Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Pitch Invasion - What you think of it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭gronemeyer

As a population they wouldnt have as strong emotion like cork or kerry because they are used to winning down through the years

Again this is not true, how do I know this i'm a Dub.

Everytime your team wins a trophy it a cause of celebration agreed, last years win seen the biggest party Dublin City/County had in many years and it would have been bigger this year had we gone all the way no doubt.
    Most players prefer the old way
    But in time you will be right because they will know no difference

I've never heard of anybody let alone a player say he loves getting man handled by thousands of strangers in HIS moment of glory :eek:
    This im no expert in but im sure ithere wouldbe a way to prevent insurance claims being successful besides whats done.

Well i'm sorry there is not. The GAA are liable for those on the field, just like a burglar who can sue a homeowner who injures himself whilst trespassing or breaking into the persons property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 595 ✭✭✭cormac halpin

Back from under your bridge I see.
    You're the only one who embarrassed yourself by criticising someone else's grammar while bragging that yours was correct. It really is pathetic on your part, as is threatening to report posts that don't agree with your views (go ahead and report mine by the way. I'm sure the mods could do with a laugh).

I'm done engaging (I couldn't even call it 'arguing' to be honest) with you. Pretty much every other poster can argue their point of view, whatever it is, without resorting to the petty insults and childishness that you come out with.

Enjoy.
    My argument was made and done and finished long before you arrived with your bullying ways. The engagement you received was all that it was worth. Disappointing you cant see fit to engage on a higher level.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭Brain Stroking

AGC wrote: »
    Stupid post.

If Dublin fans(Bar one) can stay in the stands and celebrate so can Mayo fans.

As has been said players hate it, they want to celbrate together if they have won and if beaten the last thing you need is some idiot who has been on the beer all day coming up to you.

Stay off the pitch, celebrate from the stands, it's simple.

Stupid post.

You obviously think that last year's All-Ireland was some sort of seismic event for Dublin. It was a great victory but one All-Ireland since 1995 for a county with a quarter of the country's population is to be the bare minimum.
    What you don't get and your patronising post fails to observe is that the All-Ireland in Mayo is the holy grail. The holy grail. I'm saying if Mayo win on Sunday there will be scenes rarely seen in Croker.
    I also do not know how you can say whether or not the players hate it. I dont think they do, especially if they win and they are on the steps looking at a sea of their county people on the pitch. Probably the best moment of their lives.
    You dont work for Bank of Ireland by any chance? The only advantage i can see to no pitch invasion is a BOI sponsorship opportunity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,933 ✭✭✭kksaints

Stupid post.

You obviously think that last year's All-Ireland was some sort of seismic event for Dublin. It was a great victory but one All-Ireland since 1995 for a county with a quarter of the country's population is to be the bare minimum.
    What you don't get and your patronising post fails to observe is that the All-Ireland in Mayo is the holy grail. The holy grail. I'm saying if Mayo win on Sunday there will be scenes rarely seen in Croker.
    I also do not know how you can say whether or not the players hate it. I dont think they do, especially if they win and they are on the steps looking at a sea of their county people on the pitch. Probably the best moment of their lives.
    You dont work for Bank of Ireland by any chance? The only advantage i can see to no pitch invasion is a BOI sponsorship opportunity

Considering BOI no longer sponsor the football championship I cant see why this matters.
    Best thing option is that the dont let the fans on to the pitch striaght away and give the players a chance to celebrate. Then get the players off the pitch and let the fans on it before the trophy cermony.

The only advantage i can see to no pitch invasion is a BOI sponsorship opportunity
    Facepalm.gif

• Advertisement

kksaints wrote: »
    Considering BOI no longer sponsor the football championship I cant see why this matters.
    Best thing option is that the dont let the fans on to the pitch striaght away and give the players a chance to celebrate. Then get the players off the pitch and let the fans on it before the trophy cermony.

Whatever, whoever sponsors it. The point is valid. Kinda happy as i watch lots of GAA but the corporate whores have not ensnared me.

Facepalm.gif

Ironic as that is what most visitors to the GAA section over the past few weeks have been doing on reading your posts.

But i take it. I should have known the sponsor of the GAA Football Championships.

Ironic as that is what most visitors to the GAA section over the past few weeks have been doing on reading your posts.

But i take it. I should have known the sponsor of the GAA Football Championships.
    Good comeback mate, really saved face there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

The only advantage i can see to no pitch invasion is a BOI sponsorship opportunity

Totally agree.
    Make no mistake about it, this is the type of thing we will be seeing.

