Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pitch Invasion - What you think of it?

• 18-09-2012 9:00am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 482 ✭✭

Since the GAA have come out and ruled out the possibility of Donegal and Mayo fans invading the pitch after the final, what do people think of them taking this stance? Is there not the fear of the inevitable crush of people wanting to do what has traditionally been done for years and not to my knowledge (I stand to be corrected) cause any serious injury to anyone....or are tey tryig to go done the line of football matches in England and keep everyone in the stands for the trophy presetnations?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

It's safer, and ultimately more enjoyable for the fans as they all get to see the lap of honour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭cormac halpin

Pitch invasions are dangerous and reckless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭iDave

There always talking about the cost of insurance because of invasions yet can anyone cite an example of an injury taking place during a pitch invasion?

iDave wrote: »
    There always talking about the cost of insurance because of invasions yet can anyone cite an example of an injury taking place during a pitch invasion?
    Yes, Colm Cooper was struck by a fan once during an invasion.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

The health and safety guff being trotted out again, when really what is behind it is further monetising of a GAA event. This is being done for a clean focused advertising oppurtunity. The sponsors are probably insisting on it. Tradition means nothing to the GAA anymore, the bottom line is the accounts.

Yes, Colm Cooper was struck by a fan once during an invasion.

I meant fans getting injured but now that you mention it did that incident lead to an injury or a claim.

I meant fans getting injured but now that you mention it did that incident lead to an injury or a claim.
    No, and thank God for that, the GAA have been very lucky so far. But I do like your way of doing things, lets wait for someone to die before we change the laws, it worked very well with the English FA and Hillsborough I guess.

No, and thank God for that, the GAA have been very lucky so far. But I do like your way of doing things, lets wait for someone to die before we change the laws, it worked very well with the English FA and Hillsborough I guess.

No need for dramatics only asking you a question

No need for dramatics only asking you a question
    No, you make a very good point, cure is far better than prevention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

Equating pitch invasion to Hillsborough? Really? That's like someone calling you Hitler for wanting the rules in place. Doesn't help anything.

I'd bet running onto the field is less dangerous than driving or going for a swim. It doesn't mean there isn't an argument against it. But if simply the threat of injury was enough to ban something, we'd all be watching the game alone in padded rooms. Maybe we should ban sports altogether because someone might have a heart attack while watching.

I say let em go.

RGM wrote: »
    Equating pitch invasion to Hillsborough? Really? That's like someone calling you Hitler for wanting the rules in place. Doesn't help anything.

I'd bet running onto the field is less dangerous than driving or going for a swim. It doesn't mean there isn't an argument against it. But if simply the threat of injury was enough to ban something, we'd all be watching the game alone in padded rooms. Maybe we should ban sports altogether because someone might have a heart attack while watching.

I say let em go.
    I didnt equate the act, I equated the belief that cure is better than prevention. I'd appreciate it if you didn't try to twist my words. Thank you.

Feel free to let them go, when someone does get seriously injured, or worse, then see how you feel about "letting them go". Your outlook is abhorrent to me.

buck65 wrote: »
    Is this old chestnut still being dragged out? Yawn.
    Stay off the f ing pitch.

You Sir are a smart man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,969 ✭✭✭buck65

Feel free to let them go, when someone does get seriously injured, or worse, then see how you feel about "letting them go". Your outlook is abhorrent to me.

Again, if the threat of injury were grounds enough to ban something, you'd have everyone walking to Croke Park.

Unless it was raining. Then we'd have to call it off.

Again, if the threat of injury were grounds enough to ban something, you'd have everyone walking to Croke Park.

Unless it was raining. Then we'd have to call it off.
    So you are equating 50,000 people stampeding onto a small area with people driving motor vehicles? You have a weird outlook on life and human safety. Thank God for the wise heads in the GAA.

So you are equating 50,000 people stampeding onto a small area with people driving motor vehicles? You have a weird outlook on life and human safety. Thank God for the wise heads in the GAA.

I didnt equate the act, I equated the belief that threat of injury alone is grounds for banning something. I'd appreciate it if you didn't try to twist my words. Thank you.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭Dublin Red Devil

buck65 wrote: »

Personally I loved running onto a GAA pitch after an important win. I think this health and safety nonsense is just a lame excuse.

I completely disagree with the fence in front of Hill 16. I think it should be knocked down. It remind's me of Hilsborough. People are not animals. We don't need to have fences around us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

The most important factor for me is the players, I doubt they want thousands of bloody yahoos running up and slapping them on the back. Its not like any of those annoying kids did the legwork to win whatever title was at stake, so leave the players in peace. Its much more satisfying to see the players celebrating together than to see them mobbed by a bunch of people they dont even know.

