Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Europa League Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

I was expecting a much tougher game tonight,never thought it would be so easy.Great performance from Spurs loved every minute of it....bring on the Pool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

tom1ie wrote: »
    ok so when we get to the final what pub in dublin are we all going to watch it?

I will be in Amsterdam, as have a ticket already off Uefa lottery :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

When you look at it, the probable quarter finalists will be from:
    Newcastle, Chelsea, Tottenham, Fenerbahce, Lazio, Benfica, Basel & Rubin Kazan

Makes for a cracking tournament, some better games in there than the quarter finals of the Champions League.

We could go the distance here lads:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭WHL

When you look at it, the probable quarter finalists will be from:
    Newcastle, Chelsea, Tottenham, Fenerbahce, Lazio, Benfica, Basel & Rubin Kazan

Makes for a cracking tournament, some better games in there than the quarter finals of the Champions League.

We could go the distance here lads:cool:

Looking good but a long way to go yet. i thought that I would get to the Lane tonight but it didn't happen. Shame - it was a great performance

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭Kold

I expected Bale or Lennon to be taken off after the 3rd goal. How many of Inter were regular starters?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Kold wrote: »
    I expected Bale or Lennon to be taken off after the 3rd goal. How many of Inter were regular starters?

ITV commentated from the sideline at 75mins, AVB asked both Bale and Lennon if they wanted to come off or stay on, they wanted to stay on.

Their back four and Cambiasso are regulars, and they were shown up.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Anto12

Great performance from the off last night .. Thought Siggy was super .. Inter should have scored twice ( 1 super save from Brad) .. Not often we can watch the Spurs 3 up with 20 to go ... Most enjoyable .... Hope Lennon is ok for Sunday !!! Super Yid Army !!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Some of the papers and non-Spurs fans are talking about a 'weakened' Inter team. The fact of the matter is, if we play like we played last night against a strong Liverpool team on Sunday, we should win!

Momentum!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Some of the papers and non-Spurs fans are talking about a 'weakened' Inter team. The fact of the matter is, if we play like we played last night against a strong Liverpool team on Sunday, we should win!

Momentum!

Let them, I'd rather we remain underdogs than favourites :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Any word on Lennon coming off? Was it just precautionary or is he injured?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭golfball37

Only worry from last night was the display of Holtby when he came on. He looked like he couldn't trap a bag of cement and gave the ball away everytime he got it.

Some performance though overall. Win on Sunday would be smashing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,744 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Possibly Lennon and Bale missing for the return leg - not good. 3 nil should see us through. AVB might go there and try to keep them to a 0-0. Not too worried.

Feeling alot more positive about the liverpool game now too. Goals and chances galore in the last few games so we should be able to get in behind them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Just in the bus back to the car at Dublin Airport. **** start to the day and was worried it was gonna be a **** end but what a performance.

Fair enough they had Guarin and Palacio in the bench, Samuel injured and a few others out but it's still Inter Milan and they got a hiding.

There was a bit if crowd trouble before the match between inter supporters just beside where I was sitting. But that died down before the match. They were very loud aswell until 3 mins into the game when they realized Spurs had started strongly. Once the goal came from Bale then they and pretty much **** up for the rest of the match. Could see them disgusted and hand gestures going everywhere.. Got fair abuse towards the end of the match.

On the game itself, Bales dive was opposite side from where I was so wasn't sure if it was or not. Was told it was though. Parker I thought had his best match this season. Ran everything. From being at the ground I thought Dembele coming off for Livermore changed the game. We looked flat and didn't look like having much going forward once Livermore came on. He made a couple of decent interceptions etc. but general thoughts from te crowd was that they would have wanted Carroll on and not Livermore. Dunno what people seen from watching it at home though.

Was hoping to see Holtby come on but was bitterly disappointed wit his performance. Nothing was going for him and probably his worst since joining. Defoe had plenty of chances but Jesus does he not pass and dwells on it too long. Guess it wasn't bad to see him play the full 90 after being out injured. Thought Sigurdsson was brilliant. Not sure who got man of the match but for me it would have been either Vertonghen or Parker. Bale was decent and took his goal brilliantly but thought he wasn't the best player on the pitch. Friedel was great though. Nothing to do and made excellent saves the one time it was needed.

Perfect result!

Yeah, Im not sure about Parker's performance. Yes it was much better in than recently but he still went on some mad runs, down blind alleys, trying to dribble past 2-3 players and losing it.

Livermore did well, wouldnt have any issue with him starting at anfield and he should defo start in Milan next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭yiddo59

From La Gazetta dello Sport
    Europa League, Tottenham 3-0 Inter: Spurs demolish Strama

The Nerazzurri suffer a heavy defeat at White Hart Lane, with goals from Bale, Sigurdsson and Vertonghen A body blow, even if you see it coming and you're expecting it to land, still hurts. All the odds pointed to Inter fighting an uphill battle last night and that's exactly what happened. Their 3-0 defeat at the hand of Tottenham, which more or less means they are out of the Europa League, still came as a bad blow. A blow to morale, because it reeked of inferiority and impotence. A blow to the body, because chasing the other team for ninety minutes as they had the ball and moved at twice the speed, without ever managing to keep possession, takes it out of you. A blow to hopes for the future, because team that have a project and will be winners are made like Spurs and not like the present Inter team. Their play was convincing, the terraces were packed and the atmosphere warm, they had a superstar like Bale who was surrounded by many other good players: that's Tottenham, the Inter we saw in London was a rather unconvincing group held together by plasters. Cassano, had been pardoned and given a place in the starting lineup, but he did very little to win anyone back again...........

