Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Europa League Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Me too, but the games are so unbelievably dull, especially away from home, don't think I've ever been less interested in a spurs game as I was last night.

I wouldn't disagree with you, but beggars can't be choosers...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

It's just a poorly constructed league... Uefa took a step to improve the competition and made it worse. Group I, J, K and L...? fcuk sake! Then the introduction of the best worst teams in the CL.

It's catch 22, I remember watching Athletico winning last year and the joy of all the players and fans was there for everyone to see but I was at the Braga v Porto final the previous year and it was a poor game, the fans were in full voice but the stadium wasn't even full (partly due to the royal visit)...

If it was Spurs in the final though I'd be jumping up and down with no finger nails left, its just a shame the competition is structured so poorly.

Fcuk me it's doom and gloom around here and this game can't come quick enough!

The timing of Adebayor's return couldn't be better. A good 60-70mins on Thursday night could put him in line for a start v City on Sunday. Defoe to be dropped for his prima donna antics!

Would love to see Dembele come back in so we can see the impact of him, Siggy and Adebayor together. Still no word on his fitness or Sandro's yet.

Should be a good night;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,395 ✭✭✭Hatch99

Fcuk me it's doom and gloom around here and this game can't come quick enough!

The timing of Adebayor's return couldn't be better. A good 60-70mins on Thursday night could put him in line for a start v City on Sunday. Defoe to be dropped for his prima donna antics!

Would love to see Dembele come back in so we can see the impact of him, Siggy and Adebayor together. Still no word on his fitness or Sandro's yet.

Should be a good night;)

Spot on, we don't half need a good win to get us going. This lot looked very average in the first leg, so we 'should' have the beatings of them.
    Dout Dembele will be involved, is livermore out for a while too ? He'd have been a decent replacement for Sandro.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

5-1 spurs, AVB will go bananas and play all out attack!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

They could really do with hammering this side tonight. A scrappy 1-0 aint going to breed confidence going into the City game. Several players who have stumbled need to hit the ground running.

So without Sandro and Dembele tonight will be tricky.

On that basis, I reckon:

Llloris
    Walker - Caulker - Vertz - Naughton
    Falque - Huddlestone - Carroll/Livermore - Bale
    Siggurdsson
    Adebayor

Hopefully we do the business, I'm worried about the midfield though (and for Sunday too!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,946 ✭✭✭SuprSi

I'm getting to the point where I dread seeing Huddlestone in the middle. It doesn't seem that long ago that he was an excellent, albeit lumbering midfielder. Match fitness cannot be an excuse any more as he's played very regularly so I just wonder whether he's interested, has lost the ability post-injury or if it's something else?

Unfortunately we don't have a suitable alternative so have to hope that he raises his game and that Carroll steps up too.

Huddlestone just doesn’t have the required ability to take control in the middle of the park. Flashes here and there, and the odd wonder strike.

I just don’t see him progressing at Tottenham…ever. He’d probably excel under a Moyes character.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭franktheplank

Im a bit worried we could be embarrassed in this game, they seemed a well organized side and we've been so poor lately, especially that Wigan game we hardly created a chance. Im hoping a few young players come in and give the side a bit of a gee up. Was impressed with Falque against Norwich, i'd like to see him start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Mullo76

Im a bit worried we could be embarrassed in this game, they seemed a well organized side and we've been so poor lately, especially that Wigan game we hardly created a chance. Im hoping a few young players come in and give the side a bit of a gee up. Was impressed with Falque against Norwich, i'd like to see him start.

we have to win this. couldnt care what competition it is in after the lacklustre display on saturday if the players, squad can't motivate themselves I will start worrying (even more) about our season. would be good to see Falque getting a run, I really think he should go 2 up front but know he wont.

Yeah we prob should be playing two up for these games, i don't think im against a five man midfield as long as it's fluid and attacking enough. Would you call what vdv played last year a second striker or a fifth attacking mid?

The main thing after sat and a lot of poor performances this season is that we start playing with purpose and intent. Apart from short bursts of good play we've looked timid and unsure far too often. I know we've missed big players at times but that's no excuse, whoever's playing should be performing full stop.

That said I think Ade has to start tonight. If he doesn't i think it's clear AVB just doesn't fancy him.

Lloris; Walker, Vertonghen, Dawson, Naughton; Lennon, Huddlestone, Carroll, Bale; Adebayor, Defoe

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭pancho84

Two up top or Adebayor in behind Defoe, will be interesting, glad Carroll is starting, I think I would have put in alongside Livermore and dropped Hudd to be honest

Lloris; Walker, Vertonghen, Dawson, Naughton; Lennon, Huddlestone, Carroll, Bale; Adebayor, Defoe

Yay! 2 strikers on the pitch at home, happy days! :D

The training/warm-up gear is class

pancho84 wrote: »
    Two up top or Adebayor in behind Defoe, will be interesting, glad Carroll is starting, I think I would have put in alongside Livermore and dropped Hudd to be honest

Livermore has a niggling ankle injury so probably don't wanna risk him with Sunday in mind. Hope Carroll has the confidence to get on the ball and utilise the wingmen.

2up, COYS!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭DubPerryman

The 4-4-2 tonight shows that AVB is willing to adapt. I still think he will persevere with the 4-5-1 over the coming seasons when he has a chance to fill the squad with his own players.

The last time we played Maribor the game was played at a snails pace. I think this match will be a different story altogether, and that'll suit us.

I rarely predct scores, but 4-1 to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭pancho84

weird camera angle on setanta?

Same on ITV4. It's the standard camera angle for European games and it's too low.

• Advertisement

ITV4 lad. I just checked Setanta, it's fudged up.

pancho84 wrote: »
    weird camera angle on setanta?

Yeah but at least we don't have to listen to Lou Macari!

Lad, the touch and movement of Adebayor, a different class....

Meanwhile JD struggles to understand the 1-2 concept.

We're playing we'll though, need to make it count! COYS!

Carroll doing okay, at least he's looking for the ball. Good opening 20 minutes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Defeo is having an awful game so far. Only concerned getting the ball and shooting. Ade is playing very well, as are Bale and Lennon. Totally in control, and we need a goal.

And then Defoe scores :D

Cracking goal. What a pass from Bale!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Wooooot !

Defoe scores!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Pacing Mule

Kiith wrote: »
    Defoe is having an awful game so far. Only concerned getting the ball and shooting. Ade is playing very well, as are Bale and Lennon. Totally in control, and we need a goal.

:p

(although I do agree with the post)

• Advertisement

Yiddo Yiddo! Lovely ball, tidy finish..

Advertisement