Munster-Heineken-Cup-Champions_956807.jpg

Money comes before tradition or culture, or indeed, fan safety, in the minds of the profit motivated administrators of the GAA. They have rolled over on major constitutional issues (foreign games) and moved provincial finals if the wadge of cash dangled was big enough. If this was motivated by fan safety then the GAA would be following suit at all grounds, and other safety aspects of all grounds...they aren't.
    If it is based on Insurance Issues then they would not be able to get insurance, given that it has been admitted above that they are powerless to stop this if it occurs and have a back-up plan if it happens. The insurers are obviously happy to allow it to go ahead. They simply won't insure if they consider their exposure too high.
    It's a blatant sponsor pleasing move...call it what it is.

Good comeback mate, really saved face there.

Saving face implies i did something worth being embarrassed about. I didnt. So it was not an attempt to save face.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Totally agree.
    Make no mistake about it, this is the type of thing we will be seeing.

Munster-Heineken-Cup-Champions_956807.jpg

Money comes before tradition or culture, or indeed, fan safety, in the minds of the profit motivated administrators of the GAA. They have rolled over on major constitutional issues (foreign games) and moved provincial finals if the wadge of cash dangled was big enough. If this was motivated by fan safety then the GAA would be following suit at all grounds, and other safety aspects of all grounds...they aren't.
    If it is based on Insurance Issues then they would not be able to get insurance, given that it has been admitted above that they are powerless to stop this if it occurs and have a back-up plan if it happens. The insurers are obviously happy to allow it to go ahead. They simply won't insure if they consider their exposure too high.
    It's a blatant sponsor pleasing move...call it what it is.

ah here will ye ever come off it. talk about over exxageration.

if you hadnt already realised, the pitch invasion thing has been gone for a while. also, in case you missed it, there is damn all sponsorship like the above when the cup is collected. Just to refresh your memory

abeafefb1775bcdec36d9c59ed89512215b62b697be5271a63742d7f1121ee82.jpg

how you could even try compare the 2 pictures of players collecting the cups is beyond me. You'd nearly have to squint at a still photograph to make out the sponsors of the GAA presentation, never mind seeing it live and taking no notice of it.

bruschi wrote: »

if you hadnt already realised, the pitch invasion thing has been gone for a while. also, in case you missed it, there is damn all sponsorship like the above when the cup is collected. Just to refresh your memory

how you could even try compare the 2 pictures of players collecting the cups is beyond me. You'd nearly have to squint at a still photograph to make out the sponsors of the GAA presentation, never mind seeing it live and taking no notice of it.

I'm not comparing. The intention is to have the presentation on a stage on the field. Is that coincidental or is it (like everything else coming from the increasingly profit, bottom line motivated GAA recently) to be like somebody else?

The point is that the sponsors have the field to themselves to advertise irrespective of where the cup is lifted.

I'm not comparing. The intention is to have the presentation on a stage on the field. Is that coincidental or is it (like everything else coming from the increasingly profit, bottom line motivated GAA recently) to be like somebody else?

That isnt correct either. There were presentations on the pitch in 2000 definitely and it was quickly knocked on the head

The point is that the sponsors have the field to themselves to advertise irrespective of where the cup is lifted.

are you serious? what are they going to do, put a big banner across the field to show their sponsorship? have you ever seen a presentation on AI day? what difference does, as you put it, have the field to themselves make? they dont do anything with the field.

no its not. where do you get that from?

no its not. where do you get that from?

Based on what they attempted to do on the Plan B day. I have seen no statement about them not doing that again when they establish a crowd free pitch.

are you serious? what are they going to do, put a big banner across the field to show their sponsorship? have you ever seen a presentation on AI day? what difference does, as you put it, have the field to themselves make? they dont do anything with the field.

I have seen about 15 AI Final presentations live and all but last year's involved fans running onto the pitch after, as was tradition. I have seen 2 All-Ireland's (including last year's) where fans were kept off the pitch and each of those was where i noticed the sponsors presence above anything else.
    Disagreeing with me is fine. Acting all incredulous at simple easy to understand statements drags the thread down.

I get it. You want the pitch kept clear. Not everyone agrees. And once the final whistle goes on Sunday there'll be bedlam no matter who wins.

Double post - apologies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 300 ✭✭Luca Brasi

Do the winning or losing players deserve to be dragged around by a crowd of drunken morans, a lot who are at their first match of the year?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55 ✭✭The Don 1985

Luca Brasi wrote: »
    Do the winning or losing players deserve to be dragged around by a crowd of drunken morans, a lot who are at their first match of the year?

