Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Europa League Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Apparently Spurs fans in Lyon tonight have been attacked by Far Right Movement. Scumbags.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Apparently Spurs fans in Lyon tonight have been attacked by Far Right Movement. Scumbags.

No, I'm sure you've got that wrong. It was definitely the Spurs fans looking for trouble again. No doubt they asked to be attacked. Just watch, uefa will get to the truth in the end...

Damn, I can't find the sarcastic smiley face on my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,744 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

from Sky Sportshttp://news.sky.com/story/1054852/spurs-fans-attacked-by-gang-in-lyon-bar

Three Tottenham fans are reported to have been taken to hospital after a group of up to 50 masked thugs attacked a bar on the eve of Spurs' game in Lyon.

Eyewitnesses said the attackers smashed doors and threw cast iron chairs, wooden objects and a flare in to the Smoking Dog pub in Lyon.
    Up to 150 Spurs fans were drinking in the bar, popular among ex-pats in the French city, ahead of tonight's Europa League match.
    It is the second time that Tottenham fans have been targeted in apparent anti-Semitic attacks in the last three months.
    In November, fans of the club, which has a traditionally strong Jewish following, were ambushed inside a pub in Rome on the eve of their game against Lazio.

Eyewitnesses inside the Smoking Dog said the thugs attacked the bar at 10.18pm on Wednesday night and then returned shortly after to launch another assault on the pub, which was damaged extensively as a result.
    The pub's landlord, Dave Eales from Retford, said: "At 10.18 the pub was rammed with Tottenham fans watching the Champions League on the television.
    "The front of the pub, which is made up of reinforced glass, was attacked by 20-25 people.
    "They threw projectiles through the windows. There was a stand off. They didn't get in to the bar. Then it calmed down. Then they came back a second time and it all started again.
    "There were three injured Tottenham fans taken away by ambulance. One of them had a head injury. I'm not sure how bad it was."
    Far-right thugs were blamed for the knife attack on Tottenham's supporters in Rome and two eye-witnesses claimed the attack could have had an anti-Semitic motive.
    One, who did not want to be named, said: "There were 50 who attacked in the first wave and 25 in the second. "It's a pretty scary thing when you're confronted by people doing Nazi salutes."
    Spurs fan Christian Radnege, who was in the bar at the time of the attack, said: "They came in making Nazi salutes. It was frightening."
    Mr Eales, 42, said he had anticipated trouble may occur and that he had told the Lyon police as much earlier this week.
    He added: "The most disappointing thing is that I spoke to the police a couple of days ago about the potential for trouble because of what people associate Tottenham being."
    A spokesman for the Foreign and Commonwealth Office said: "We are aware of reports of an attack on British nationals in France and are offering consular assistance."
    Tottenham said they were aware of reports of the attack

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Don't get caught out tomorrow lads, kick off at 6pm.

Thanks for this, was just thinking a while ago that id have a game from 8pm to 10!

tonight will be a very tough game - i think he will play our strongest team even with west ham away on monday night

We are very good away from home so 1-1 i would say

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

ade to score a hattrick lads ;)...well maybe one, fingers crossed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭Caveman1

Don't get caught out tomorrow lads, kick off at 6pm.
    Is this game on TV?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

It's on ITV4 I think. Any team news yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Anyone notice how we never had any problems in Europe until Peter Herbert and atheist Baddiel spoke out about fans reffering to Tottenham as "Yids"?

Setanta Ireland from 5:30pm
    UPC Ireland ‏@UPCIreland Tonight's Liverpool game live from 7.30pm (3e & UTV). Spurs and Chelsea games live from 5.30 and 8pm on Setanta Ireland :)#EuropaLeague

mickman wrote: »
    We are very good away from home so 1-1 i would say

Read my mind, just backed it at 6/1, and I had us 2-1 @7's last week too!;)

• Advertisement

Friedel,
    Walker, Gallas, Vertonghen, Assou-Ekotto,
    Dembele, Parker,
    Lennon, Bale, Holtby
    Adebayor

subs: Lloris, Naughton, Caulker, Dawson Livermore, Dempsey & Sigurdsson

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Gallas? Interesting choice, hopefully he performs. More than anything I hope we win but I'd love for someone other than Bale to score too!

Holtby and Adebayor to shine, COYS!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,744 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Lloris should have started. I know Friedel starts the EL games, but still. Are we taking this competition serious or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

Lloris should have started. I know Friedel starts the EL games, but still. Are we taking this competition serious or not.

Brad is a great keeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭Glebee

Christ, completely forgot about game. Now where to dump kids and wife while I find a stream.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Glebee wrote: »
    Christ, completely forgot about game. Now where to dump kids and wife while I find a stream.....

Don't banish kids and wife to the TV room out of your way just yet, It's on ITV4 :p

PogMoThoin wrote: »

Don't banish kids and wife to the TV room out of your way just yet, It's on ITV4 :p
    Itv4 blocked in the ROI for the match setanta Ireland is your only option

Itv4 blocked in the ROI for the match setanta Ireland is your only option

Not for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭Glebee

setanata for me so... get out wife, im watching football:)

• Advertisement

Holtby has been impressive so far

Fcuk, need to score now

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Shocking performance, every European game we've played has been pretty poor and very unlike Tottenham. Midfield seem only to move the ball sideways. Bale & Holtby seem the only source from which a goal will be created.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Shocking defending of the set piece, going to difficult now against a 9 man defense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Dempsey for Lennon and on to the left. Holtby & Bale can inter change between centre and right. Then we'll win it. God how we miss Sandro. Me thinks Scotty & Walker will be sold this summer. Just not up to the plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 928 ✭✭✭oppiuy

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Shocking performance, every European game we've played has been pretty poor and very unlike Tottenham. Midfield seem only to move the ball sideways. Bale & Holtby seem the only source from which a goal will be created.

I just dont see what Dembele does. Dribbles a bit, slows everything down a gets dispossesed a lot. He creates nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

We are not playing well but we will score. Only risk will be will they score again on the break before we get our away goal.

We were always likely to have to get a goal anyway...

Pretty disjointed from the midfield, particularly Dembele and Parker, Holtby is about the only positive so far, big task 2nd half, we're not inventive or direct enough!

Dempsey to score the equaliser, COYS!

oppiuy wrote: »
    I just dont see what Dembele does. Dribbles a bit, slows everything down a gets dispossesed a lot. He creates nothing

Cos he's the one staying back, Parker is going forward (sideways). With Sandro playing Dembele was the one going forward

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,013 ✭✭✭slegs

oppiuy wrote: »

I think Dembele is class. Holds the ball and usually beats at least one man. Hard to play his game tonight in a packed midfield.

Advertisement