Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Europa League Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

mickman wrote: »
    I think he is out. The injury looked very nasty and don't expect him back till August

Don't want to be pessimistic now but I think Basel will beat us and we will finish 5th in league

You could be right mate, if we manage to either get 4th or win a trophy, it'll be a minor miracle considering the form of our strikers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Hatch99 wrote: »
    I think what Leinster is saying is don't be shocked if we see a statement over the next couple of days saying he's out for the season.

I understood, I was agreeing with him, AVB's optimism is not always founded on fact.

I was just saying I hope that this time he was echoing the sentiments of the physios rather than just his own opinion.

I won't be surprised either way, it was a sickening looking twist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 533 ✭✭✭Here Precious2

I really don't know where the goals are gonna come from without Bale and Lennon in the side:(

No Sandro , Kaboul , Bale , Lennon and Defoe

Gallas I never want to see again in our jersey.

The back 4 next thursday night needs to be Lloris Walker Verts Daws and Benny. As somone said earlier on here defend for our lives and nick a goal.

I really don't know where the goals are gonna come from without Bale and Lennon in the side:(

No Sandro , Kaboul , Bale , Lennon and Defoe

Gallas I never want to see again in our jersey.

The back 4 next thursday night needs to be Lloris Verts Daws and Benny. As somone said earlier on here defend for our lives and nick a goal.

Add walker to that back 4 and your sorted

• Registered Users Posts: 6,643 ✭✭✭Glebee

I for one would love to win the Europa cup. Ok it's no comparison to the champions league but its a European trophy. Maybe it's just harking back to when cup winners cup and Eufa cup ment something in Europe and games were played knock out over two legs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,051 ✭✭✭✭event

Ormus wrote: »
    I think it's a Premiership rule, no recalls between Premiership clubs?
    irishmover wrote: »
    Pretty sure you're right but just can't find it for sure. Either way he can't be recalled which is a shame.

If a club payed a fee to get the player on loan, usually there isnt an option to recall

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Hopefully Gallas stays injured longer than two weeks. When is Kaboul back?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Hopefully Gallas stays injured longer than two weeks. When is Kaboul back?

I think he's back in training, though it's unlikely we'll see him play this season as he won't have had any match practise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,746 ✭✭✭irishmover

event wrote: »
    If a club payed a fee to get the player on loan, usually there isnt an option to recall

Yes but there may also be a rule for loaning premiership to premiership, fee or no fee. The interweb doesn't seem to be useful in this case though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭franktheplank

irishmover wrote: »
    Yes but there may also be a rule for loaning premiership to premiership, fee or no fee. The interweb doesn't seem to be useful in this case though.

I think it has to be done during a transfer window. I can't find a reference but I think it came up earlier in the season when there was talk of Chelsea wanting to recall Lukaku.

• Advertisement

Hope to fcuk Lloris starts on Thursday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Hope to fcuk Lloris starts on Thursday

I would hope too, but I think AVB will stick to his guns here regarding Friedel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

No game at the weekend so we can go all out for this,thank god we don't have to watch Gallas fannying around this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

If we win it will be a miracle, some daunting stats....:eek::eek:
    1. Bale and Defoe have scored seven of Tottenham’s 16 goals in this season’s competition.
    2. Spurs away record in Europe this season includes four draws and one defeat, but most importantly, no wins.
    3. Basel have not lost at home in Europe this year and have only conceded in front of their own fans on one occasion, in a 2-2 draw with Belgian side Genk.
    4. In all competitions, Basel have lost only once since November 25th, to Zenit St Petersburg, and that came en route to knocking the Russians out in the previous round of this competition.

Still positive?:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

We play better when we're not expected to win

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭Pure Sound

1. Spurs away record in Europe this season includes four draws and one defeat, but most importantly, no wins.
    Still positive?:D
    A 3-3 draw will do just fine :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

People get too hung up on stats, it's a one off game. The Swiss league is shíte, I'd imagine it's similar to the Scottish League. Basel me hole, go on the Spurs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭hugo29

Sugarlumps wrote: »
    People get too hung up on stats, it's a one off game. The Swiss league is shíte, I'd imagine it's similar to the Scottish League. Basel me hole, go on the Spurs.

:eek:fair play to ya sugarlumps, thats the fcuking spirit:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭jobeenfitz

Dont give a sh1te who wins loses or draws this.

I want Bale to stay at spurs for another season or more.

I want Spurs to buy one or more top class striker.

I want more top class players to want to come and play for Spurs.

If We finish 4th we have a better chance of achieving the above.

I Don't want any more of our players getting injured before the end of the season unnecessarilly.

I would love to see Spurs winning trophies and I will be shouting my head off if we get to Europa league final. I think the Priority for now is 3rd or 4th Place.