Seems to me like a lot of people on this thread have never played GAA before ..winning players wouldnt care less who is dragging the around, they are All Ireland Champions for f*ck sake. Losing players could prehaps take it as motivation never to be in that situtation.

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

I cant understand these type of comments:confused:
    Maybe is a country/city/pale divide?

Would you mind answering
    A)if you are from dublin/pale?
    b)and if you have played gaa(in underage finals etc)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

i think plenty of people have put forward suggestions of a way of doing "pitch invasion" without that happening.
    you should deal with those arguments instead of just repeating the same mantra over and over.

ps what have you got against the moran family?:D

I've been to many many provincial finals and to Croke Park many times, and while you see the occasional over indulger, I have yet to see 'crowds of drunken morons'

Get a grip, over exaggerating doesn't help your point.

It's safer, and ultimately more enjoyable for the fans as they all get to see the lap of honour.

And the players, amateur athletes who dont get paid i might add, they get to enjoy or comiserate the moment in relative harmony having worked their backsides off to get there without having toe rags slapping the backs off them or hanging out of their neck, most of whom are only up there because its a final.

I know a youngster who was proud telling me that night Kilkenny done the 4 in a row, that he gave Eoin Kelly a nipple cripple. He may have been only a kid but in all fairness a bit of common decency still wouldn't go amiss.

With some of the gurriers attending games these times who havent even the decency to stay silent during a minutes silence its then or ever they should be kept in the stands.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 357 ✭✭jacko1

given the two counties involved tomorrow the only way an invasion will be stopped is if the ref blows a draw
    It would take a brave steward to stop those Donegal or Mayo boys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭MaroonAndGreen

The joy and craziness of the Donegal or Mayo fans when they win tomorrow will definetly result in some fans attempting a pitch invasion, I have no doubt of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Always_Running

The joy and craziness of the Donegal or Mayo fans when they win tomorrow will definetly result in some fans attempting a pitch invasion, I have no doubt of that.

They will attempt however the "health and safety" guys will be hoping the plastic wall and orange mesh prevents them from doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭gronemeyer

jacko1 wrote: »
    It would take a brave steward to stop those Donegal or Mayo boys

The stewards are doing a good job so it seems :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Its great to see the Donegal lads celebrating together as a team like this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Well everything passed without incident, with the stewards doing their jobs well, the donegal fans have been a credit to their county as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 504 ✭✭✭LeftBlank

After the non-event that was the pitch invasion, there were some lovely scenes after the final whistle went particularly with players able to celebrate with their families and their children. I don't think any GAA supporter could begrudge that.

On a related note, did anyone see the footage on the Sunday Game of Mark McHugh celebrating with his dad, very touching stuff.

What splendid scenes there on Sunday, thank God common sense has finally emerged and we get to see joyous scenes on the pitch among the players as we did on Sunday.

What splendid scenes there on Sunday, thank God common sense has finally emerged and we get to see joyous scenes on the pitch among the players as we did on Sunday.

Completely lacked atmosphere after a few minutes. Sterile and very remote. Even the TV cameras got bored, it just got repetitive and boring. It was a damp squib of a celebration tbh. The GAA would be better expending energy editing the victory speeches of captains imo.

I completely disagree. The unraptured joy was something to behold, it was a pleasure to be there in person to watch as the players and management were able to take it all in, unhindered by all means of yahoos and clowns. Mayo were also able to exit the stage with some dignity, and there was some beautiful moments to witness between generations of players and children. All in all a wonderful occasion and a victory for common sense and the GAA.

Jimmy's winning matches indeed.

• Advertisement

I completely disagree. The unraptured joy was something to behold, it was a pleasure to be there in person to watch as the players and management were able to take it all in, unhindered by all means of yahoos and clowns. Mayo were also able to exit the stage with some dignity, and there was some beautiful moments to witness between generations of players and children. All in all a wonderful occasion and a victory for common sense and the GAA.

Jimmy's winning matches indeed.

