Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

School patronage

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

What I've been suggesting is that the teaching of religion is not the "waste of time" some suggest it is.
    I agree it's not a "waste of time". It is a shameless abuse of the trust of a child to tell him or her a series of outrageous, self-serving lies.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

They are not public schools.

They are state funded, religious ethos, private schools.

The state has full responsibility for how the children are treated in them, just because its catholic ethos does not mean they can do what they want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭I Heart Internet

lazygal wrote: »
    So let the church pay for their own schools and stop taking state money.

Why?

How would you rate the RCC's record of childcare in this country?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Why?

Because children deserve better than having to endure state funded indoctrination.

• Advertisement

robindch wrote: »
    I agree it's not a "waste of time". It is a shameless abuse of the trust of a child to tell him or her a series of outrageous, self-serving lies.

Says you. But opinions differ.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

ITo date it's been done (for better or worse) by using existing church-run schools with an opt-out of religious aspects.

There is no opt-out,

Religion is already integrated into other subjects, hell you yourself have said you'd like it that way also. So you yourself prefer that there is no way of opting out.

Cabaal wrote: »
    Now you're just trolling
    :rolleyes:

If anything moving religion to church's makes far more sense, we know from the RCC own stats that Church's are under used so running a Sunday school service either before or after mass makes perfect sense.

This ensures parents are more involved as well, after all little kids need their mammy and daddy* to bring them to the building of the holy god and they'll be bringing them to mass every week anyway...won't they? :)

*I say mammy and daddys because we know the RCC doesn't like daddys and daddys or mammys and mammys.

I agree with an awful lot of what you said there.

I think no-one should rely on schools to teach their children abour their faith and families are the primary places to do this. Sunday schools and adult faith formation should be much more widely available than it is.

But faith formation in schools is fine, as far as it goes.

Because children deserve better than having to endure state funded indoctrination.

What about an education according to their parents wishes?

Parents can indoctrinate their children in their own time with their own money like any other non curriculum hobby.

• Advertisement

There is no opt-out,

Religion is already integrated into other subjects, hell you yourself have said you'd like it that way also. So you yourself prefer that there is no way of opting out.

I was giving examples of how it might be done - it doesn't appear to be the case at the moment. According to Minister Quinn it's a very black-and-white choice - either the kids learn maths or they learn about Jesus.

Yeah, what about that?
    What about that none existent opt-out?

Says you. But opinions differ.
    So you think it's good to tell self-serving lies to kids under threat of burning in hell for eternity?

Parents can indoctrinate their children in their own time with their own money like any other non curriculum hobby.

It's their parents taxes that pay for it.

It's their parents taxes that pay for it.

My taxes pay for it too. Maybe the churches could issue refunds if you don't use it.

So you think it's good to tell self-serving lies to kids under threat of burning in hell for eternity?

"And when did you stop beating your wife?" :rolleyes:

It's good to teach children about the christian faith. It's good that religious communities have the right to educate their children in an ethos they want.

My taxes pay for it too. Maybe the churches could issue refunds if you don't use it.

I don't like how all of my taxes are spent (I hate CIE for example)

"And when did you stop beating your wife?" :rolleyes:

It's good to teach children about the christian faith. It's good that religious communities have the right to educate their children in an ethos they want.

Only the Christian faith? What's wrong with the other faiths?

How would you rate the RCC's record of childcare in this country?

Disasterous in places.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

The state should determine an appropriate curriculum - not the parents.

If the parents wish to have their children instructed in ballet, karate or fairytale-ism then so be it. But it should be done after school at the parents expense.

By the way if religion is such an important aspect of an education system, why aren't u pushing to have it made compulsory at University level?
    That would be just ridiculous now wouldn't it? Exactly!

• Advertisement

I don't like how all of my taxes are spent (I hate CIE for example)

Its not simply a case of not liking,
    Its a case of discrimination against none Catholics in state funded, state responsible schools

By the way if religion is such an important aspect of an education system, why aren't u pushing to have it made compulsory at University level?
    That would be just ridiculous now wouldn't it? Exactly!

Only if you consider primary education to be equivalent and as fundamental as university education.

• Moderators Posts: 51,846 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

They are not public schools.

Then the state should definitely cut funding until it can provide a public school system.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,562 ✭✭✭eyescreamcone

Only if you consider primary education to be equivalent and as fundamental as university education.

Get them young I think you mean ;-)

Only the Christian faith? What's wrong with the other faiths?

The absence of Christ. Other than that they're A-OK with me.

Primary education sets the building blocks for a child's future education, its pretty important.

How a kid interacts in primary school can have a long lasting impact on their later life and education, of course you know that so thats why you are all for "get them while their young"

robindch wrote:
    It's good to teach children about the christian faith.
    So unbelievers burning in hell is one of these optional catholic things?
    It's good that religious communities have the right to educate their children in an ethos they want.
    Just a thought, but what about keeping schools for education and churches for indoctrination?

Primary education sets the building blocks for a child's future education, its pretty important."

That was my point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

I'm sure many won't agree with me but I've always thought it a major failure in imagination to suggest that the teaching of religion (in primary schools) cannot be made to have great benefits to other aspects of education.

It's akin to suggesting that learning from a history book doesn't improve a child's reading ability. Or that learing about nature doesn't improve one's spelling and vocabulary. Or that memorising the names of the 12 apostles or the 10 commandments doesn't improve memory skills.

People may be entirely against it for other reasons, but suggesting that 2.5 hours per week on religion is somehow "wasted" or dead-time is wrong.
    What literacy improvements could be made in a religious class that couldn't be made by using the time for more English classes, or classes which teach about all religions?

There is no justification using 2.5 hours a week teaching about Ikkle Baby Jesus when so many young people are leaving school with insufficient numeracy skills.

• Advertisement

So unbelievers burning in hell is one of these optional catholic things?

I prefer to focus on the fact that God is very merciful and that even a bad-guy like me might be saved.
    Just a thought, but what about keeping schools for education and churches for indoctrination?

Good start. But what about church-run schools to add depth?

Advertisement