Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

League Cup Thread

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭mushykeogh

I don't know, i don't want to rush into blaming AVB, the guy deserves a chance but he seems to keep making the same mistake of putting on an extra DM and sitting back to defend a narrow lead.

I can't see why he keeps doing this even when it keeps backfiring or almost backfiring. Also i just don't see how this fits with the high line. I though his system was all about pressurizing the opposition in their half and it seems he's doing the exact opposite at critical times.

Its the AVB way unfortunately, and i cant imagine he will change anytime soon. Mourhino's Chelsea had it perfected to a fine art, and usually nicked a crucial second goal to kill the game off.

That said, by all reports it sounds like they were completely poxed to win it, thats the way it goes sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Mullo76

mushykeogh wrote: »
    Its the AVB way unfortunately, and i cant imagine he will change anytime soon. Mourhino's Chelsea had it perfected to a fine art, and usually nicked a crucial second goal to kill the game off.

That said, by all reports it sounds like they were completely poxed to win it, thats the way it goes sometimes.

He needs to cop on to this. They sat off us for the majority of game and let us play, we should have kept going and killed the game off. Whatever about maybe considering a defensive sub against a top side against sides like Norwich and especially considering the way game was going its madness. And Dempseys peno was poison, why can we never have a decent peno taker. Pick best 2 at moment and let them spend an extra 20 mins a day practicing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭golfball37

We had a decent penalty taker on the books but replaced him with Clint Dempsey.. I'm still embarrassed about that decision tbh.

What a pathetic effort, calling it a back pass is doing it too much service.

golfball37 wrote: »
    We had a decent penalty taker on the books but replaced him with Clint Dempsey.. I'm still embarrassed about that decision tbh.

What a pathetic effort, calling it a back pass is doing it too much service.
    TBH, I think most professionals, especially attacking players should be able to hit the bottom corner from 12 yards out irrespective of pressure anything else. Its like not clearing the first defender from a corner, these lads are paid crazy money to do this stuff. practice if you cant do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭Bodie Doyle

Mullo76 wrote: »
    He needs to cop on to this. They sat off us for the majority of game and let us play, we should have kept going and killed the game off. Whatever about maybe considering a defensive sub against a top side against sides like Norwich and especially considering the way game was going its madness. .

Totally agree. Why do we do the same in every game? Look at the Man u game, Southampton, Norwich in the laegue, WBA.... We take the lead look in control and then sit back for the remaioneder of the game. AVB likes to play on the break but what about killing teams off.
    Norwich had one shot from outside the box in the first half and did nothing to suggest they were going to win the game until we changed our formation. Really pissed off with AVB and his defensive/negative tactics. Prove you are a good manager and let the players show they are a decent bunch by allowing them to kill off games.

And on another note did anyone see Siggy last night? What does he do? We sold VDV and bought Siggy to replace him.Not fit to lace vdvs boots.

So friggin annoyed this morning. The cup was there to be won and we blew it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭gar

Totally agree. Why do we do the same in every game? Look at the Man u game, Southampton, Norwich in the laegue, WBA.... We take the lead look in control and then sit back for the remaioneder of the game. AVB likes to play on the break but what about killing teams off.
    Norwich had one shot from outside the box in the first half and did nothing to suggest they were going to win the game until we changed our formation. Really pissed off with AVB and his defensive/negative tactics. Prove you are a good manager and let the players show they are a decent bunch by allowing them to kill off games.

And on another note did anyone see Siggy last night? What does he do? We sold VDV and bought Siggy to replace him.Not fit to lace vdvs boots.

It was the same against Southampton.
    They dominate the game and are under no pressure then seem to lose confidence and just cant apply the necessary pressure when teams attempt to have a go at them...

this is the bit for me, people saying its only the league cup. not like we win a lot, 2 more games and you are in the final. big opp missed IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

Terrible result from us but we were also unlucky

does anyone find us really really boring at the moment ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Ok, I'm as disappointed as the next man considering Norwich played like the away team for most of the game, we should have been home and dry early on.

IMO Carroll and Siggy were both ineffective, Carroll was a spectator for most of the game. I think he brought on Vert to give a bit of strength and leadership for the last 15mins.

Our squad is fairly patched together at the moment, we're missing key players since the beginning of the season, so much so we couldn't rotate as much as Norwich last night.

3pts v Wigan and all is forgiven!

Mullo76 wrote: »
    this is the bit for me, people saying its only the league cup. not like we win a lot, 2 more games and you are in the final. big opp missed IMO

We mess up v Maribor or the Greek side and we could be out of the Europa cup also.

• Advertisement

mickman wrote: »

Yes. Whats even more frustrating is that we are actually worse at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,917 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

Bar a couple of 45 minute displays we’ve been pedestrian and lucky. The European games put me to sleep. Usually at home we thrive but not this season. We should be putting these teams to the sword.

