Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Europa League Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

KingdomYid wrote: »
    The frustrating thing is sending our first team out there and doing that, if it was our kids you could at least say it was experience. With the team we sent out we should have been winning and making the rest of the group easier.

This is so true. And you know that in all likelihood they would have put more effort into the 2nd half. Obviously this is another poor 2nd half, but my biggest worry is that the team has yet to play 90 minutes of good football. There have been plenty halfs where we've done well, followed by tripe. That needs to be addressed.

Also, as Leinster mentioned, AVB wants to win this competition. Where's the fight from the players? They were absolutely rubbish in the 2nd half.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Poor. Should still qualify by beating Maribor and Pana at home, and one of Maribor and Lazio away :cool:

Just hope tonight's performance doesn't result in a struggle on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

Absolutely dire performance tonight,our players just didn't bother playing in the second half.We can't keep doing this in games,something not right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Hatch99 wrote: »
    Poor. Should still qualify by beating Maribor and Pana at home, and one of Maribor and Lazio away :cool:.

Good luck with that. Maribor hammered this lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭tomo75

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Poor. Should still qualify by beating Maribor and Pana at home, and one of Maribor and Lazio away :cool:.

Good luck with that. Maribor hammered this lot.
    I prefer 3 points on Sunday and 1 point tonight as opposed to 3 points tonight and 1 on Sunday.
    I'm not too worried about the result, we still have plenty of games left to qualify.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

tomo75 wrote: »
    I prefer 3 points on Sunday and 1 point tonight as opposed to 3 points tonight and 1 on Sunday.
    I'm not too worried about the result, we still have plenty of games left to qualify.

These are not mutually exclusive, should be 3pts in both.

• Site Banned Posts: 27 Scruffy Sandra

Why did he take Lennon off? He was the only one causing any problems.

[/QUOTE]

These are not mutually exclusive, should be 3pts in both.[/Quote]

True, but we are in a transition period. I think (my opinion) that AVB will learn more about the team on results like tonight than had we won 0:1 against a team that were not at the races. This is where I think having more games is good as we have more games to get it sorted out in the EL.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

If this was your introduction to football, then it would be the last game you'd ever watch. Utter Shíte of the highest calibre.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

On that performance it will be a struggle to qualify, remember we got 10pts last year and got knocked out by PAOK.

Looking at last nights bench (and lack of rotation) its obvious we've a fairly thin squad at the moment. An injury list of Kaboul, Parker, Livermore, BAE, Naughton and Adebayor is concerning, honestly thought we'd have Parker back at this stage.

Could be a very lethargic performance on Sunday:(

• Advertisement

Could be a very lethargic performance on Sunday:(

But it shouldn't be, if we were in the champions league, we'd have played our strongest team on a wed and still had a game on a sat !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

Personally I would have preferred to see a few more of the young lads starting last night. I know AVB probably played a stronger team in order to let the lads have more time to gel in to the new system, though I think it would have been psychologically tough for the players to go from playing a massive match in front of 75,000 players to a second rate match in front of a half empty stadium. People will say 'they're professional footballers' and thus there's no excuse, but I think it could have had a major effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

I too wouldve liked to see a couple of the younger ones start but to be honest as mentioned above 3 points on sunday was always the priority for this week for me.

One other thing though. I know its only his secnd game but that ball through for the goal must surely have been lloris'???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭Dublin Spur

I actually fell asleep watching that muck last night

It would be nice to win it, but it really is such a ****e competition

just look at the thousands and thousands and thousands of empty seats on show yesterday - says it all

I actually fell asleep watching that muck last night

It would be nice to win it, but it really is such a ****e competition

just look at the thousands and thousands and thousands of empty seats on show yesterday - says it all

In fairness, Pana rarely ever fill that stadium, I think the average gate is less than 15k.

MrKingsley wrote: »
    One other thing though. I know its only his secnd game but that ball through for the goal must surely have been lloris'???

Don't think so, he was a bit rigid but Dawson was caught flat footed, very slow to react to the runner.

But it shouldn't be, if we were in the champions league, we'd have played our strongest team on a wed and still had a game on a sat !