Personally I loved running onto a GAA pitch after an important win. I think this health and safety nonsense is just a lame excuse.

I completely disagree with the fence in front of Hill 16. I think it should be knocked down. It remind's me of Hilsborough. People are not animals. We don't need to have fences around us
    Unfortunately GAA fans insistence on ignoring the specified wishes of the the Stadium owners necessitated the construction of the fence. If people would just respect the wishes and their fellow match goers then there would be no need for the fence. Until people learn, it will stay there I am sad to say. I am sadder to say, that from reading some of the reactions on here that people won't learn.
    I didnt equate the act, I equated the belief that threat of injury alone is grounds for banning something. I'd appreciate it if you didn't try to twist my words. Thank you.
    There was no twisting of words, it was plain to see your intent. I'd appreciate it if you could be original in your replies. Prevention is always better than cure, I do not wish to have any deaths in Croke Park, we in the GAA have seen quite enough blood shed there already.

The most important factor for me is the players, I doubt they want thousands of bloody yahoos running up and slapping them on the back. Its not like any of those annoying kids did the legwork to win whatever title was at stake, so leave the players in peace. Its much more satisfying to see the players celebrating together than to see them mobbed by a bunch of people they dont even know.
    Fabulous post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

There is also a H+S problem that has developed outside the ground after pitch invasions.

After a pitch invasion most people existed via the Hogan stand on to Jones Rd, this caused particular concerns to the Gardi as crushes were developing there
    There was a good documentary a few years ago about an All Ireland final that highlighted it

Without a pitch invasion the movement of people out of the ground can be better managed after a game.

I understand stopping pitch invasions in Professional Football and Rugby but not in the GAA. The GAA is not just a game. The matches are events where everyone in a local community come together, It's a social gathering. The players are not some obscure superstars. they are our neighbours, family, friends etc of the fans. Celebrating together on the pitch after a game is part of the tradition of the GAA. It's been happening since day 1

It should not be stopped now because of some stupid made up "health and safety" bull****

I understand stopping pitch invasions in Professional Football and Rugby but not in the GAA. The GAA is not just a game. The matches are events where everyone in a local community come together, It's a social gathering. The players are not some obscure superstars. they are our neighbours, family, friends etc of the fans. Celebrating together on the pitch after a game is part of the tradition of the GAA. It's been happening since day 1

It should not be stopped now because of some stupid made up "health and safety" bull****
    Health and Safety is neither made up or bullshiit. Your post is utterly ridiculous and reckless. Your lack of concern for the safety of players and fellow supporters turns my stomach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 236 ✭✭chubba1984

Clare supporters invaded the pitch on Saturday evening after the under 21s won. I thought it was great. Much better view of the trophy presentation from out on the pitch. We also invaded Croke Park in 09 when we won....Plan B was out in force that day!

chubba1984 wrote: »
    Clare supporters invaded the pitch on Saturday evening after the under 21s won. I thought it was great. Much better view of the trophy presentation from out on the pitch. We also invaded Croke Park in 09 when we won....Plan B was out in force that day!
    At neither game was there 50,000 fans attempting to make their way onto the pitch. It was on a far smaller scale with far less danger. Neither was right, and it sickens me to the pit of my stomach that you seem to revel in your carry on. I feel sorry for the players on both occasions who didnt get the opportunity take the occasion in properly. But hey, you had your fun, thats all that matters I guess.

At neither game was there 50,000 fans attempting to make their way onto the pitch. It was on a far smaller scale with far less danger. Neither was right, and it sickens me to the pit of my stomach that you seem to revel in your carry on. I feel sorry for the players on both occasions who didnt get the opportunity take the occasion in properly. But hey, you had your fun, thats all that matters I guess.

I find your take of this very strange cormac. Are you a regular at club or county GAA matches?

Why is this just restricted to Croke Park? As already mentioned you had a pitch invasion for the U21 and you still see it at senior provincial finals outside of Leinster. Why no effort to curb them at these events. Yes CP has greater numbers but surely the risk is there regardless if its 10k or 50k trying to get on the pitch.