Full report here http://english.gazzetta.it/Football/07-03-2013/europa-league-tottenham-3-0-inter-spurs-demolish-strama-92363442183.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭Glebee

Anybody here still slightly worried about Inter at home. This is Spurs we are talking about and anything is possible. I know you would expect that at 3 nil up after the first leg you would have done enough to kill off a fairly ordinary looking Inter team but you never know. Any early goal in Milan and who knows. Maybe Im just used to looking at the worst possible scenarios.
    Hopefully this great spell of form can continue and Spurs can build from it to become a force once again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

There's always a possibility, but not under AVB. Should of mauled them by a higher score line though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Glebee wrote: »
    Anybody here still slightly worried about Inter at home. This is Spurs we are talking about and anything is possible. I know you would expect that at 3 nil up after the first leg you would have done enough to kill off a fairly ordinary looking Inter team but you never know. Any early goal in Milan and who knows. Maybe Im just used to looking at the worst possible scenarios.
    Hopefully this great spell of form can continue and Spurs can build from it to become a force once again.

We need to go there as normal and push as hard as we can for an away goal, then play defensively and protect players

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭yiddo59

Cant see them getting 4 and us not scoring!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Anybody here still slightly worried about Inter at home.

I think they're the natural feelings of a Spurs fan. Based on our last two decades your feelings would be justified, though under AVB there is a solidity we haven't seen for sometime.

We won't be a truly 'big' team until all of us, to a man, don't have the jitters going in to a second leg match like we have at Inter. I feel we are the closest we have ever been to being a 'big' team. That's not just due to AVB - but the training centre, the new stadium, the quality of the youth teams, the fact we have a 'galactico' in our ranks and a very strong team around him.

People maybe cynical of Levy's intentions, but we have done nothing but progress under his stewardship. Yes he might be increasing the value of the club, but how many poor clubs have you seen win the Premier League or Champions League. I personally believe that he wants nothing more than to win the Premier League, he's just going about it the right way by building solid foundations.

COYS!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

anyone know why holtby wears 14 in the europa when 23 is his squad number?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Depp wrote: »
    23 was taken already by Carlo I think so the number 23 couldn't be used again despite Carlo being sold/let go

Depp wrote: »

Because he's German, and its considered an insult to play with a number higher than 17 in Germany*

* may not be true.

Defoe is so bloody frustrating. He should have had at least 2 goals last night, and if he's learn to place his shot rather than try to burst it all the time he'd have scored way more goals in the league than he has. Twice last night, a gentler placed shot to the side of the keeper would have more or less guaranteed a goal - instead he thumps it within easy reach. We got lucky with one of them but it's mad to think he's done so well for himself without actually being a good finisher.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Yeah, Im not sure about Parker's performance. Yes it was much better in than recently but he still went on some mad runs, down blind alleys, trying to dribble past 2-3 players and losing it.

Livermore did well, wouldnt have any issue with him starting at anfield and he should defo start in Milan next week.

Watching on TV you probably got a better idea of his performance but everyone from what I seen he ran the show. By far his best performance this season, but not that difficult.

And as I said I felt Livermore coming on Dembele coming off was no coincidence that our attacking drive had disappeared. Would have liked Carroll on and see if he could offer a killer pass to increase the advantage.

Put a bet on at the ground. Don't gamble. Found a £10 note on the ground as I walked to the ground. Lennon score first 3-1 spurs @ 100/1 oh well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

This is a Spurs team with a different mentality than the old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

SuprSi wrote: »
    Defoe is so bloody frustrating. He should have had at least 2 goals last night, and if he's learn to place his shot rather than try to burst it all the time he'd have scored way more goals in the league than he has. Twice last night, a gentler placed shot to the side of the keeper would have more or less guaranteed a goal - instead he thumps it within easy reach. We got lucky with one of them but it's mad to think he's done so well for himself without actually being a good finisher.

This is true but has ade even gotten into these positions this season ? Ade has so few shots on goal its pathetic

No you're right, it's one or the other. I don't think I've seen Ade score with a powerful shot for Spurs? He's also a relatively poor finisher. If only we had a real striker...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭Glebee

SuprSi wrote: »
    No you're right, it's one or the other. I don't think I've seen Ade score with a powerful shot for Spurs? He's also a relatively poor finisher. If only we had a real striker...

Surely this summer the number one priority has to be a proven goal scorer. With or with out bale or champions league next season without a proven striker I think we're at nothing.
    Don't want to be think ahead of return leg in Milan but is quarter final an open draw?

Advertisement