I hear what your saying but what I mean is in one week 'the same' players will have had three games, multiple coach and two planes journeys. If we're rotating the squad fine, but we're not really. For example, Vertonghen may end up playing full back for three successive games, not ideal for him, looked very tired in the 2nd half yesterday.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

MrKingsley wrote: »

Don't think so, he was a bit rigid but Dawson was caught flat footed, very slow to react to the runner.

Dawson and Lloris should never start in the same team again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭MrKingsley

I wouldnt be putting any blame of dawson in that situation. His has nothing over the first 5 yards anyway and his only option was to take him down for a peno. I saw the goal live that it seemed that the ball was on its way to the keeper for an eternity. He seemed to be caught in two minds as he didnt even react to the snap shot when it came

Dont want to come across too critical of him but it was just such as easy goal to give away. Everyone could have done better in the lead up but i still think Lloris had a very good chance to end the attack

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭golfball37

Dawson shown up badly for the goal, he's just not up to the highest level which is a shame as he's the template I'd love for every Spurs player in terms of attitude and application.

Am seriously worried about how bad we are when we are leading btw. We were lucky against Utd and now its 3 times this year we have been pegged back by inferior opposition.

• Advertisement

from HH

Good morning.
    There was always going to be a period of bedding in, gelling, call it what you will. A new manager, new systems indeed, new players. What we were subjected to yesterday was nothing to do with any of that. It was a straightforward act of sabotage.
    Huddlestone, Dawson and Lennon are by default ‘senior players’ – believe it or don’t – and their contributions stank the place out.
    Huddlestone looked like he’d been smoking ketamine. Possibly for weeks on end. Dawson looked like he was on day release from a borstal. Lennon could quit football tomorrow and get a job in panto playing any one of the seven dwarves you might care to name. And Walker, Walker the living brain donor.
    What makes me so angry is that these guys are all better than this.
    The Europa is worth pursing. But not if you’re going to waste everyone’s time and serve up garbage like this.
    The opposition were poor. But even they couldn’t believe how generous we were and it took them a while for it to sink in that we were throwing the game.
    Maybe I’m wrong. If so then the real positive is that if you did have a punt on this due to a tip off, then at this stage there has been no official announcement of unusual betting patterns and you seem to have got away with it.
    There was no tactical breakdown, no superior opponent, rather it was an open and shut case of collective mickey taking. The stupidity of footballers is revealed every week. But this takes some beating. Did they think nobody was watchin

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭tippspur

That's good Hatch,he's not far out either.

Well, what's the outcome of Thursday's game? I'm going for an away win! Defoe to get 2!!!!

tomo75 wrote: »
    Well, what's the outcome of Thursday's game? I'm going for an away win! Defoe to get 2!!!!

Hopefully Adebayor starts and gets on the scoresheet.

Adebayor and Lloris to start, 3-1 spurs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭franktheplank

I want to see a lot more squad rotation, I know AVB wants to challenge for the Europa league but games like this we have to give youth a chance! (and ade, dawson & thudd)

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭Devo from Dublin

Maribor are flying this season...
    just checked their results.. 1 goal conceded..
    :eek:

Maribor are flying this season...
    just checked their results.. 1 goal conceded..
    :eek:

You mean 1 defeat, 7 goals conceded. They've also won back to back league titles finishing last season on +53 goal difference but it certainly ain't the toughest league in Europe;)

They were beaten home and away in this years CL qualifiers by Dinamo Zagreb.

Birmingham beat them in last years group stages, home (2-1) and away (1-0). They went on to lose five and draw one.

If we can't beat this bunch we're in bother!

Bale, Adebayor, Friedel & Dembele have not travelled to Slovenia. All will be back to face Saints.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Bodie Doyle

You mean 1 defeat, 7 goals conceded. They've also won back to back league titles finishing last season on +53 goal difference but it certainly ain't the toughest league in Europe;)

They were beaten home and away in this years CL qualifiers by Dinamo Zagreb.

Birmingham beat them in last years group stages, home (2-1) and away (1-0). They went on to lose five and draw one.

If we can't beat this bunch we're in bother!

They hammered Panathinaikos 3-0 at home. We could only manage a draw v the Greeks in our last game. Without Bale & Dembele we are very much a weakened side. Only hope we have enough to get the victory and put us back on track.

Advertisement