Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoo Aftercare advice

• 18-09-2012 9:52am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,796 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,

This is probably the millionth thread on this, but hear me out.

I got my sleeve done(started) on saturday, its up in the images thread here.

For my first tattoo, the advice i got in taking care of it was cover it with bepanthan and cling film for 3 days then just use E45.

This is much bigger than mine, and unfortunately my tattoo artist didn't have great English, so it was a bit hard to understand.

From reading on here and the general internet, some say that to not cover for more than a day and then use tattoo goo or the equivalent ointment for a number of days after that and then E45.

I was tattooed on saturday, kept it covered Sunday and Monday, and today I just have the bepanthan on it, does that sound about right?

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,470 ✭✭✭SolvableKnave

Yeah that should be alright. If you haven't discovered it already, before applying the Bepanthen, sit it upside down in some hot water for a few mins. This REALLY helps with application as it is a very sticky cream. The hot water helps soften the cream to allow a more even and better application. Do that 3 times a day, for a week or 2, depending on how well your body heals, then move onto the E45.

Also, even after the tattoo heals, from personal experience, I continue to use the E45. It helps to keep the skin from drying out and helps to keep the tattoo looking fresh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,796 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

I discovered the heating of the tube of cream yesterday, its a revelation, it really helps so much.

Thanks for the help.

Is it normal for little bits of black to come off when you are putting the bepanthan? Even if you have warmed it up a bit?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Wish I knew about that bepanthen trick. Healing is a always hard work for me.

Wish I knew about that bepanthen trick. Healing is a always hard work for me.

Its really great, works so much better now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭Adiboo

Gintonious wrote: »
    Is it normal for little bits of black to come off when you are putting the bepanthan? Even if you have warmed it up a bit?

That's normal yeah.

I found out about the Bepanthen trick by having it in my pocket. It warms up enough in there to go on smoothly too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Luke warm water for 15 mins does the trick for me man
    Also I wouldn't bother with the cling film for that long I do keep mine on for 2 hour max and then use bepantan twice a day after shower in morning and after shower at night and does the job

Yeah its healing quite well, lots of peeling but it is a big tattoo.

I'm also taking 400mg of Vitamin E along with it, have noticed my skin is not itchy at all and is healing very quickly, could be something to look at in the future for some people?

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Mansized Wreath

Leave it wrapped for a few hours (overnight if needs be), next day wash with anti bacterial soap and apply small amount of bepatham. Wash it twice daily,bepatham 3 times daily for first 4 days. Then e45 for a week x 4 times daily. Easy peasy ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

not a massive fan of bepanthen personally.

it is wonderful for the vast majority of people, but some people (also me...) get a horrendous heat rash and severely blocked pores with it, particularly in combination with keeping it wrapped.

the best way to heal a tattoo is to get a lot of them and work out what works with your skin. Bepanthen is a good default.

I have a painfully hot shower for as long as I can stand, let it air dry and then do absolutely nothing else for the healing - bar avoiding obviously stupid things like swimming, tanning, or going to a festival.

My tattoos take forever to heal, I get a huge scab than can take a month to clear, but I keep all the ink.

edit - if in doubt, do exactly what your tattoo artist recommends

• Advertisement

Yeah my tattoo healed very quick with bepanthan and E45, had it covered for the first few days, more so out of convenience as bepanthan is a horrible thing to get everywhere. Has healed very well so far but a few spots here and there.

Just to bump this thread, what soaps do people generally use to clean the tattoo? I am using dove soap bar but its a bit of a pain to use to clean my arm, I think a liquid soap would be better for it, but I'm not sure what one to get.

Any suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭maximoose

Just to bump this thread, what soaps do people generally use to clean the tattoo? I am using dove soap bar but its a bit of a pain to use to clean my arm, I think a liquid soap would be better for it, but I'm not sure what one to get.

Any suggestions?

I always thought it was best to avoid all soaps during the first healing stages?

Just hot water, as hot as you can stand

Getting ink on saturday, think I'm gonna try the baby lotion method this time around :)

Any suggestions?

Any un-fragranced anti-bacterial liquid soap is normally what's recommended.

I always use the soap pictured here

23461?$lg$

Adiboo wrote: »
    Any un-fragranced anti-bacterial liquid soap is normally what's recommended.

I always use the soap pictured here

23461?$lg$

Thanks, would this be along the lines of dove but in liquid form?

Thanks, would this be along the lines of dove but in liquid form?

Bar soaps wouldn't be recommended for healing tattoos.

Adiboo wrote: »
    Bar soaps wouldn't be recommended for healing tattoos.

I was told to use the Dove soap bar for cleaning, as there is nothing added to it at all?

I might try the liquid soap though, would be easier to use and to get the tattoo clean.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

not a massive fan of bepanthen personally.

I have a painfully hot shower for as long as I can stand, let it air dry and then do absolutely nothing else for the healing - bar avoiding obviously stupid things like swimming, tanning, or going to a festival.

My tattoos take forever to heal, I get a huge scab than can take a month to clear, but I keep all the ink.

edit - if in doubt, do exactly what your tattoo artist recommends

This^^^^

Bepanthen is also a complete no no in my book.It contains lanolin which can cause a reaction in a lot of people.It clogs pores and anytime Ive used it Ive gotten heat rash--like small pimples where the pores are blocked.

