Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Europa League Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭heartofwhite

Very happy with that draw!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Who'd we get?

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭heartofwhite

Basel

Chelsea - Rubin

Newcastle - Benfica

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

SuprSi wrote: »
    Who'd we get?

basel

benfica v barcodes
    chavski v rubin
    lazio v fernabache

Oooo you'd have to say we got the easiest draw, on paper at least

• Advertisement

SuprSi wrote: »
    Oooo you'd have to say we got the easiest draw, on paper at least

are we home or away first

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Definitely a good draw. Especially with chelsea getting kazan.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Great Draw.
    Chelsea at home too, hardly both allowed play at home in Europe on the one night ??

hugo29 wrote: »
    are we home or away first

We're home first

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Most excellent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭golfball37

Basel knocked man u out of the CL last year and lest we forget Young Boys !

Who have we in the semis should we win?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

BEst draw for us out of a tough lot.phew

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

From reading on another site I see Walker will miss the home tie against Basel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

golfball37 wrote: »
    Basel knocked man u out of the CL last year and lest we forget Young Boys !

Who have we in the semis should we win?

Didn't FC Basel have a transfer embargo recently, haven't checked and only going by vague memory so could be completely wrong...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/16366160

Answered my own question!

It was really weird last night. Multiple players, Defoe and Parker being the most noticeable, were completely incapable of controlling or passing the ball. This then seems to spread to other players, even those who come off the bench. Holtby was poor and even Caulker mis-kicked/controlled a few balls too. Nobody came off the bench, with the exception of Lennon, and made any difference.

I don't know whether that means we don't have the quality to bring off the bench or whether something was affecting the whole team and regardless of who played, they'd have played ****e.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

We were excellent last night IMO with the exception of both penalty boxes. Completely controlled the middle of the park and to me we looked like a quality football team. But that means shag all unless we finish our chances and prevent the oppositions which we didnt do. Inter had 3 proper chances over the 90 minutes and scored 3 whilst we wasted ours.

Its horrifyingly good how important Vertz and Dembele have become for us so quickly.

To me Vertz last night was exceptional. Yeah he made a balls for the 2nd goal after being shipped out to left back, but dear god he was sexy as hell. Interesting to see that it was him making the calls at the back and not our captain William.

Heart attack central yes but roll on Basel! Wouldnt have it any other way as a spur

PS. call me crazy but bale wasnt missed massively

• Closed Accounts Posts: 442 ✭✭Emoran

MrKingsley wrote: »
    We were excellent last night IMO with the exception of both penalty boxes. Completely controlled the middle of the park and to me we looked like a quality football team. But that means shag all unless we finish our chances and prevent the oppositions which we didnt do. Inter had 3 proper chances over the 90 minutes and scored 3 whilst we wasted ours.

Its horrifyingly good how important Vertz and Dembele have become for us so quickly.

To me Vertz last night was exceptional. Yeah he made a balls for the 2nd goal after being shipped out to left back, but dear god he was sexy as hell. Interesting to see that it was him making the calls at the back and not our captain William.

Heart attack central yes but roll on Basel! Wouldnt have it any other way as a spur

You are crazy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Parker was rubbish, ran forward and gave the ball away

are you talking about the first leg

I think im rather sane actually. Its my opinion and thats it.

I thought we played very well and controlled the game. How many saves did Brad actually have to make? Siggy, Livermore and Dembele played really well and made the midfield ours.

We are through to the last 8 and of course we would all have liked it to be more straightforward but it wasnt. The players panicked a bit(naturally) in the last 10/15 minutes but then picked themselves up and won it in extra time.

As a one off game I would not be happy right now(due to the result) but the fact is it was played over 210 minutes and not just last night

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Please, sit tight, we have dispatched a medical team who will soon arrive at your premises. In the meantime you should put a cold damp towel around your head and stay away from sharp objects...:eek:

Did you just sneak a 'Livermore played well' into that?!

To be fair it was an awful performance by most of the players, easily the worst of the season and hopefully won't be topped but if you think they played well then that's your opinion and you're perfectly entitled to that, just like everyone!

I sincerely hope that Gallas never plays for this club again. He's 5th choice centre half but really should be 8th. Terrible player and is milking a £60k a week salary.

I actually cannot believe h was selected to be captain. AVB just like every other manager does have his share of shortcomings. Really hope he learns from this.

Jesus didnt realise that I would be completely on my own on this.

Heres what i thought of each individual.

Brad - 6/10 Didnt have a lot to do but IMO couldve stopped one of the first two goals on a good day.

