
    But the last time I got my US passport renewed however, I just went to the University Pharmacy. They took my photo with their digital camera, and used the photo-printing kiosk onsite to print out 4 photos of the correct size. (you can select the dimensions exactly) I presume you can take your own photo in on a memory stick and do the same.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭planetX

Whelans pharmacy on shop st.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭bluecode

I did my own back in the day when you had to get them developed in a chemist. To be honest now any digital camera or smart phone will do the job. Just take lot of of pics. Can't see the problem myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

I had to renew my Dutch passport two weeks ago and I had 4 sets done at different places around Galway. The reason being that Dutch officials are real picky about photos too and have no problem to reject them even if it means you have to drive all the way out from Galway again (the passport applications work on an appointment basis too so you can't quickly get them redone and come back).

I had them done by Galway Camera Shop, a machine in the corbett court, the Fuji shop and Fahy photo. The machine photos I pre-rejected myself as they had way too little contrast and were super blurry.

The passport office rejected all the other ones except Fahy photos. They said on the Galway Camera Shop ones my head was too big, and the Fuji ones I had too many shadows on my face and it was too blurry.

So I would also recommend Fahy.

Advertisement