You don't have a lot of respect for ordinary Gaels, do you? To characterise the exuberance and delight of an excited crowd as clownish and yahooish behaviour is really sad. The Mayo team where made to stand dejectly on the pitch for all to see...dignity? You have a warped sense of dignity if that is what you seen.
    It's just one more sad step by the GAA of sterilizing the experience of the fan behind draconian lines of yellow clad stewards.
    Watch as they move this onto a stage in the middle of the field in the next few years and further remove the fan from the event. Sad in extremis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,426 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

You don't have a lot of respect for ordinary Gaels, do you? To characterise the exuberance and delight of an excited crowd as clownish and yahooish behaviour is really sad. The Mayo team where made to stand dejectly on the pitch for all to see...dignity? You have a warped sense of dignity if that is what you seen.
    It's just one more sad step by the GAA of sterilizing the experience of the fan behind draconian lines of yellow clad stewards.
    Watch as they move this onto a stage in the middle of the field in the next few years and further remove the fan from the event. Sad in extremis.

Tell me Happyman42 are you a Donegal fan and were you there ?

I'd like to hear what Donegal people that were there have to say about the celebration.

Tell me Happyman42 are you a Donegal fan and were you there ?

I'd like to hear what Donegal people that were there have to say about the celebration.

Donegal blood courses through my veins, and no, I wasn't there.
    As a GAA fan, I think a joyous tradition has been thrown away here to be replaced by a shortlived, repetitive (for the viewer) spectacle. At times the players didn't know what to do and headed towards the fans, I just don't see what was better about it all. The lifeblood of the GAA (the fan) has every right to express themselves too. And I think the GAA have not thought hard enough about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭AGC

Stupid post.

The All Ireland is the holy grail for any team, be it Mayo, Donegal, Dublin or Kilkenny.

I can say the players hate it, knowing a couple involved in not just the Dublin panel but other counties through club football.

Do you think they want to train for months on end living in each others pocket basically putting their lives on hold to have the chance of celebration with each other to be taken away?

As has been said all you have to do is look at the McHugh's yesterday.

Don't forget it was a player inititaive to set up the ad campaign to keep fans off the pitch after games. Not the GAA.

As a GAA fan, I think a joyous tradition has been thrown away here to be replaced by a shortlived, repetitive (for the viewer) spectacle. At times the players didn't know what to do and headed towards the fans, I just don't see what was better about it all. The lifeblood of the GAA (the fan) has every right to express themselves too. And I think the GAA have not thought hard enough about it.

Thank you, just as I though you don't have a f**king clue what you are on about.

So from your vantage point in front of the TV you found it a shortlived, repetitive (for the viewer) spectacle.

It doesn't matter a damn what you though to be honest, cos I'm sure that there are tens of thousands of Donegal fans who enjoyed every minute of the celebrations from the ire seats in the stands and their places on the hill, and the team got the celebrate unhindered, and that's all that matters.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Has any player ever "known what to do" after winning the All-Ireland? The pitch invasion option gives them no choice what to do, they have no choice but to get mobbed and struggle to make their way to the Hogan Stand for the presentation.

The lifeblood of the GAA is the fan? Maybe a bit, but the real lifeblood of the GAA is the players; no players, no GAA. All players, from the big names known country wide to the Junior B "nobodies" who put the hard graft in for their team, the thousands of players at all levels are the main and most important lifeblood of the GAA.

The GAA HAVE thought long and hard about it, and they made their decision accordingly. Just because you don't like their decision does not mean you can make the (frankly ridiculous) claim that they haven't thought hard enough about it.

Thank you, just as I though you don't have a f**king clue what you are on about.

So from your vantage point in front of the TV you found it a shortlived, repetitive (for the viewer) spectacle.

It doesn't matter a damn what you though to be honest, cos I'm sure that there are tens of thousands of Donegal fans who enjoyed every minute of the celebrations from the ire seats in the stands and their places on the hill, and that's all that matters.

Off course they enjoyed it, don't be stupid now. What fan wouldn't, but was it better?..imo, no it wasn't. The draconian and neccesary line of stewards is testament to the fact THAT THERE ARE 10's of thousands who wanted to keep the tradition. Do I and they not have a say without being called yahoos and yobs?
    I have been to finals (many of them) and I can imagine myself into the scenario of watching a celebration, frankly run out of steam.
    Martin McHugh's meeting with his son, would have happened anyway as would each player meeting his colleague.
    Are you trying to tell me that fans in the stands leave when there is a pitch invasion and don't stay for the presentation or don't enjoy it because there is a crowd on the pitch??????????
    And you assert that 'I' don't know what I am talking about? :rolleyes:

Off course they enjoyed it, don't be stupid now. What fan wouldn't, but was it better?..imo, no it wasn't. The draconian and neccesary line of stewards is testament to the fact THAT THERE ARE 10's of thousands who wanted to keep the tradition. Do I and they not have a say without being called yahoos and yobs?
    I have been to finals (many of them) and I can imagine myself into the scenario of watching a celebration, frankly run out of steam.
    Martin McHugh's meeting with his son, would have happened anyway as would each player meeting his colleague.
    Are you trying to tell me that fans in the stands leave when there is a pitch invasion and don't stay for the presentation or don't enjoy it because their is a crowd on the pitch??????????

