Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

School patronage

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,913 ✭✭✭Absolam

Why bother? The fact that you come up with a poor analogy doesn't mean I should try and make it work for you, does it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,750 ✭✭✭✭looksee

No-one would need any analogies if you were able to understand simple justice and democracy.

That sounds a lot more like snark than discussion in fairness... I don't think you can speak for what I understand.

It is indeed snark.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,160 ✭✭✭Huntergonzo

Why has religion not f cked off out of public schools yet? In fairness it has no place in public schools (or private for that matter, but that's their own business I suppose) and we shouldn't still be wasting time talking about it.

Can the Government not just tell the lunatics to enjoy their magical homophobic friend in their own time and leave schools free to teach useful stuff?

Huntergonzo for Taoiseach?

• Advertisement

we shouldn't still be wasting time talking about it.
    Don't worry... You don't have to talk about it if you don't want to. You can just not post in the thread :)

looksee wrote: »
    It is indeed snark.
    Par for the course so :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Absolam wrote: »
    Well... No, to be honest. If you have a situation where people aren't getting treated because there's not enough treatment to go around, then that is a resourcing issue. There's no 'what if' involved; the only 'what if' in what you're positing is what if there were enough resources to treat everyone... and the answer is everyone would get treated/on a bus/into a school. Discrimination wouldn't be an issue at all because everyone would get what they need regardless of any prioritisation; it becomes an issue when there are not enough resources. Pretending otherwise is what is disingenuous and inaccurate.

The situation you provide there is a wee bit obfuscative, you seem to imply 'people' means just a random bunch of people. Here I'll fix your post to reflect the reality I know of.
    If you have a situation where people - based on the grounds of their religious beliefs- aren't getting treated because there's not enough treatment to go around, then that is a resourcing issue.

Still a resourcing issue is it? But of course if you are of the right creed then the resource issue magically disappears doesn't it?

I find it unusual where on one hand 3 schools are being amalgamated into 1 to save costs.. but yet other schools are being split out into 2 to 'provide choice'.
    Maybe we should be providing choice to sick children too! Hey maybe build the new childrens' hospital in St James',Beaumount, the Coombe and the Mater site to cater for 3 denominations and 1 non-denomination. At least the kids then can get their health combined with the appropriate ethos.

Gebgbegb wrote: »
    The situation you provide there is a wee bit obfuscative, you seem to imply 'people' means just a random bunch of people. Here I'll fix your post to reflect the reality I know of..
    it wasn't my choice of analogy so you'll have to pick someone else up on the obfuscatory nature I'm afraid. However I will point out that you didn't fix my point, you just wrote your own to suit your point of view; I'd appreciate it if you didn't try to make it look like you're quoting me when in fact you're just making your own little story up :)
    Still a resourcing issue is it? But of course if you are of the right creed then the resource issue magically disappears doesn't it?
    if your story includes that fact that people aren't being treated because there aren't enough resources to treat them, then yes, it's a resourcing issue.
    I find it unusual where on one hand 3 schools are being amalgamated into 1 to save costs.. but yet other schools are being split out into 2 to 'provide choice'.
    Maybe we should be providing choice to sick children too! Hey maybe build the new childrens' hospital in St James',Beaumount, the Coombe and the Mater site to cater for 3 denominations and 1 non-denomination. At least the kids then can get their health combined with the appropriate ethos.
    Sounds like you have a plan... Are you intending on bidding to take over hospitals?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,348 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

This talk of a 'resources issue' is, frankly, bollocks. Every child gets a school place. Somewhere. Eventually. The problem is that catholics are guaranteed to get into their local school while non-catholics may have several schools turn them down before securing a place, may have to wait a year longer than they otherwise would to get a school place (advancing up the admissions list on age grounds) and/or having to travel a long distance to a school which is not the nearest one to them. They may even have to appeal to the Dept of Education to force a local school to admit their child.

