Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Europa League Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

shocking defending there!

It is very frustrating as the home team to be set up so defensively.

We need to be more positive, write that on your stupid notepad!

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭beaver111

its like watching paint dry

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

2 of those 3 disallowed goals should have been given.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

FFS.. We've dominated the game and had 2 legitimate goals disallowed.. Relax.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

All going according to plan, AVBs talent will be recognized and he'll be offered the Barca job shortly.

Even Alan Sugar now has AVB down as getting the chop ahead of rodgers and roberto.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

Bull**** from the linesman and referee tonight. How many yellow cards did Lazio get? I thought we played very well and as I said earlier Lazio seemed happy enough to get bodies behind the ball and defend, like Wolves or any of the lower PL teams. Very difficult to deal with, especially when legitimate goals are ruled out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

I'm tiring of this criticism. I was happy with the selection and mostly happy with how we played. Remember it's debut for a few players

Decent result against a good team, and we were very unlucky. Controlled large amount of the game, and just couldnt wrap it up. Some definitive positives though. Vertongen was brilliant again, and Caulker looked very good. Also really impressed with Lloris. Didn't have much to do, and bar a slight mistake near the end, he was very composed. Quick and his distribution is great.

Overall, happy enough with that, but hard to have 3 disallowed goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,153 ✭✭✭everdead.ie

Can't win when you've got no luck should of won in fairness lads we were brilliant tonight completly controlled the game from start to finish and if either of those two goals had been correctly given it would of opened the game up for us.

AVB has us on the right road just hope we have enough in the tank for the weekend!

• Advertisement

Can't win when you've got no luck should of won in fairness lads we were brilliant tonight completly controlled the game from start to finish and if either of those two goals had been correctly given it would of opened the game up for us.

AVB has us on the right road just hope we have enough in the tank for the weekend!

Yes we should have won agreed there, but we really need to play two up top at home. We have played three home games now and the lack of goals is worrying, the natives will soon become restless.

On a positive note I thought Dembele was unreal and is a class act.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    I'm tiring of this criticism. I was happy with the selection and mostly happy with how we played. Remember it's debut for a few players

In fairness, people who don't like this system should be allowed to vent aswell.

Seriously? This needed a new thread?

I get you don't like the system or manager Saab Ed, but why create a new thread to complain about a match where we got a draw against a good team, after being robbed by the officials. 2 legitimate goals disallowed. The system worked really well, and Lazio had a hard time creating any decent chances.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,744 ✭✭✭2nd Row Donkey

Still pro-avb myself but we were so blunt going forward it was painful to watch.

I miss Harry. We really were spoilt with the football we played in the last 3 seasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Saab Ed wrote: »
    I'll keep this simple.4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 and we're winning this. No need, just no need at all for this man in front of the centre back pair that AVB plays.

Once again we start a game confident and yet again the system allows the opposition to grow in confidence and push on. Honestly a good team is gonna thump us like this. No outlet up front even with all our possession. Best form of defence is attack, especially at home.

I disagree. The issue is not with the man in front of the back four. I personally think Sandro was man of the match tonight. The system doesn't work because Defoe can't hold up the ball and can't bring the wingers in to play... plus, he can't get his head on the end of crosses, so our wingers can't cross the ball.

Saying that though, on another day we would have had both disallowed goals and we would have won comfortably.

I disagree. The issue is not with the man in front of the back four. I personally think Sandro was man of the match tonight. The system doesn't work because Defoe can't hold up the ball and can't bring the wingers in to play... plus, he can't get his head on the end of crosses, so our wingers can't cross the ball.

Saying that though, on another day we would have had both disallowed goals and we would have won comfortably.

You make a good point there, we really miss Ade up there. If he persists with Defoe upfront on his own we will not score or create chances. At home I think he should go with Defoe and Ade when both are available, stick Lennon and Bale on the flanks and away you go.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Here Precious

I'll keep this simple.4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 and we're winning this. No need, just no need at all for this man in front of the centre back pair that AVB plays.

Once again we start a game confident and yet again the system allows the opposition to grow in confidence and push on. Honestly a good team is gonna thump us like this. No outlet up front even with all our possession. Best form of defence is attack, especially at home.