I find your take of this very strange cormac. Are you a regular at club or county GAA matches?
    Yes and I will be there Sunday again. I don't see how my lack of desire to run onto a pitch, one which I have no right to be on nor have I worked to grace unlike the players who are there, to yelp and yahoo and backslap makes me any less of a "fíorgael".
    Why is this just restricted to Croke Park? As already mentioned you had a pitch invasion for the U21 and you still see it at senior provincial finals outside of Leinster. Why no effort to curb them at these events. Yes CP has greater numbers but surely the risk is there regardless if its 10k or 50k trying to get on the pitch.
    You don't think 50,000 people trying to break onto a space is any more dangerous that 10,000 people trying to burst onto the same space? Have you ever studied physics or geometry? Your lack of understanding is truly baffling and to be quite honest I am getting a headache discussing this with you given the sheer lack of basic sense which you are exhibiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Rodgeb

Great craic when you are a kid running on to the pitch however I understand completely why they need to be stopped. The assault on the referee after the Louth - Meath Leinster final demonstrates how dangerous they could be.

As usual a small minority of idiots are capable of ruining things for everyone else however the safety of the players and officials must take priority.

• Advertisement

Cormac calm down for heaven sake. Stop making stuff up. Obviouslty 50k is more dangerous. Are you suggesting 10k is completely safethen? if so maybe you need physics lesson. Are you suggesting it should be limited to CP? if so why, seen as you got in such a huff over it happening in Thurles.

seen as you got in such a huff over it happening in Thurles.
    Huh?

I think it is awfull that they are going to stop the Mayo or Donegal fans from celebrating this very rare All Ireland win. For counties like them. The fans may never see their team win an All Ireland again. Being held back just takes away from their day. from the experience of releasing the emotion of pure joy while running across the pitch at croke park. Its a damn shame.

Ask a Mayo or Donegal fan right now would they care, and they'll tell you they couldnt give a flying fucck once Sam is crossing their border. They'll celebrate it just fine thank you very much. And their players will be able to savour the victory with the other players in the camp, not yahoo's lepping and shrieking and pulling from them. At the end of the day, the players care about those in their circle, the camp, and their families and friends. They'll see all of those soon enough.

Let them breath, let them celebrate, and stay away from something that is not yours to intrude upon. Pay heed to the players own advice, stay off the pitch.

Another thing is these fans who are going to the match will have spent at least 100 euro each getting to this game. between ticket, traval, program and overpriced food in the stadium. I say they have payed for the right to share in the moment with their family friends and neighbours on the pitch

Another thing is these fans who are going to the match will have spent at least 100 euro each getting to this game. between ticket, traval, program and overpriced food in the stadium. I say they have payed for the right to share in the moment with their family friends and neighbours on the pitch
    No they haven't. Their ticket allows them entry and if they have a stand ticket, a seat. That is all. They can meet their neighbours and family friends at home.

I feel like I am talking to birds here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

I wonder have the H&S geniuses assessed and quantified the potential for injury for those trying to get on the pitch?
    They should just be done with allowing such crowds assembling in the first place, that's the cause of all this.
    Ramp up the TV rights cost and charge people to see it on telly. They'll be 'safer' at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

It's not about health and safety it's about protecting the GAA from having a massive claim against them in the event of a serious injury or death and that's fair enough when you consider that if that did happen ticket prices would have to sky rocket to cover the cost of insurance in the future.

If the GAA let a pitch invasion occur and someone gets injured because they let it occur that's grounds for a massive claim.

The GAA have no concerns about people being injured outside the venue so comparing driving to the event is just stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭Joekers

All the talk about safety but yet it still happens in every other ground after a final just not croke park talk about hypocrites

draffodx wrote: »
    It's not about health and safety it's about protecting the GAA from having a massive claim against them in the event of a serious injury or death and that's fair enough when you consider that if that did happen ticket prices would have to sky rocket to cover the cost of insurance in the future.

If the GAA let a pitch invasion occur and someone gets injured because they let it occur that's grounds for a massive claim.

The GAA have no concerns about people being injured outside the venue so comparing driving to the event is just stupid.
    No I'm pretty sure the GAA are still a bit concerned about their patrons and players. I doubt they are of the opinion that its ok for people to die or get hurt as long as they don't make a claim.
    Joekers wrote: »
    All the talk about safety but yet it still happens in every other ground after a final just not croke park talk about hypocrites

82,000 people versus smaller ranging from 5,000 to perhaps 15,000.

All Ireland Final versus barely consequential provincial games.

Honestly, I really think birds learn faster than some people here or do people just not read posts?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

No I'm pretty sure the GAA are still a bit concerned about their patrons and players. I doubt they are of the opinion that its ok for people to die or get hurt as long as they don't make a claim.

82,000 people versus smaller ranging from 5,000 to perhaps 15,000.

All Ireland Final versus barely consequential provincial games.

Honestly, I really think birds learn faster than some people here or do people just not read posts?
    You're a very charming person aren't you?
    Quick question: at what attendance do pitch invasions become dangerous? 20000? 30000? Were you against the pitch invasion on Saturday night? I'd appreciate if you could answer these without either twisting my post or throwing about insults.