The issue in areas of Dublin is religion perpetuating snobbery. 'Posh' areas like Rathgar have a large demand from other areas, local non-catholic children living in such a 'desirable' area are bumped down the queue while children from outside their area from catholic familes skip the queue ahead of them. The Dept Ed doesn't see this as a problem as the net ratio of children to places isn't affected by it - every child choosing not to go to their local school on snobbery grounds is leaving an available place there (probably for a non-catholic with no other option to take up.) It's who gets the places and how that's decided which is the problem, religion is the overriding factor at present which is grossly unfair as it should not be an admission criterion at all.

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 541 ✭✭✭Bristolscale7

The arguments are well known at this point:
    1. The constitution grants the right to discriminate.
    This is articulated along a spectrum from the tame end--an entitlement to a religious education--to full blown bigotry, "****'em let them leave the country if they don't like it."
    2. There is no problem.
    Also on a spectrum from "It's made up by over-educated D4 residents with pretty teeth." to "everyone gets a spot eventually."
    3. It's a resource issue.
    We need Schools for everyone and a hospital in every parish!

it wasn't my choice of analogy so you'll have to pick someone else up on the obfuscatory nature I'm afraid.

Well yes, it wasn't your analogy (that bit is true), but what you did do is to try and weaken the analogy by hiding detail. And by doing so you've shown your hand.

Let me simplify.

If there are 100 people and 50 places to be handed out this is a resources issue. You have identified that part.. .great.

Now the bit your omitting is that if you have 100 people with 50 places to be handed out, but 50 of the people with a baptism cert get first dibs. Do you maintain that this is still fair and ONLY a resourcing issue?

However I will point out that you didn't fix my point, you just wrote your own to suit your point of view;

Your point of view on that analogy omitted the little fact that religion was being used to exclude.
    I'd appreciate it if you didn't try to make it look like you're quoting me

No it's doesn't 'look like' I'm quoting you .... I am 'actually' quoting you HERE from HERE. That is a direct quote. Then I pointed out your omission.
    when in fact you're just making your own little story up :)
    Ahh now, the little story on educational exclusion isn't that little is it. But I suppose if it doesn't affect you then it's more of an annoyance than an issue.
    if your story includes that fact that people aren't being treated because there aren't enough resources to treat them, then yes, it's a resourcing issue.

No that's the 'little story' that's taking place in your head, you're omitting the minor detail (also known as the thread title) that people get priority because of religion.

I would be interesting to see what you'd do if it were scrambling for lifeboats on the titanic. You'd be pushing your way past women and children to get on the lifeboat replying ...."it's a resourcing issue, deal with it".
    Sounds like you have a plan... Are you intending on bidding to take over hospitals?
    No the plan to split out state institutions such as hospitals according to religious beliefs is absurd.... I'm sure you'll agree.

