Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Europa League Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Right, Sunday is but a distant memory. 3 - 0 up with a dauting trip to the San Siro on the cards. How does AVB play this? Obviously he'd love to win it, as would we, but in my opinion this cup should not take priority over Sunday's absolutely must win game. I'd start with a strong enough team, probably similar to what we had against Liverpool, and if we can get a goal, or it looks like they're not going to score enough, get our key players (Dembele/Lennon/Parker) off to save them for Sunday.

Hopefully we can score a goal and put the tie beyond doubt as they'd have to score 5, which is probably unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

The team i would like to see is

Brad

Naughton - Caulker - Gallas - BAE

Lennon - Parker - Livermore - Siggy

Holtby

ADE

To me that team is strong enough to beat that Inter side nevermind lose 2-0 or 3-1 which would do.

I dont see any point in playing Walker, Vertz, Dembele or Defoe as they will be starting on Sunday. Also Bale, Lloris and Dawson to come back into the side.

Would love to see carroll get a proper run but maybe not to start.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,744 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

I hope we go there to see out the game and play for a 0-0. I dont care if we kick the ball into the stands for 90 mins. Just get through to the next round without injuries or too much fatigue on our main players.

It will be interesting to see how we play without lennon and Bale.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Dembele, Parker and Vertonghen should be rested anyway, and probably Walker too so pick an XI from the remaining players:

Friedel
    Naughton, Caulker, Gallas, BAE
    Livermore, Huddlestone
    Holtby, Carroll, Sigurdsson
    Defoe/Ade

Villas-Boas dismissed the idea of a juggling act ahead of the second leg in the San Siro. He is without the suspended Gareth Bale, but insists he will not rest players for the Premier League fixture with Fulham on Sunday, despite the hefty 3-0 advantage.
    “No chance. We take this game very seriously and we have a good advantage from the home game but it’s difficult versus Inter in their own stadium,” he said. “There is no scoreline that could make us change six or seven players against Inter, so we will play a strong team to make sure we go through in this competition.”

I guess we will be a seeing a full strenght team except for the suspensions and injuries.

Any word on when Lennon will be back?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Lennon has flown over as has ade.

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

Lennon and ade are over there...Dempsey on bench for sunday...

Thanks.

I wonder if he will go with Defoe and Ade upfront together seeing as Bale is missing?

Brad
    Walker Gallas Dawson/Caulker BAE
    Lennon Parker Dembele Siggy/Holtby
    Ade Defoe

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

- Fridel

Walker - Vertonghen - Gallas - Naughton.

Parker - Livermore

Siggy - Dembele - Holtby

- Defoe -

Bench

Ade
    Lennon
    Carroll
    Caulker
    Dawson

Inter Milan 2 - 1 Spurs.

Can't see us losing? I'd like to see Defoe and Ade start, both of them could do with a goal. Inter were awful at The Lane, if we hunt them down as we did in the first tie then we'll pick them apart.

• Advertisement

I think if we get a goal and make it to 55 - 60 minutes without conceding more than 2, he should look at taking some players off. It's all well and good saying that he won't be juggling the team but this is cup football, where a freak performance and result can knock you out as opposed to the league where consistency will always be an advantage.

I obviously hope we win tonight but I hope we win on Sunday more!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Team tonight
    Friedel,
    Walker, Gallas, Vertonghen, Naughton,
    Dembele, Parker, Livermore, Sigurdsson,
    Defoe & Adebayor

subs: Lloris, Caulker, Huddlestone, Assou-Ekotto, Carroll, Holtby & Lennon

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

Team tonight
    Friedel,
    Walker, Gallas, Vertonghen, Naughton,
    Dembele, Parker, Livermore, Sigurdsson,
    Defoe & Adebayor

subs: Lloris, Caulker, Huddlestone, Assou-Ekotto, Carroll, Holtby & Lennon

1314029819767.png

Forgot to say, was almost caught out myself but match is on 6pm GMT. Bit late saying I know.

^^^ happy enough. But I think its a team to stop milan scoring as much as anything.

Lennon must not be 100% just yet. I hope Dembele protects Walker as much as lennon normally does or we could be in trouble.

irishmover wrote: »
    Forgot to say, was almost caught out myself but match is on 6pm GMT. Bit late saying I know.

What!! Fuk me! And was all set to put the little one to bed and settle down in front of the telly at 8 bells.

Good job, cheers!

Yikes, 4 centre mids playing across the middle - interesting. There won't be much width to our play at all and I agree that it's a defensive line-up. I can't imagine either Ade or Defoe scoring either, so we have to hope they don't score more than 2 goals!

What!! Fuk me! And was all set to put the little one to bed and settle down in front of the telly at 8 bells.

Good job, cheers!

Aye having dinner with the family and girlfriend at 7 in the house. Planned this on the thoughts of an 8pm kick off. Oh well!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

SuprSi wrote: »
    Yikes, 4 centre mids playing across the middle - interesting. There won't be much width to our play at all and I agree that it's a defensive line-up. I can't imagine either Ade or Defoe scoring either, so we have to hope they don't score more than 2 goals!

AVB not expecting goals from Ade & defoe. I think he just wants them on the pitch so they can see what a goal looks like in the hope that any day now they will grow up and become strikers!

Pity Carroll didn't start?

• Advertisement

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    Pity Carroll didn't start?

Yeh and another start for Livermore. One of hear days Livermore is going to do something though.. I'm sure of it! Otherwise why would he be starting for Redknapp and now AVB..

Where's the yellow for that? Bale got one in the first leg..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

livermore booked for timewasting bizarre desision by the ref..

this is the same ref who apparently was posted a blind mans cane by some fans pissed off by his referreing..

Naughton all over the place at LB

Well that was a weird header.

cassano down like a ton of bricks after a gallas touch..

balls 1 nil naughton shafted at lb again

Jaysus Naughton looks like he's coked out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Need an away goal now more than ever

What is Adebayor doing?

inter hit the bar..naughton needs to defend 1st & leave going forward to the midfield..

do the basics right ya useless fecker.....

gallas & frediel all over the place there too

• Advertisement

Nothing can put into words how **** this game is at the moment. I pray we get rid of Gallas in the summer.

Advertisement