Tottenham will never be defensibly minded, it’s all about attack, or so I thought? Somehow we find ourselves in 4th, just goes to show how poor the other teams are around us. Should be winning these games as it breeds confidence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭mickman

yeah its truly amazing that we are in 4th.

we seem to be getting results but the old 1-0 arsenal were better im afraid

Im saddened to say that i miss a match this season, it dosent really bother me. I mean i will watch all the live on sky games but i dont be running around at 3pm on a saturday to try and get a stream because its not very watchable :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭DamienKilmurray

yeah its truly amazing that we are in 4th.

we seem to be getting results but the old 1-0 arsenal were better im afraid

Im saddened to say that i miss a match this season, it dosent really bother me. I mean i will watch all the live on sky games but i dont be running around at 3pm on a saturday to try and get a stream because its not very watchable :-(

The only reason that we are in 4th is that we`ve been lucky so far, and your dead right we are boring to watch. If you look back at our Home fixtures this season
    West Brom: 1-1 Draw. We were terrible
    Norwich: 1-1 Draw. We were played off the park
    QPR: Won 2-1. We were lucky again. We were played off the park too.
    Aston Villa: Won 2-0. Villa were totally useless that day, never turned up.
    Chelsea: Lost 4-2. Granted we were missing a few but they showed us how this 4-2-3-1 system should be played.

We have loads of possession in games but have no cutting edge and look clueless going forward. We don`t have the right quality of players to play this system. Look at the Chavs team that played against us in White Hart Lane. They had Hazard, Mata and Oscar playing in behind Torres. There technique, Intelligence and movement was superb.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭tomo75

They had Hazard, Mata and Oscar playing in behind Torres. There technique, Intelligence and movement was superb.

Agreed, but - there's always a but- the wages these guys are been paid are well outside our structure. You get what you pay for. Yeah, we are 4th, lucky - yes, but I still accept it. We could kick on to something great this season (penny drops with the players as to formation/roles) but are never gonna win the League with this squad. Pissed off about last night but we were unlucky. Will wait to see how the season unfolds............

tomo75 wrote: »

Agreed, but - there's always a but- the wages these guys are been paid are well outside our structure. You get what you pay for. Yeah, we are 4th, lucky - yes, but I still accept it. We could kick on to something great this season (penny drops with the players as to formation/roles) but are never gonna win the League with this squad. Pissed off about last night but we were unlucky. Will wait to see how the season unfolds............

I think the penny has to drop with AVB that this negative system is not working. Defoe cannot play the lone striker, Siggy and Dempsey are not good enough to play in the three behind the striker at the moment. They`ve both been very poor since they arrived. I would go 4-4-2 with a midfield of Bale Dembele Sandro Lennon. Ade and Defoe up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭tomo75

I think the penny has to drop with AVB that this negative system is not working. Defoe cannot play the lone striker, Siggy and Dempsey are not good enough to play in the three behind the striker at the moment. They`ve both been very poor since they arrived. I would go 4-4-2 with a midfield of Bale Dembele Sandro Lennon. Ade and Defoe up front.

Ok agree on that point but if AVB had a full deck of players, I think the 4-4-2 would be an option. Also, IMO if Levy got Mounitio(spelling) as AVB requested, I think the system we are currently playing would work better (with Dembele fit to partner Mounitio).

Anyway, 3points against Wigan (whether we batter them 8:0 or 1:0) is the key objective this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭KingdomYid

This. I have been saying this since August, things are far from rosey in the garden.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Leinstersqspur

Ok agree on that point but if AVB had a full deck of players, I think the 4-4-2 would be an option. Also, IMO if Levy got Mounitio(spelling) as AVB requested, I think the system we are currently playing would work better (with Dembele fit to partner Mounitio).

This is what its all about for me, fair enough we've had some poor performances nobody can dispute that but they've mostly been when Dembele (and Adeabyor) hasn't played. Our squad is thin and AVB is trying hard to push square pegs into round holes.

If HR had played 4-5-1 with JD up front we'd be screaming blue murder. AVB has had no choice.

IMHO we need more than Moutinho to play this system. It was successful for AVB with Porto because he had the technical players to play this system. All clever players who are comfortable and excellent on the ball. He used Joao Moutinho, Fernando Bellushi and Fernando as his 3. He had Hulk and Varela both in behind Radamel Falcao who in my opinion is currently the worlds best striker.
    As I said in an earlier post, the Chavs can play this system well because of the players they have got. We can`t because we don`t have that quality of players in the attacking third.
    I feel our squad is better suited for a change in formation with 2 up front, but I can`t see it happening.

• Advertisement
Advertisement