Well yes, it wasn't your analogy (that bit is true), but what you did do is to try and weaken the analogy by hiding detail. And by doing so you've shown your hand. Let me simplify. If there are 100 people and 50 places to be handed out this is a resources issue. You have identified that part.. .great. Now the bit your omitting is that if you have 100 people with 50 places to be handed out, but 50 of the people with a baptism cert get first dibs. Do you maintain that this is still fair and ONLY a resourcing issue?
    That certainly doesn't look like simpflying; that looks entirely like changing the proposition (again, oddly enough). But it remains the cases, that if there are more candidates than places, there is a resourcing issue. The methodology used to discriminate between them for the places is simply a matter of preference; you would prefer one other than the one many schools use. It remains the case that if there were enough places, no discrimination would be required.
    Your point of view on that analogy omitted the little fact that religion was being used to exclude.
    So you added what you wanted to what I said; that's not quoting me, that's writing your own point and attributing it to me.
    No it's doesn't 'look like' I'm quoting you .... I am 'actually' quoting you HERE from HERE. That is a direct quote. Then I pointed out your omission.
    Nope, a direct quote would be what I said. You didn't quote what I said, you rewrote it to include what you wanted, then placed it in quotes as if I said it. Not 'actually' quoting me, 'actually' deliberately misrepresenting me. And then trying to pretend you're not!
    Ahh now, the little story on educational exclusion isn't that little is it. But I suppose if it doesn't affect you then it's more of an annoyance than an issue.
    Well... The little one you showed is little enough I think. I suppose if you want to present a bigger one you might try to do it without fibbing about your quotes :)
    No that's the 'little story' that's taking place in your head, you're omitting the minor detail (also known as the thread title) that people get priority because of religion.
    Not in hospitals they don't... Are you loosing track of the stories?
    I would be interesting to see what you'd do if it were scrambling for lifeboats on the titanic. You'd be pushing your way past women and children to get on the lifeboat replying ...."it's a resourcing issue, deal with it".
    Well, thanks for telling me what I'd do. I imagine I'd have nothing at all to say if you weren't around to write it down for me!
    No the plan to split out state institutions such as hospitals according to religious beliefs is absurd.... I'm sure you'll agree.
    Theres a plan to 'split out' hospitals according to religious beliefs? Is this another one of those things that you're 'not' making up?

This talk of a 'resources issue' is, frankly, bollocks. Every child gets a school place. Somewhere. Eventually.
    Finally! Something we agree on.... I haven't heard of a single child who is not in school because of denominational schools preferring their own religion.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Finally! Something we agree on.... I haven't heard of a single child who is not in school because of denominational schools preferring their own religion.

Yep, once they realise they're going to have to lie about their families religious beliefs in order to get a place in a school, they usually get there eventually. Or maybe you hadn't heard of the many cases where parents were getting their children baptised just to get into the local school.

Religious discrimination. Simple and shameful as that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

smacl wrote: »
    Yep, once they realise they're going to have to lie about their families religious beliefs in order to get a place in a school, they usually get there eventually. Or maybe you hadn't heard of the many cases where parents were getting their children baptised just to get into the local school.

Religious discrimination. Simple and shameful as that.
    Pretty much everyone we know who baptised in any christian denomination cited access to schools as the number one reason for getting the children baptised. Me and my husband are constantly asked why we don't make life easier and just get the water splash done.

Yep, once they realise they're going to have to lie about their families religious beliefs in order to get a place in a school, they usually get there eventually. Or maybe you hadn't heard of the many cases where parents were getting their children baptised just to get into the local school. Religious discrimination. Simple and shameful as that.
    Hmm. If they all didn't lie though.... then maybe they wouldn't have to lie? It certainly seems people will do whatever they think they need to in order to get the school place they want for their child, in religious ethos schools no less.
    I still can't see anything wrong about religious schools preferring religious pupils though, even if parents behave in a somewhat shameful way to get their children into them; you have to have at least a little forgiveness for parents who only want the best for their children, don't you?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Can the Government not just tell the lunatics to enjoy their magical homophobic friend in their own time and leave schools free to teach useful stuff?
    You're not going to win many friends with an attitude like that.

Cut out the wayward fist-waving.

robindch wrote: »
    You're not going to win many friends with an attitude like that.

Cut out the wayward fist-waving.

To be fair my post wasn't exactly 100% serious robindch. I don't really trust fist wavers either, they usually try to provoke an emotional response rather than a rational one and sadly they're often successful.

But religious discrimination in schools is a serious issue and it's great pity and shame that our government doesn't appear to agree that it's a serious issue. They're more than happy with the status quo, even though it truly is a ludicrous situation.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Hmm. If they all didn't lie though.... then maybe they wouldn't have to lie? It certainly seems people will do whatever they think they need to in order to get the school place they want for their child, in religious ethos schools no less.

No, if they didn't lie they wouldn't get a place in their local state funded school.
    I still can't see anything about religious schools preferring religious pupils though, even if parents behave in a somewhat shameful way to get their children into them; you have to have at least a little forgiveness for parents who only want the best for their children, don't you?