Continuing in the Europa league will lessen our chances of a top 4 finish in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭golfball37

Sugarlumps wrote: »

The Scottish champions beat Barcelona this season and Basle knocked Man U out of Europe just over 12 months ago.

I don't believe we'd achieve either of these feats, just to put it into perspective.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

jobeenfitz wrote: »
    Dont give a sh1te who wins loses or draws this.

I want Bale to stay at spurs for another season or more.

I want Spurs to buy one or more top class striker.

I want more top class players to want to come and play for Spurs.

If We finish 4th we have a better chance of achieving the above.

I Don't want any more of our players getting injured before the end of the season unnecessarilly.

I would love to see Spurs winning trophies and I will be shouting my head off if we get to Europa league final. I think the Priority for now is 3rd or 4th Place.

Continuing in the Europa league will lessen our chances of a top 4 finish in my opinion.

Yeah that's the bottom line, finishing 4th would help the club to grow a lot more than winning the Europa

Just can't imagine we have a big enough squad to do both. Would love to be wrong.

Yes there are different ways of looking at Europa league. If we win it and also get in top four everyone will then be happy but if Jan or Moussa or both got injured tomorrow and we go out of Europa league how da fcuk will we feel then?

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭tomo75

Yes there are different ways of looking at Europa league. If we win it and also get in top four everyone will then be happy but if Jan or Moussa or both got injured tomorrow and we go out of Europa league how da fcuk will we feel then?

True, but if they got injured while on international duty I'd feel 10 times worse, at least we were trying to win a trophy when they got injured.

I think we will pull thru. I think Ade will pony up a goal or two.
    COYS!!!!

tomo75 wrote: »
    True, but if they got injured while on international duty I'd feel 10 times worse, at least we were trying to win a trophy when they got injured.

I think we will pull thru. I think Ade will pony up a goal or two.
    COYS!!!!

Sorry Tomo but that is just not reality! They cant get injured on international duty as i don't think there is any internationals before season end. I don't expect you to agree with me but the above is a non-argument. I know we don't play at the week end but if we qualify for semi final then that is two extra games, 27th April and 2nd May(I think) just right in the thick of the final part of the run-in. We just Don't have a big enough Squad for that. I would love to see Spurs win trophies but we have to be realistic. I think we have to choose one or the other but would love to be proved wrong. Let Chelsea continue in the Europa so that when they meet us (prob in may) with their involvement also in FA cup they could be banjaxed. If we do qualify for CL we have to seriously improve squad or we will have bigger problems next season.

Sorry Tomo but that is just not reality! They cant get injured on international duty as i don't think there is any internationals before season end. I don't expect you to agree with me but the above is a non-argument. I know we don't play at the week end but if we qualify for semi final then that is two extra games, 27th April and 2nd May(I think) just right in the thick of the final part of the run-in. We just Don't have a big enough Squad for that. I would love to see Spurs win trophies but we have to be realistic. I think we have to choose one or the other but would love to be proved wrong. Let Chelsea continue in the Europa so that when they meet us (prob in may) with their involvement also in FA cup they could be banjaxed. If we do qualify for CL we have to seriously improve squad or we will have bigger problems next season.

Ok, I guess looking back on the thread you would prefer to finish 3rd/4th and have CL football next season - Fair enough.
    You are correct about 'injured on international duty before the season ends' but what I should have explained was had they got injured on previous international duty I would have been pissed off. Look at Bale, he was carrying a knock while away with Wales. Had he got injured then and was out for a couple of weeks, I would be well miffed.

Its 3 extra games to win the Europa (excluding tomorrows game), if players can't get their asses in gear for that and to give a good shot at eating at the top table next season then ........

For me, I would like us to win the Europa Cup & finish in the top 4, right or wrong, I believe we can still do it.

PS. I thought this 'Sorry Tomo but that is just not reality!' was aimed at this 'I think Ade will pony up a goal or two.' ;-)

Ye Ade does seem to be back in some form(thank fcuk and about time). We will need him for run-in. I agree we seriously need to improve squad if we do qualify for CL. I would gladly take top 4 at the expense of Europa league even though exit from Europa does not guarantee this. I think CL football would help the club progress more than winning the Europa league but I don't expect every other Spurs fan to agree. I also do believe it is just too much to expect to attain both at this time, given our squad and upcoming fixtures.

My dream finish to the season would be getting 3rd/4th at the expense of Chelsea while also giving them a right good humping in the Europa Final. :pac::pac::pac:

tomo75 wrote: »
    My dream finish to the season would be getting 3rd/4th at the expense of Chelsea while also giving them a right good humping in the Europa Final. :pac::pac::pac:
    I would love to see that come true.:cool:

• Advertisement

I wouldn't put it past us to come through tomorrow night tbh,there's been a couple of times in this cup that we were nearly gone out but survived to fight another day.

Advertisement