Wash with the hottest water you can stand,rinse with cold water.Air dry.

Nothing else.I personally use Johnsons baby lotion and nothing else.Never loose any ink and like Bodice Ripper I usualy scab a fair bit but dont loose any ink.

The whole cling film thing is wrong aswell.Youre basically making an environment in which anerobic bacteria grow ie a hot,humid,oxygenless area with plenty of organic compunds for them to feed on-your skin,lymph,blood etc.

It just doesnt make any sense to cover any wound in cling film.If you want to cover it use a breathable bandage/dressing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭maximoose

Question to the baby lotion champions here - how often do you find yourself needing to apply it?

Just started using it this morning (5th day, used bepanthen up until now) and find it doesn't seem to last too long before feeling a bit dry again.. is it just me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Just reading some of the methods people use here.. Some of them have made me wince! It just shows how different everyone's reactions are.

Generally, I heal fast! Within 7 -9 days, the tattoo is completely healed.

I have always stuck to what my artist told me to.

I usually get tattooed in the evening time, so once he wraps it I leave it until I get home and wash with the detol antibacterial soap and dry with a towel I only ever use for tattoos (obviously washed regularly). Then bapanthon it and wrap it. Then for the following 3 days, I wash/bapanthon/fresh wrap 3 times a day. And following that, I use bapanthon for 4 days and then with E45 lotion for a week or so.

• Advertisement

Mine is taking a while to heal, but then I did sit for a long time for the color.

Only the odd part is still peeling but the colors are now looking more settled and natural.

Keeping it clean with anti-bac soap and using E45, I'd say this time next week it will be all done.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭murfinho

...I usually get tattooed in the evening time, so once he wraps it I leave it until I get home and wash with the detol antibacterial soap and dry with a towel I only ever use for tattoos (obviously washed regularly). Then bapanthon it and wrap it. Then for the following 3 days, I wash/bapanthon/fresh wrap 3 times a day. And following that, I use bapanthon for 4 days and then with E45 lotion for a week or so.

When you say wrap it, what do you mean with?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

maximoose wrote: »
    Question to the baby lotion champions here - how often do you find yourself needing to apply it?

Just started using it this morning (5th day, used bepanthen up until now) and find it doesn't seem to last too long before feeling a bit dry again.. is it just me?

Johnsons is super moisturising--ever wonder where the saying soft as a babys bum came from so dont worry if it feels dry--It is being moisturised.

Twice maybe 3 times a day should be enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

I got me ribs done 2 weeks ago big enough piece
    My tattooist covered it with tissue as cling film is just a place for bacteria as its been said
    I took it off after an hour washed it and put bepathan on it
    Next day put it on again and following day then left it and Havint lost any ink or anything and as usual like all my pieces on me it looks as it should
    What you all seem to be forgetting is peoples body reacts different to tattoos
    I myself heal very quick where as some of my family take ages to heal and scab bad
    I don't scab
    So some take to it different some good some bad but I wouldn't go round bath mouthin different lotions or creams as all take to it different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

murfinho wrote: »
    When you say wrap it, what do you mean with?

Fresh cling film each time.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭obnicc

Bumping this.

Just home after getting a tattoo today, went somewhere different to where I normally go and the aftercare instructions are completely different so I'm very confused.

My old tattoo artist always told me to take the cling film off after two hours, wash and air dry and apply bepanthen, then repeat the wash and bepanthen 2 to 3 times a day.

The tattoo artist today told me to re-wrap it in fresh cling film after each wash....I always thought this was a no no?

Anyone got any advice for me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Don't re-wrap, there's no need for that and won't allow your skin to breath. Instead sweat can get trapped under the film allowing a perfect environment for bacteria to grow. Just wash the tattoo 3 times a day and air dry or pat with a towel.

I put bepanthen on mine afterwards with no issues, though there does seem to be conflicting advice on its use ;)

Edit: only used bepanthen for 2/3 washes and with that used the minimal amount required. Smaller than pea size ;)

FoxyVixen wrote: »
    Don't re-wrap, there's no need for that and won't allow your skin to breath. Instead sweat can get trapped under the film allowing a perfect environment for bacteria to grow. Just wash the tattoo 3 times a day and air dry or pat with a towel.

I put bepanthen on mine afterwards with no issues, though there does seem to be conflicting advice on its use ;)

Edit: only used bepanthen for 2/3 washes and with that used the minimal amount required. Smaller than pea size ;)

Thanks for replying quick! I've never re-wrapped my tattoos before, I assumed the same about creating an environment for bacteria to grow, just needed reassurance lol, the tattoo artist looked at me like I had two heads when I said I had never wrapped my tattoos :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Like FoxyVixen said, don't keep it wrapped. It lets bacteria breed.

I was told to wrap on my first few tattoos, which I did, and while they healed fine, my other tattoos that I didn't wrap healed much easier and much faster.

• Advertisement

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    Like FoxyVixen said, don't keep it wrapped. It lets bacteria breed.

I was told to wrap on my first few tattoos, which I did, and while they healed fine, my other tattoos that I didn't wrap healed much easier and much faster.

I'm regretting even leaving it on the 4 hours like she said. Don't know if it's just different than usual or what, but I've given it a good wash now and there's still ink smudged around the edges of the lines, haven't experienced this before.

Advertisement