Personally, I think pitch invasions could be properly managed with a bit of planning. Give the players maybe 5 minutes or more to celebrate/commiserate initially and get an area in front of the Hogan cordened off where players and staff from both teams can congregate comfortably. Then when everything's in place, let the people on the pitch.
    For Sunday, they should at least have the presentation in the middle of the pitch if no pitch invasion occurs. One thing I've found about the All Ireland presentations is that they come across as very cheap and tacky (with those useless streamers). Also, it's nigh on impossible to see the presentation if you're in the Cusack or parts of the Hill and Canal End.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭tatoo

Joekers wrote: »

Great to see such an outpouring of emotion last Saturday night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 748 ✭✭✭boxer.fan

I'm sure they have a PLAN B for when the pitch does become invaded

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭martyeds

Rodgeb wrote: »
    Great craic when you are a kid running on to the pitch however I understand completely why they need to be stopped. The assault on the referee after the Louth - Meath Leinster final demonstrates how dangerous they could be.

As usual a small minority of idiots are capable of ruining things for everyone else however the safety of the players and officials must take priority.

Maybe the stewards could stop and ask the people as they approach the pitch, if they intend to cause harm to any player or official. If they answer with NO, let them carry on. If they answer YES, tell them they are not allowed onto the pitch.

You're a very charming person aren't you?
    Quick question: at what attendance do pitch invasions become dangerous? 20000? 30000? Were you against the pitch invasion on Saturday night? I'd appreciate if you could answer these without either twisting my post or throwing about insults.
    I dont know you, so I dont know why you need to comment on how charming or not I am. I am being generous here to reply to your post given the nature in which you approached me.

- I wasn't there Saturday.
    - I would say 82,000 is far more dangerous attempting a pitch invasion that 20,000 or 30,000.

Personally, I think pitch invasions could be properly managed with a bit of planning. Give the players maybe 5 minutes or more to celebrate/commiserate initially and get an area in front of the Hogan cordened off where players and staff from both teams can congregate comfortably. Then when everything's in place, let the people on the pitch.
    For Sunday, they should at least have the presentation in the middle of the pitch if no pitch invasion occurs. One thing I've found about the All Ireland presentations is that they come across as very cheap and tacky (with those useless streamers). Also, it's nigh on impossible to see the presentation if you're in the Cusack or parts of the Hill and Canal End.
    The point is, people wont wait. And why should the players wait for these yahoos to get their moment in the sun? Its the players time, why do people insist on encroaching on that. Its baffling.
    martyeds wrote: »
    Maybe the stewards could stop and ask the people as they approach the pitch, if they intend to cause harm to any player or official. If they answer with NO, let them carry on. If they answer YES, tell them they are not allowed onto the pitch.
    I couldnt see this working. It seems foolish in the extreme.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

I dont ever remember 50,000 trying to get onto the field in Croke Park.There will probably be 30,000 supporters from each county at the final and probably half of them will either be in the top tiers or have no interest in getting on the pitch.That leaves probably 15,000 who would want to get ont the field after the game.

There would be no issue with pitch invasions if the GAA just organised them properly and opened the gates and allowed supporters to file onto the field in a safe manner so they could get a proper look at the presentation.Perhaps if they cooperated with fans instead of lecturing them they might get a solution that would make keep everybody happy

supporters to file onto the field in a safe manner
    Yea, good joke mate, thanks Laughing_smiley.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 77 ✭✭Scrappylad

Is this not said every year? And low and behold it ends up safer to let fans in. I have no particular views on this as an earlier poster said I don't care as long as dinegal win(praying).

Scrappylad wrote: »
    And low and behold it ends up safer to let fans in.
    No it doesn't. It worked just fine for both All Ireland's for the past 2 years. Please get your facts right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,631 ✭✭✭Dirty Dingus McGee

Yea, good joke mate, thanks Laughing_smiley.gif

If the fans knew they would be let on the field and the GAA cooperated I doubt there would be much issue.Most fans want to get on the field so can can get a proper look at the trophy presentation.

If the fans knew they would be let on the field and the GAA cooperated I doubt there would be much issue.Most fans want to get on the field so can can get a proper look at the trophy presentation.
    Of course they would, I mean in the uproar after an All Ireland Final win, you'll be more than happy to wait 5 minutes, in an orderly manner ans you then proceed to stroll out through a small gateway as hundreds and thousands others do the same. You wouldn't ever be tempted to jockey for position. No sireeeeeeeeeeeeeee. I can't see how your plan could fail.

• Advertisement
Advertisement