Jaysus i'm tired of this rubbish. Relax man we played ok tonight. Bit unlucky with the disallowed goals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Ade is injured, we do not have anyone else to put up front

Yes that is true, so begs the question why did we not buy another striker? or at least keep Kane in the squad?

KingdomYid wrote: »
    If he persists with Defoe upfront on his own we will not score or create chances. At home I think he should go with Defoe and Ade when both are available, stick Lennon and Bale on the flanks and away you go.

He's not doing it by choice. Adebayor will be first choice when he's fit and I think we will bring in a new second string 'no.9' in the Christmas window... Leandro maybe?

When we're at home we are effectively playing a 4-3-3.

• Advertisement

He's not doing it by choice. Adebayor will be first choice when he's fit and I think we will bring in a new second string 'no.9' in the Christmas window... Leandro maybe?

When we're at home we are effectively playing a 4-3-3.

Yeah hope this will be the case. One thing is for sure, Defoe cannot play in the middle of a 3 up top. I would prefer 4-4-2 at home personally. 4-4-2 worked for the last few years and the football was beautiful to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Good performance by us,crap performance from the officials.we finished the game very strong tonight,the players look very fit.

Our performances have steadily improved each match. The goals will come. Can't wait for QPR.

In fairness, a managerless team could have got an equal if not better result than that tonight such is the quality in that squad.

No real attacking pressure at home, holding mid at home against inferior opposition, centre back two not level with the the full backs and getting exposed by sitting back and not stepping up for offside, total lack of ideas in the final third and despite it being blindingly obvious that the thing to do was go on the attack, we didn't.

Alan Sugar (for what its worth) now has AVB first to go before Roberto or Rodgers. Gutter press headline I know but he ain't winning any fans anywhere except for the "give him a chance" brigade.

I really am praying this ends sooner rather than later. Ramos MK II. Fans can happily bollock me for his (in their opinion) early exit if they want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Lads, wake up, we played them off the park, 60% possession, 9:1 shots, half as many fouls...

At half time I thought it was some the best foot all I've EVER seen us play. Sandro and Dembele, Caulker and Vertonghen are all great footballers..

Defoe was ineffective, Ade would have started except for injury, Lennon couldn't hit a barn door, Bale/Walker still lacking and Dempsey obviously lacking fitness having endured a similar summer to Modric...

Also, good subs, Sigii a natural replacement for Dempsey and Townsend looking sharp...

Tell me one other thing you would have done differently?

Alan Sugar (for what its worth) now has AVB first to go before Roberto or Rodgers. Gutter press headline I know but he ain't winning any fans anywhere except for the "give him a chance" brigade.

I assume these fans you speak of are devout republicans too.... whether they be Republicans in Ireland or the US - all stupid.

Ah ffs. What was wrong with last years 4-4-1-1! As you were with siggy or dempsey in the vdv role if ade is injured. Dempsey always played as a semi striker at Fulham.

Someone earlier said that they thought Sandro was man of the match or the like. That is the most frightening comment of all in my opinion. The fact that a covering mid comes off as man of the match when we're at home to lesser opposition says it all really.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

In fairness, a managerless team could have got an equal if not better result than that tonight such is the quality in that squad.

No real attacking pressure at home, holding mid at home against inferior opposition, centre back two not level with the the full backs and getting exposed by sitting back and not stepping up for offside, total lack of ideas in the final third and despite it being blindingly obvious that the thing to do was go on the attack, we didn't.

I really am praying this ends sooner rather than later. Ramos MK II. Fans can happily bollock me for his (in their opinion) early exit if they want.

Fcuk this, I'm bowing out cos your clearly deluded....

The full backs are not only defenders, that's why we utilise a holding midfielder, take a trip to the Camp Nou! We scored one, two, maybe three legitimate goals, one from a thru ball, one from a corner, one from a cross...

Good luck to yis!

At half time I thought it was some the best foot all I've EVER seen us play.

Ah come on now, that is a very bold statement and one I can't agree with. Some of the ball we played under Redknapp in the good times was unbelievable.

• Advertisement

I assume these fans you speak of are devout republicans too.... whether they be Republicans in Ireland or the US - all stupid.

!!!!!
    Funny though :-)

Advertisement