Ok let me think,
    Watch the presentation from my seat and then enjoy seeing the team doing a lap of honour with the cup or join the crush to get through a small gate onto the field and then see the presentation squeezed shoulder to shoulder with thousands of others

And once the presentation is over that's it you do not see that team and that cup again till that night or till it arrives in your home town.

I know which I would choose.

We are 5 finals on since the last pitch envasion, so I doubt there were many Donegal fans p**ed off that they could not ' keep the tradition'

I know which I would choose.

And?.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,277 ✭✭✭shiibata

As a Donegal man who was at the game, I for one, the rest of family with me and every other Donegal fan around me, remarked "that it was a great idea to keep the fans off the pitch as everyone from the youngest to the oldest was able to witness all that was happening"...
    These players have put in unreal commitment and at the final whistle, they were able to share it with loved ones who to be honest, they have hardly seen in recent months.

Frank McGlynn was able to take Sam over to his granny and get a photo with her.
    Big Durcan standing in the goals as Jim's kids took shots at him.
    Mark and Martin McHugh embracing after the game(ye, would still have happened but would have been 20,000 others embracing them too)

There just 3 stand out moments , the whole of Donegal are on about and would not have been possible with the pitch invasion..

And?.....

For someone who was not even there you seem to feel that those that were there were somehow disadvantaged, you must have great insight into how others feel.

Anyway I'll ask again, can anyone from Donegal that was actually there please tell us what you thought about having to stay in you seat and not get on the field ?

Edit : Thanks shiibata, i see your post now.

Are you trying to tell me that fans in the stands leave when there is a pitch invasion and don't stay for the presentation or don't enjoy it because there is a crowd on the pitch??????????

you were going on about it being all about sponsorship before. now its draconian and alienating the 'lifeblood' of the GAA.

did you ever stop and think that it might be the aim of a few to get on the pitch and invade, and others follow just beacuse of pure adrenalin, or that by staying off the field, every singe person can enjoy it and see their team do a lap of honour with the cup. the players should be the main issue here, and by not having pitch invasions, they can absorb what has happened and take in the whole surroundings and joy of the occasion, instead of being mobbed and shove up on steps without being able to take a moment to themselves.

you were going on about it being all about sponsorship before. now its draconian and alienating the 'lifeblood' of the GAA.

did you ever stop and think that it might be the aim of a few to get on the pitch and invade, and others follow just beacuse of pure adrenalin, or that by staying off the field, every singe person can enjoy it and see their team do a lap of honour with the cup. the players should be the main issue here, and by not having pitch invasions, they can absorb what has happened and take in the whole surroundings and joy of the occasion, instead of being mobbed and shove up on steps without being able to take a moment to themselves.

I'm still saying it will be about sponsorship and that this will be moved onto the centre of the pitch in a few years, once this 'new' way of doing things is established.
    Conservatives are conservatives and there are more than a few in the ranks of the GAA and they have had their way on this.
    I would like to hear just how much the fans sitting with a solid row of stewards in front of them got to see. I also couldn't help seeing fans hanging perilously over the stand above the presentation (quick! ring H&S, down with that sort of thing :rolleyes:
    The GAA didn't work hard enough to come up with a way of doing this to satisfy all persuasions, they capitulated to the H&S brigade and have their sights set on a more sponsor friendly event at the expense of a goodly portion of the support base.

I'm still saying it will be about sponsorship and that this will be moved onto the centre of the pitch in a few years, once this 'new' way of doing things is established.
    Conservatives are conservatives and there are more than a few in the ranks of the GAA and they have had their way on this.
    I would like to hear just how much the fans sitting with a solid row of stewards in front of them got to see. I also couldn't help seeing fans hanging perilously over the stand above the presentation (quick! ring H&S, down with that sort of thing :rolleyes:
    The GAA didn't work hard enough to come up with a way of doing this to satisfy all persuasions, they capitulated to the H&S brigade and have their sights set on a more sponsor friendly event at the expense of a goodly portion of the support base.

and you are the one speaking on behalf of the goodly portion of supporters are you?

and you are the one speaking on behalf of the goodly portion of supporters are you?

Which is it, thousands invading the pitch or just a few? ;)

• Advertisement
Advertisement