Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accommodation/things to do in Perth

Options
  • 18-09-2012 8:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭

Hi all,
    So I'll be in Perth by the end of october on a 457 visa. I know no one out there and have to start hunting for accommodation, work will be sorting somewhere for the first 4 weeks. I was wondering what would be the best way if finding a house/flat share in Perth. I hear the Irish are having a hard time finding accommodation at the minute. Is this actually true? What are your experiences. I wouldn't mind living with Irish over there but definitely not backpackers, I did that 7 years myself. I'd be looking for a share with people who are social but career focused. What do some people do to unwind in Perth that doesnt involve hitting Northbridge ( done that too). Sorry for babbling on. I'm nearly 30 by the way If that helps in anyway.
    Regards Niall

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 JC Donegal

Scrappylad wrote: »
    Hi all,
    So I'll be in Perth by the end of october on a 457 visa. I know no one out there and have to start hunting for accommodation, work will be sorting somewhere for the first 4 weeks. I was wondering what would be the best way if finding a house/flat share in Perth. I hear the Irish are having a hard time finding accommodation at the minute. Is this actually true? What are your experiences. I wouldn't mind living with Irish over there but definitely not backpackers, I did that 7 years myself. I'd be looking for a share with people who are social but career focused. What do some people do to unwind in Perth that doesnt involve hitting Northbridge ( done that too). Sorry for babbling on. I'm nearly 30 by the way If that helps in anyway.
    Regards Niall

looking something similer myself,looking a few sites but alot are very expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭Scrappylad

Bump!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Esse85

Gumtree would be your best bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Yeah Gumtree is the way to go, especially if you don't have rental history here.

Sounds like you want to house share anyway so it's your best bet. Have you any area or ammenity requirements in mind?

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Yeah Gumtree is the way to go, especially if you don't have rental history here.

Sounds like you want to house share anyway so it's your best bet. Have you any area or ammenity requirements in mind?
    Hi thanks for the reply,
    I wouldn't be too picky amenity wise. Just. Close enough to public transport and within 10/15 miles of Bentley so I could cycle to work in the mornings would be a plus.

• Advertisement

I also have some rental history in the gold coast. I had a room let in a house. I had a room let in brisbane too. I still am in contact with the girl I let the room off on the gold coast and she'd give a reference. What kind of history do they look for? It was 6/7 years ago mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

I dunno about perth, But I got the first house I went for in here Australind (about 2hrs south of Perth). I got a reference from an estate agent in Ireland before coming over.

Yeah, my references would be phone references. No official paperwork as it was just a room I was renting I wasn't the lease holder. I was wondering if that would be any good.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

should still be able to get a letter from the lease holder to say that you sublet a room from them, wouldn't be as official as one from an estate agent but it would count and they have someone to ring, they rang my estate agent in Ireland for verification.
    Also add some personal references in Australia, they mainly want to be able to ring someone in Australia that can vouch for you on a personal basis.

Advertisement