Walker - 7 Not been as good as in recent weeks(barring the back pass at anfield). Solid enough game and no howlers

Gallas - 4 Very poor. Wasnt captain material and either swing your leg or dont for the third

Vertz - 9. Only a point off for the second.Could be plaing with any team in the wrld IMO. Were blessed to have him

Naughton - 6 Didnt have a massive amount to do but I thought he was decent.

Dembele - 8 Same old same old from him

Livermore - (hold onto your hats) 8 I was really impressed with him. Looked for the ball and kept it most of the time. He looks an awful look better than any of our previous 4th/5th choice mids in the past 10 years

Parker - 6 Its what we always get from him. Hes not a playmaker but hes obviously playing the way AVB is telling him to so I dont think that he cant be blamed for that. He doesnt have the quality in the final 3rd. We all no this but because we lose hes not good enough to be a spurs player all of a sudden and he becomes the scape goat

Siggy - 8. I thought he was top class. Held onto the ball so well and helped out naughton massively as well.

ADE - 6. Scored a massively important goal. If hed put in that golden chance before halftime wed all be sitting here after losing 2-1 being happy as larry.

Defoe- 4. Woeful

Brad - 6/10 Didnt have a lot to do but IMO couldve stopped one of the first two goals on a good day.

Walker - 7 Not been as good as in recent weeks(barring the back pass at anfield). Solid enough game and no howlers

Gallas - 4 Very poor. Wasnt captain material and either swing your leg or dont for the third

Vertz - 9. Only a point off for the second.Could be plaing with any team in the wrld IMO. Were blessed to have him

Livermore - (hold onto your hats) 8 I was really impressed with him. Looked for the ball and kept it most of the time. He looks an awful look better than any of our previous 4th/5th choice mids in the past 10 years

Parker - 6 Its what we always get from him. Hes not a playmaker but hes obviously playing the way AVB is telling him to so I dont think that he cant be blamed for that. He doesnt have the quality in the final 3rd. We all no this but because we lose hes not good enough to be a spurs player all of a sudden and he becomes the scape goat

Siggy - 8. I thought he was top class. Held onto the ball so well and helped out naughton massively as well.

ADE - 6. Scored a massively important goal. If hed put in that golden chance before halftime wed all be sitting here after losing 2-1 being happy as larry.

Defoe- 4. Woeful

ssshh your not allowed compliment Livermore around here :)

Your being generous with your grades for parker defoe adebayor and gallas

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I'd also give Dembele a 8.5-9, he's back to himslef again but he needs to be the one pushing forward and Parker staying back

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭gar

Lads relax.
    They stumbled to qualify, I'll take a cap result and get through. If that game had gone on for 5 more minds we would be out. Same when we played inter in the champs league, if the game had gone on for another 5 min they would have drawn or won they had inter on the ropes that much.
    This loss might be a good kick in the back side.
    Streaks have to end and I'm glad it hasn't causes spurs to be knocked out.
    I like the draw and thought we would be certain to get chelski. Playing them 3 times in 2 weeks (my dates could be wrong) would be the making and breaking of each teams season.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭nbar12

What are you smoking? Give me some!

Hatch99 wrote: »
    ssshh your not allowed compliment Liverore around here :)

Your being generous with your grades for parker defoe adebayor and gallas

You are allowed do what you like. I'll do what I like by saying he's ****e and is slowing progress of seemingly much better prospects. He's the definition of mediocracy at our club. Having players of his calibre in the ranks will do no good if we want to be a regular champions league squad. He's about as ****e as Gallas is currently.

To be fair to him he doesn't do much wrong apart from a few awful passes here and there, but he doesn't do anything right either and doesn't offer anything to the team. Last night had nothing to do with a team performance, he plays like that every time he plays.

The gap in quality between him and our regular starter in the team (Sandro) is so big it's frightening.

I respect that you and Mr. Kingsley have your own opinions which you're perfectly entitled to and in the past I might have seemed irritating to read with my negativity towards Livermore and I'll try tone down the directness in my posts but until he actually plays football at the level Spurs are supposedly heading towards I'll never ever consider him good enough.

Defoe- 4. Woeful

defoe was crap and seems to be gone off the boil at the wrong time for us, gallas is finished at the top level

livermore, i dont know how this guy is even playing, did anyone see him try to take that high ball down at anfield, fcuk me there is more control on a wet dream

i know we have dam all else but please somebody sell this guy

look we are tru, thats all that matters but lets be honest, we were lucky and need to step up a notch to get to the higher level, that means livermore, thudd, gallas need replacing, defoe and ade need to decide if they are in or out, if its in then they need to pull their fingers out, talent is there but its fcuk all good if they dont show it

rant over, feel better, now for a pint

• Advertisement

irishmover wrote: »
    I'll do what I like by saying he's ****e

:eek: calm down lad, you need your hole or something mate ;)

Advertisement