Gosh, really? Perhaps these people are just having a bit of a laugh by subscribing their children to a religion they have no interest in or respect for? Or why exactly do you think this shameful behaviour is taking place in the first place?

The only shameful behaviour I see is state funded religious discrimination in our education system.

• Advertisement

But religious discrimination in schools is a serious issue [...]
    I don't think anybody here will disagree with that!

FYI, the objection to your earlier post was for using the word "lunatics" - not all religious people are lunatics and it's not useful to suggest that they are.

But religious discrimination in schools is a serious issue [...]
    I don't think anybody here will disagree with that!

FYI, the objection to your earlier post was for using the word "lunatics" - not all religious people are lunatics and it's not useful to suggest that they are.

Ah in fairness they are robindch, they're all stone, bat sh1te insane ;-)

They might sometimes behave that way, but no, the vast majority are not insane - some are misguided, some have never thought about religion properly, some are using it for political or other gain and, yes, some are deranged - but they're in the minority.

No, if they didn't lie they wouldn't get a place in their local state funded school.
    Why not? Apparently there wouldn't be enough 'real' adherents of the religion, so they should be fine, shouldn't they? It seems it may be the people pretending to be religious rather than the people who are religious at the root of the problem you think exists.
    Gosh, really? Perhaps these people are just having a bit of a laugh by subscribing their children to a religion they have no interest in or respect for? Or why exactly do you think this shameful behaviour is taking place in the first place?
    Do you think so? Seems you have a lower opinion of them than I do so. I thought they were simply trying to gain advantage for their children regardless of their own religious outlook.... Via a strategy they wouldn't need to adopt if their co-irreligionists weren't doing the same, surely?
    The only shameful behaviour I see is state funded religious discrimination in our education system.
    Well, that's not exactly surprising, is it :)

They might sometimes behave that way, but no, the vast majority are not insane - some are misguided, some have never thought about religion properly, some are using it for political or other gain and, yes, some are deranged - but they're in the minority.

Ah I know ye, I'm only joking, sure most of the people I know believe in God (their levels of religous devotion vary but most are moderate to barely practicing) and they're all pretty normal people.

I think they've just become desensitised and accepting of 1 particular superstition because they were indoctrinated from such a young age. Most of them laugh off other superstitions such as ghosts and psychics etc but catholic God is real, because he was treated as unquestionably real by the state and schools.

It's a bizarre aul situation and it's unfortunate that the state allows and funds a catholic monopoly.

Why not? Apparently there wouldn't be enough 'real' adherents of the religion, so they should be fine, shouldn't they? It seems it may be the people pretending to be religious rather than the people who are religious at the root of the problem you think exists.

Hey hold on a second I thought you were saying it was 'resourcing' was at the root of the problem, so which is it? (Let me know if I've misquoted you above!).

I still can't see anything about religious schools preferring religious pupils though, even if parents behave in a somewhat shameful way to get their children into them; you have to have at least a little forgiveness for parents who only want the best for their children, don't you?

So those parents are shameful liars, but being the good christian you 'have to' forgive them... but only just 'a little' mind?

Please, do go on...

So those parents are shameful liars, but being the good christian you 'have to' forgive them... but only just 'a little' mind?

Please, do go on...

Ah, leave him alone, he's having to, kinda, slither uphill. Its not easy to keep stretching for more and more fragile arguments. (I think that's pretty much a complete metaphor mix there :D .)

Hey hold on a second I thought you were saying it was 'resourcing' was at the root of the problem, so which is it? (Let me know if I've misquoted you above!).
    I'm guessing you missed the exchanges since that discussion where Smacl was telling us about the people who are lying about their families religious beliefs in order to have their children prioritised in schools?

• Advertisement

Please, do go on...
    Not my choice of words... Smacl again I'm afraid. Starting to sound like you have it in for the arguments he's presenting :)

Advertisement