Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Separate bike licence

• 18-09-2012 8:55am

Allrite lads,
    Passed my test there and was wondering if when applying for my full Licence I should send in my Learner permit and my full car one or can I send in just the learner permit and keep the car one separate.
    Just handerer keeping one in the car and one in my bike jacket I reckon.

Would I have two different licence numbers if I did or is it linked to pps number?

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

You can keep them separate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭ratracer

Are you sure about that? I didn't think you could have two separate licences. You can get a copy of your licence. While it would be handy to have two different ones to keep the penalty points separate i'm pretty sure the car licence will need to be sent in with the provisional licence and the test cert.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Spudmonkey

ratracer wrote: »
    Are you sure about that? I didn't think you could have two separate licences. You can get a copy of your licence. While it would be handy to have two different ones to keep the penalty points separate i'm pretty sure the car licence will need to be sent in with the provisional licence and the test cert.

You can keep them separate. Although you have to pay for the second license. It costs nothing to add the bike license to the old one.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,782 ✭✭✭P.C.

ratracer wrote: »

You only get one licence.
    You have one driver number, and all your driving entitlements are linked to that number.
    You are not allowed to hold two separate licences at the same time.
    Your one licence will list the categories of vehicles for which the licence is valid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

You cant have two totally seperate licences that are individual from one another, but you can have two seperate copies so you can keep the bike one in your bike jacket and the car in the car, instead of chopping and changing all the time.

Do what I did, go into the tax office say you lost your car licence and pay the €10 for a seperate one. SORTED!

• Advertisement

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    :rolleyes:

Do what I did, go into the tax office say you lost your car licence and pay the €10 for a seperate one. SORTED!

Your old 'lost' licence will then be invalid.
    Each licence has a 'stock number' on it. If you report it lost or stolen, then that licence with that 'stock number' is cancelled.
    You might get away with it on the side of the road, but if any checks are done, it will be found that the licence is invalid.

Fook it,
    Im going to try for one with a different number :)

sure nothing to loose

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Himself had a separate car and bike licence up to a couple of years ago. I don't know the ins and outs of the numbers etc. but it is possible. He then lost his wallet and had to have both replaced and decided to just go with one licence because he never drives the car anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Pataman

From january on we should have the new credit card licence. So there will be no excuse not to carry it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,306 ✭✭✭ratracer

urbanledge wrote: »
    Fook it,
    Im going to try for one with a different number :)

sure nothing to loose

Why would you need a separate licence with a separate number?

• Advertisement

So I can take points separate ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 896 ✭✭✭blu3r0ri0n

Make sure to take a picture/photocopy of the license before you send it off as I have heard of incidents where they have screwed up and caused allot of pain!

urbanledge wrote: »
    So I can take points separate ;)

Good luck with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,619 ✭✭✭prunudo

blu3r0ri0n wrote: »
    Make sure to take a picture/photocopy of the license before you send it off as I have heard of incidents where they have screwed up and caused allot of pain!

Yep, this is a good idea. They messed my learner permit when I handed in after passing the bike test. Dates were different for the other categories. Nothing I could do as I had no proof.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

P.C. wrote: »
    Each licence has a 'stock number' on it. If you report it lost or stolen, then that licence with that 'stock number' is cancelled.
    You might get away with it on the side of the road, but if any checks are done, it will be found that the licence is invalid.

NO. That is not the case....

Both are valid for the period until they EXPIRE. Then you only get one issued on the renew date, just because you have a copy of a licence does not make the other one invalid.

It was specifically said to me when I was getting the copy that it will only last the term of the original not an extended period. Luckily I had just got the other about a year ago.

P.C. wrote: »

Both are valid for the period until they EXPIRE. Then you only get one issued on the renew date, just because you have a copy of a licence does not make the other one invalid.

It was specifically said to me when I was getting the copy that it will only last the term of the original not an extended period. Luckily I had just got the other about a year ago.

It is the case. The 'lost' one is cancelled. The new one is indeed only valid for the same amount of time as the old one was.

It is almost the same as a passport. You can't have two valid passports.
    If you lose one, and apply for a new one, the new one will only be valid for the same period as the old one. If you find the old one, you can't use it, as it is cancelled. You might get away with it in some places, but you could have a lot of explaining to do if you are caught out traveling on a cancelled passport.

Did you fill out a form, or sign anything when you applied for a replacement licence?

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭skapegoat

Just remember that your restriction does not start to count down until your licence is processed!

It does not count down from the date of the test. So if you wait 3months to process it you will be restricted for those 3 months plus the restricted 2years!

So get it sorted ASAP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 994 ✭✭✭LookBehindYou

skapegoat wrote: »
    Just remember that your restriction does not start to count down until your licence is processed!

It does not count down from the date of the test. So if you wait 3months to process it you will be restricted for those 3 months plus the restricted 2years!

So get it sorted ASAP.

Countdown starts from the time you apply for your full A lic in the motor tax office. It will be dated from that day. You may not recieve it that day because it takes time to process it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,619 ✭✭✭prunudo

skapegoat wrote: »

So get it sorted ASAP.

Countdown starts from the time you apply for your full A lic in the motor tax office. It will be dated from that day. You may not recieve it that day because it takes time to process it.

Not in Wicklow tax office it doesn't anyway. It was dated from the day they processed it, nearly 2weeks after the date that I had been in with them!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement