Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reviews of Baby Monitor

Options
  • 18-09-2012 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭

Thinking of getting the below monitor
    Motorola baby Monitor

Has anyone got this? It seems like a great deal (half price - almost too good to be true)
    Little fella moving to his own room this week so need a monitor.

We currently have an old hand me down but the interferance with home wifi is really bad and constant crackle and sound spikes make it almost unusable

Will this (being DECT) have a better chance of working?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

You can change the channel on the monitor to try to avoid interference. You could also change the channel on your wireless.

Never used the motorola.

We use the angelcare sensor mat one and find it very good.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

I have a non video Motorola one and find it really good. No compaints here

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

I have a camera monitor and interfears with wifi regardless if i change d channel. D picture is fine but d sound is terrible. So we got d motorolla mbp10. Its a sound only monitor . I find it great. It doesnt buzz just knocks on when baby makes a sound. I also have an angelcare movement monitor which i bought when we moved our daughter to her own room. Depending on ur babys age but i found it very reassuring.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,253 ✭✭✭donnacha

tui0hcg wrote: »
    Thinking of getting the below monitor
    Motorola baby Monitor

Has anyone got this? It seems like a great deal (half price - almost too good to be true)
    Little fella moving to his own room this week so need a monitor.

We currently have an old hand me down but the interferance with home wifi is really bad and constant crackle and sound spikes make it almost unusable

Will this (being DECT) have a better chance of working?

I haven't used a video one - have an old one which I thought was dying last year as it was getting lots of interferance and only had two channels options. I'd assumed it was the wifi in the house so bought a replacement model in the Lidl outlet place near ikea (think it cost €15). Anyway as it turned out the old monitor is still working fine - turned that when I moved the downstairs receiver to a different location/socket it worked fine. Might be worth trying a few other plug sockets before you invest in another.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Well we are going to take the plunge and get this today. Its a great price.

From reading a few technical details it looks like we should be OK as its on a completely different frequency than the WiFi. Also looks like it wont interfere with our house phone as DECT has its own way of sorting out channel conflicts.

Currently no matter what channel we set the monitor and WiFi to there is major interference. It gets worse the more things we connect. For example - if I am web surfing on my phone and the wife is on the laptop the monitor becomes almost too bad to see video. If we turn off the router its perfect and is crystal clear but there still is some sound interference (neighbours WiFi is to blame for this I think)

Thanks for all the feedback and I will post up some details when we get it set up and running

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

OK so have this unit almost a week so here are our thoughts on it

Pros:
    Excellent reception – no interference of any sort (and we have a lot of Wi-Fi equipment around the house)
    Very good sound – blocks out background noise and only activates if the baby is stirring or crying
    Extra long power cord for baby unit allows us to position it where we need it
    Good battery life
    Talk back feature is great
    Music lullaby feature is nice
    Lots of menu options allow you to get the parent unit just right
    Light and portable parent unit
    Belt clip which doubles as a stand is great
    Extendable – you can add additional camera units
    Range seems good – have tried it up to 100ft away and no issues

Cons
    Picture is a little grainy under darkness (Picture can seem to a little pixelated)
    Power cord is too short on parent unit (would like it to be as long as baby unit)
    Can’t seem to turn on the lullaby music from the parent unit

Overall we are really happy with it and the price was well below any similar units – the only thing I think is missing is some kind of accessory to be able to attach it to a cot etc (you can mount it on a wall or screw the baby unit on to the cot but if it had some accessory to be able to attach and remove for the cot that would be great)
    so our recommendation would be to get one if you can at this price

Advertisement