Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tattoo Aftercare advice

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

4 hours on the day you get it done isn't too terrible, I usually leave mine for three hours, but replace it each hour for those 3 hours 'cause I bleed like a motherfúcker. :o

Don't worry about smudges or anything just yet, could just be expelled ink. You'll know when it's healed if it's perfect or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭obnicc

Esoteric_ wrote: »
    4 hours on the day you get it done isn't too terrible, I usually leave mine for three hours, but replace it each hour for those 3 hours 'cause I bleed like a motherfúcker. :o

Don't worry about smudges or anything just yet, could just be expelled ink. You'll know when it's healed if it's perfect or not.

Phew, was worried I'd messed something up. I'll keep an eye on it, thank you!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Honestly I think the best policy with healing tattoos is to listen to your body!! Least that's what I did when it came to how often to wash it and what lotion to use. I left the cling film on as recommended after but took it off sooner than suggested because I felt the need to wash the tattoo.

Some people are ignorant in general with aftercare which is why I think there is such varied advice regarding healing tattoos ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

obnicc wrote: »
    Bumping this.

Just home after getting a tattoo today, went somewhere different to where I normally go and the aftercare instructions are completely different so I'm very confused.

My old tattoo artist always told me to take the cling film off after two hours, wash and air dry and apply bepanthen, then repeat the wash and bepanthen 2 to 3 times a day.

The tattoo artist today told me to re-wrap it in fresh cling film after each wash....I always thought this was a no no?

Anyone got any advice for me?

Aye, don't wrap it! It really is a no-no.
    FoxyVixen wrote: »
    I put bepanthen on mine afterwards with no issues, though there does seem to be conflicting advice on its use ;)

Edit: only used bepanthen for 2/3 washes and with that used the minimal amount required. Smaller than pea size ;)

Yeah, always conflicting advice, but I just stick with what my guy tells me...it's wrapped straight after, take the wrap off after two hours and wash with warm water and pat dry. Then apply bepanthen twice a day after washing. I tried the Johnstons on the last tatt (as per advice here) and it reacted bad. I got pimples all over the tatt which never happened before. I went back to the bepanthen for the current one and it's fine.

Horses for courses I guess.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Aye, don't wrap it! It really is a no-no.

Yeah, always conflicting advice, but I just stick with what my guy tells me...it's wrapped straight after, take the wrap off after two hours and wash with warm water and pat dry. Then apply bepanthen twice a day after washing. I tried the Johnstons on the last tatt (as per advice here) and it reacted bad. I got pimples all over the tatt which never happened before. I went back to the bepanthen for the current one and it's fine.

Horses for courses I guess.

Have to say I've never heard Of a reaction to Johnson's before.But I have seen a lot if reactions to bepanthen.You have weird skin pkm!!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭obnicc

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Have to say I've never heard Of a reaction to Johnson's before.But I have seen a lot if reactions to bepanthen.You have weird skin pkm!!!!!

What are the reactions people have to bepanthen?? I got a bit of reaction around my last two tattoos, red n bumpy around it, tattoo artist thought it might have been the red or yellow ink, but it's happened on my newest that's all black.

I switched to tattoo goo last night & the redness has gone down considerably this morning now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Hellrazer was saying earlier in the thread that Bepanthen has lanolin in it, which can cause reactions. that's why he recommends Johnson's baby lotion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭FoxyVixen

Hellrazer wrote: »

PKM isn't the only one to react to Johnston's. I'd seen your recommendations when I got my tattoo last year and thought best to switch. Johnstons caused the tattoo to become very red, sensitive/tender and the skin felt very restricted with movement. Back on bepanthen I had no issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

I gotta admit, when I was using Johnsons for my last tattoo, it seemed to take much longer to heal up than when I'd used Bepanthen! I had no reactions to either though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

Different methods work for different people I guess. I've always gone the bepanthen route letting the tattoo breath unless I have to wear long sleeves

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Sounds like you aren't using enough Johnsons.Its not like bepanthen where it leaves a layer on your skin.You need to use it more often and a good bit more of it.

You know the way it dries in and leaves your skin almost dry to the touch??That's why you need to use it more liberally!!!

Advertisement